3rd & 8, late,Boys down by 5, which QB and WR were best

12+88=7

Reaction score
No Dak and his WRs included on this list?

Have people forgotten Dak's 14 game winning drives in only 4 years so far, which is half of Tony Romo's franchise-leading 29 game winning drives he accumulated in a 13 year career? Troy Aikman had 20 game winning drives during his 12 year career, and Roger Staubach had 21 game winning drives during his 11 year career.

If one does the math (comparable % to years played) and each QB's ability to scramble to give their WRs time to get open, I'll take the one ones missing from this OP's list: Dak Prescott and his WRs.

It's one play. It has to be Staubach to Pearson.

Pearson was the best route runner Dallas has ever had.

Example, look at the play BEFORE the Hail Mary. That answers this question.

12+88=7

Reaction score
There's perseption, then there's reality.

Post some actual stats if you can find them.

In my humble opinion, Michael Irvin was the best receiver the Cowboys have ever had. And on 3rd down, he'd be doubled and still get open.

I have always said, if there was a time machine or the rules of the 70s were never changed through time the perception of many wide receivers would be changed.

CBs could hold receivers till the ball was in the air. Imagine Irvin who complained on every down dealing with this. Best example is Pat Fisher 5'9" covering Harold Carmichael 6'8". Fisher was able to cover Carmichael because of the rules. Without those rules Fisher wouldn't be able to play CB.

csirl

Reaction score
If it were a 3rd and long, it would be 8 to 88. But this is a classic short pass over the middle from 8 to 84.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
3rd & 8, late, Boys down by 5, which QB and WR were best

The candidates are:

Roger to Drew Pearson
Roger to Tony Hill
Danny White to Drew Pearson
Danny White to Doug Cosbie
Troy to The Playmaker Michael
Troy to Novacek
Romo to T.O.
Romo to Jason Witten
Meredith or Morton to Bob Hayes

My top two choices:
Roger to Drew Pearson
I like this thread. This is good convo.
Props.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
So could Romo.

True but he barely played in big games. Jerry and Jason have the most blame but Romo wasn’t a winner. Winners don’t go to Mexico the week before the biggest game of their life. 2 playoff wins in about a decade.

timb2

Reaction score
Troy to Novacek for a 1st down

Last 2 minutes of a game?
Roger to Pearson

Too bad they separated but Prescott to Beasley was good on 3rd downs also.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Romo to Witten
to Dez
to TO
to Crayton (except in the playoffs for the would be game winner against the Giants)
to Austin
to Holley
to Robinson
to Williams (smh if you think I'm talking about Roy)

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
:bow:ROGER TO DREW:bow:
TIME.
AFTER.
TIME.
AFTER.
TIME.
AFTER.
TIME.
AFTER.
TIME.
And not even close. Captain Comeback ... didn't get that name for any other reason. That's Roger! Drew “Mr. Clutch” Pearson. Legit reasons they earned those names. I feel for you young whippersnappers that missed the excellence and excitement of those 70's teams.

Drew ... the most famous catch in Cowboy history.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

The candidates are:

Roger to Drew Pearson
Roger to Tony Hill
Troy to Novacek
Romo to T.O.
Romo to Jason Witten

My top two choices:
Roger to Drew Pearson
Troy to Jay Novacek. Without a doubt that’s what I would take

Beaker42

Reaction score

The candidates are:

Roger to Drew Pearson
Roger to Tony Hill
Troy to Novacek
Romo to T.O.
Romo to Jason Witten

My top two choices:
Roger to Drew Pearson
Troy to Novacek - hands down.

irishline

Reaction score
No Dak and his WRs included on this list?

Have people forgotten Dak's 14 game winning drives in only 4 years so far, which is half of Tony Romo's franchise-leading 29 game winning drives he accumulated in a 13 year career? Troy Aikman had 20 game winning drives during his 12 year career, and Roger Staubach had 21 game winning drives during his 11 year career.

If one does the math (comparable % to years played) and each QB's ability to scramble to give their WRs time to get open, I'll take the one ones missing from this OP's list: Dak Prescott and his WRs.

Roger's career record was 85-29. He only had 21 career 4th quarter comebacks because his teams took care of business early and didn't have to come back often. In 11 years Staubach only had 5 more losses total than Dak has in 4 (though this to me is a reflection of the team more than just the QB). As a full time starter (8 years) he lost more than 4 games only twice (5 once and 6 once).

If you are going to use career statistics at least give them context.

For me its Roger to Drew all day. Though Troy to Michael was a thing of beauty as well.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Roger's career record was 85-29. He only had 21 career 4th quarter comebacks because his teams took care of business early and didn't have to come back often. In 11 years Staubach only had 5 more losses total than Dak has in 4 (though this to me is a reflection of the team more than just the QB). As a full time starter (8 years) he lost more than 4 games only twice (5 once and 6 once).

If you are going to use career statistics at least give them context.

For me its Roger to Drew all day. Though Troy to Michael was a thing of beauty as well.
Roger was definitely my choice when considering his mobility and competition he competed against during the 70s. Those players of the 70s were very good but not as fast/quick as today's players. That gives me pause and wonder if someone like Roger could be able to withstand the quicker/faster rush coming from today's bigger/faster/quicker players? This is why I chose Dak.