News: 4 Cowboys Fined For Salvation Army Celebration

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would not be totally out of the question that Roger Goodell made it a priority to fine the team for any Salvation Army celebrations six years ago:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...oversize-salvation-army-kettle-after-scoring/

Ezekiel Elliott won’t be fined for his Salvation Army kettle hop celebration
By Des Bieler and Cindy Boren | The Washington Post
December 19, 2016

<snip>

Elliott earned a 15-yard penalty for using a “prop” in a touchdown celebration and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones dared the league to fine the team for its kettle placement.

“I think the Salvation Army should give him the highest award,” Jones said after the game (via ESPN). “My dream would be for the NFL to really fine me a lot of money and I’ll take them to the Supreme Court and we’ll get the Salvation Army more attention than anybody can get them. So let’s go.”

<snip>

Goodell probably chuckled and said, "Okay."

Mannix

Reaction score
So our players can't jump in the salvation army kettle but the Green Bay players can jump in the stands. Yeah there's no hypocrisy there at all. Why can't we develop our own traditions?
The BIGGEST hypocrisy involving all of this is the fact that "The Emmitt rule" was put into play because supposedly him taking off his helmet in the End Zone caused undue delay in the game....but then they grandfather the Lambeau Leap in which caused 10x more delay. I better watch what I say here because I don't want to get benched for dropping a really bad word, but the NFL office can go sit and spin. If this was ANY OTHER team, it would make news come Monday morning....but its the Cowboys, so there will be ZERO national outrage.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The BIGGEST hypocrisy involving all of this is the fact that "The Emmitt rule" was put into play because supposedly him taking off his helmet in the End Zone caused undue delay in the game....but then they grandfather the Lambeau Leap in which caused 10x more delay. I better watch what I say here because I don't want to get benched for dropping a really bad word, but the NFL office can go sit and spin. If this was ANY OTHER team, it would make news come Monday morning....but its the Cowboys, so there will be ZERO national outrage.
I have a feeling you're more outraged than any of the players are.

Scotman

Reaction score
It's ridiculous.

The same NFL that fines these players will use that clip to promote their product endlessly.

They spent a few seconds playing whack-a-mole and calling attention to the Salvation Army. It was one of the most wholesome celebrations the NFL will ever have.

Stupid decision to fine them as far as I'm concerned.

Mannix

Reaction score
I have a feeling you're more outraged than any of the players are.
The whole country should be outraged at The Goon and his NY Henchmen for continuing to issue fines for this....fining for something that takes place on THANKSGIVING of all days....and for bringing attention to something GOOD.....nothing but ego involved here.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's ridiculous.

The same NFL that fines these players will use that clip to promote their product endlessly.

They spent a few seconds playing whack-a-mole and calling attention to the Salvation Army. It was one of the most wholesome celebrations the NFL will ever have.

Stupid decision to fine them as far as I'm concerned.
Oddly, the same prediction was made when Zeke jumped in the kettle (I thought it would be used for promos too) but I don't remember ever seeing any ads featuring the scene.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The whole country should be outraged at The Goon and his NY Henchmen for continuing to issue fines for this....fining for something that takes place on THANKSGIVING of all days....and for bringing attention to something GOOD.....nothing but ego involved here.
And the fines will be used for something good. Whose ego is being fed by this - Goodell's? I doubt he gets any kind of rush from it. He'd probably just as soon not fine players for it, but if he let's it go, who's going to use it next, and for what? You know each player who scores is going to want to one up the last guy. Hell, by Christmas day, someone will fill it with rum and set it on fire! Yes, that's a huge exaggeration, but the point is that not every celebration is going to be wholesome, and since they (and probably most of us) don't want to see the kettle being used for something many would find disrespectful, they're going to fine anyone who uses it for anything...But that's just my opinion, I could be mistaken.

Mannix

Reaction score
Heaven forbid players get to have fun lol…
Cowboy players aren't allowed to have fun....I still remember the CeeDee wave fine last year after the NE game, and thinking that only against Dallas is something that ticky tack a fine....had it taken place in a losing effort, nothing would have happened. 99% in the League Office CANNOT stand Cowboy prosperity....and don't give me the "Oh, you don't think the league wants the Cowboys to be good for ratings" crap....NO, they don't....they know that people will tune into watch the Cowboys no matter what....and the majority of the country tunes in to root against them anyway.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...owboys-for-salvation-army-bucket-celebration/

he No Fun League strikes again.

Four Cowboys players were fined for their Thanksgiving celebration that incorporated the oversized Salvation Army bucket the NFL and the Cowboys place beyond the end zone.

Cowboys tight ends Dalton Schultz ($13,261), Jake Ferguson ($4,895), Peyton Hendershot ($3,944) and Sean McKeon ($4,994) were all fined, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

The players brought attention to the league’s Salvation Army donation drive, which is the whole reason the bucket is there, but that wasn’t enough to spare them from getting fined.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott said teammates would cover any fines. Technically, that would violate NFL rules, although there’s no real way for the NFL to know if a player quietly gives a teammate money to cover a fine.
So the NFL fines players for bringing attention to a worthwhile charity.
What's wrong with this picture?

ESisback

Reaction score
Because they used the prop or because they didn’t donate any money into it?

No, because they are Dallas Cowboys! I’ve seen countless plays this year where several players gathered in the end zone for long, choreographed celebrations. Any fines? Penalties?

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I've always found the fine amounts bizarre. Why not round the numbers to something sensible? Why was Schultz fined more? The amount Schultz was fined for is the standard for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. Were the other Tight Ends only semi-unsportsmanlike, to varying degrees?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've always found the fine amounts bizarre. Why not round the numbers to something sensible? Why was Schultz fined more? The amount Schultz was fined for is the standard for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. Were the other Tight Ends only semi-unsportsmanlike, to varying degrees?
I think it varies according to salary and number of offenses.