3rd & 8, late,Boys down by 5, which QB and WR were best

Red Dragon

Reaction score
My gripe with Witten is that too often he ran a route short of the first down line on crucial 3rd downs, and was stopped short of the first down. I dont know if that's his fault or the play designer's fault.

If the OP had asked about third and short, I pick Romo to Witten - but if a third and longer, has to be Romo to Dez.

Owens, now, was a strange guy. He could make fantastic pirouetting twisting diving catches with one hand......but then drop a pass thrown squarely into both of his hands.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't trust Aikman's accuracy if protection breaks down. At least Romo and Dak can throw on the move. Romo had Witten in his prime, he'd prob be my pick.
Too young to remember Staubach I assume?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Roger was definitely my choice when considering his mobility and competition he competed against during the 70s. Those players of the 70s were very good but not as fast/quick as today's players. That gives me pause and wonder if someone like Roger could be able to withstand the quicker/faster rush coming from today's bigger/faster/quicker players? This is why I chose Dak.
You can't take players and move them around different eras. The only fair way to judge them is within the era they played.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I have to go with Staubach to Drew Pearson.

I'd have to agree with that -- they were the bread and butter of that offense for many years.
It's really a shame Drew Pearson's playing time got cut short by that auto accident. :omg:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You can't take players and move them around different eras. The only fair way to judge them is within the era they played.
Yes, I understand, but then why have a discussion about comparing every decade of Cowboys and choosing which pair was best? Every decade had different levels of competition in relation to the speed and strength of the game. The human species hasn't, changed, but the anatomical and physiological part of the game has.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, I understand, but then why have a discussion about comparing every decade of Cowboys and choosing which pair was best? Every decade had different levels of competition in relation to the speed and strength of the game. The human species hasn't, changed, but the anatomical and physiological part of the game has.
I suspect the idea was which was best for their time, but I can't say for sure.

75boyz

Reaction score
Roger's career record was 85-29. He only had 21 career 4th quarter comebacks because his teams took care of business early and didn't have to come back often. In 11 years Staubach only had 5 more losses total than Dak has in 4 (though this to me is a reflection of the team more than just the QB). As a full time starter (8 years) he lost more than 4 games only twice (5 once and 6 once).

If you are going to use career statistics at least give them context.

For me its Roger to Drew all day. Though Troy to Michael was a thing of beauty as well.

Outstanding contextual presentation.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Having seen every combination listed in the OP play, it’s not that close-
Roger to Drew.

Those two made the most big plays in big moments in Cowboys history.
Troy to Irvin second.

Sorry...any listing of Romo to TO or Witten....I loved Romo and mean no disrespect to Witten or TO either. But those guys didn’t make huge plays in huge games...they just didn’t. Sadly, they just didn’t play in that many big games.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Based on reputation, Staubach and Pearson.

Based on whom I’ve seen play, Romo and Dez.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
From the list I would go with Aikman to Irvin. However, I was very surprised that Roger to Preston Pearson wasn't on the list. That who first came to my mind when I saw the question.