Drafted by Cowboys 3rd Round, Pick 90 - Cowboys Draft G Connor McGovern Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You can find guys in the first three rounds that can start or be major contributors in year one and It's not an agenda, the tackle posiiton situation is a desperate need on this team...Smith is going to miss time this year, that is an absolute given with his back, Fleming is a huge drop off from Smith when healthy and the tackle posiiton is razor thin on this team....
Exactly. And doesn’t that prove that taking ol is a good move?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
this team doesn't value 1T or S, year after year you guys are let down.

I love this McGovern pick a lot, cause i think C. Williams sucked at LG, this guy should easily win that position and can also be insurance for Fredbeard....kudos to the FO.
You guys don’t seem to grasp that it typically takes a year for rookies to show. Especially guys not taken in the first round.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
5 best lineman will start. Simple stuff.
oh really, so if the best five linemen are all guards, are they playing???

this has nothing to do with McGovern, I think he's a good player and a good value where they got him but that's the least of the cowboy needs on this offense...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
How long since this front office put together a championship team? I have every right to question this pick. Last year we dont take a safety I wanted justin Reid and we take connor Williams who didnt contribute now same thing again this year.
Of course you do but you look like an idiot in the process. It’s like you actually think you know better than the McClay and his scouts.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Of course you do but you look like an idiot in the process. It’s like you actually think you know better than the McClay and his scouts.
Maybe not mcclay but def better than the Jones'. Give me a team for 25 years bet I make a conference championship

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

this has nothing to do with McGovern, I think he's a good player and a good value where they got him but that's the least of the cowboy needs on this offense...

You can’t be stupid enough to think that a guys can’t play other positions on the line? Sober up and maybe your brain will work better in the morning,

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

So if they got the 15th best te you think he would start for the cowboys and be a star from day 1? Lol

Genius stuff.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
You can’t be stupid enough to think that a guys can’t play other positions on the line? Sober up and maybe your brain will work better in the morning,

yeah here's a tip fo you......every time you hear garrett or the clown GM tell you player A can play multiple positions, alarm bells should go off in your head, because what they really mean is, we think he's good at multiple posiioins, just not not GREAT at any one of those positions......

RandyOh

Reaction score
He’s a late 3rd round pick with the potential to be a high end starter at multiple positions. Why is everyone mad? Collins and Looney will be free agents after next year and will have earned pay days we simply can’t match. It’s a pick for 2020 and possibly the next 10 years. Reaching for a safety in the 3rd wasn’t gonna make up for passing on Rapp or Thornhill in the 2nd.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst

Draft Projection
Rounds 2-3

NFL Comparison
Rodger Saffold

Overview
Reliable run blocker with NFL-ready size and strength but exploitable holes in his pass sets that need to be addressed as quickly as possible. His starting experience at both center and guard could bring additional interest in McGovern, who would be a bigger, stronger option at center for teams facing odd-front power in their division. He is a good fit in gap and inside-zone run schemes, but his tendency to over-set in pass protection could be challenging to correct. He's an early starter as a Day 2 pick, but Year 1 could have ups and downs.
Strengths
  • Starting experience as both a guard and center
  • NFL body type with broad upper body and good lower-body thickness
  • Works well in double teams
  • Can punch and carry target while the double block settles in
  • Stays wide and can play wide
  • Good catch-run-and-secure transitioning on zone blocks
  • Bends effectively for desired pad level
  • Able to dig opponents anchor out on down blocks
  • Consistent hand placement as run blocker
  • Not easily bull-rushed
  • Can open hips and make athletic recoveries when beaten
  • Decent redirect power in pass protection.
Weaknesses
  • Hands too wide in pass protection
  • Needs more consistent angles up to second level
  • Inconsistent timing up to second block on combos
  • Measured lateral movement lacks desired quickness
  • Uses gallop steps to mirror edge-running 3-techniques
  • Tends to over-set and open inside counters
  • Gets caught out over his toes
  • Will lean and lunge for redirect in pass protection
  • Inside post becomes a target due to over-sets
  • Needs better reaction time and awareness to twists
Sources Tell Us

"He's one of my favorite guards because he's got real size and real power. A lot of college linemen are coming in so light that it takes time to get them big and strong enough to play." -- Offensive line coach for NFC team

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/connor-mcgovern?id=32194d43-4741-7420-d3a4-ecbbf78bc788

I thought we were already pretty loaded on the oline, particularly in the interior.

Easy enough to cut SuaFilo. But Looney? And I heard they liked Redmond.

I had always thought that Williams was pegged for RT, but had recently given up on that. But I don't see them using a 3rd on a guy they don't at least hope to start by 2020, and McGovern aint playing RT, and Williams aint sitting.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Truth be told, I like this.

La’El Collins is one of the most overrated players. He is not that good at RT. He never has been. He has been living off the fact he was “supposed” to be a first round pick. He is really just a mediocre RT.

This is his last season with the cowboys.

Connor Williams is the future at RT and as a penn state alum who watches a lot of PSU games, I think McGovern can be a beast at LG.

Reaction score
One thing to consider: Collins had a torn rotator cuff, had surgery, and will be out until training camp at the earliest. I think Connor Williams, not Fleming, takes all those mini camp reps at RT. And McGovern takes all the starting LG reps. And you see how the "OL of the future" looks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.