4 Cowboys who conceivably legitimately could be cut or traded before season starts

DCwarrior

Reaction score
You mean the person who started this thread is brilliant which is the opposite of brilliant and now somehow you're on this notion that this was a Jerry's idea? that's not happening none of those players are moving because we weren't aggressive in the offseason we're counting on those players it's not happening
:laugh:

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
They won’t cut Tank this year they need him, however next year is a different story though.

Cooks if someone emerges I can see them cutting him loose.

Wilson next year makes more sense

Steele- if there is no improvement during OTA’s mini camps that could’ve be a possibility.

They’re not going to do anything with the money if they do cut one or all of those guys. This is why I also don’t think we see any extensions getting done. They’re under the cap now.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
At the time I posted this I didn’t realize his 2025 salary is already guaranteed.

Why would they do that? They were in no danger of losing this player and he wasn’t all that great but he was guaranteed 50 million.

These two don’t have a clue. They truly don’t. Seems to get worse constantly.
I didn't notice that. I'm sure the reason they did that was trying to get a top tackle at a bargain tackle. Both sides were betting on him continuing to get better (the Cowboys thinking he'd be worth more than they were paying and Steele wanting guarantees for the same reason). But it's no surprise that it didn't work out that way considering he was coming off injury. We'll see if he bounces back this year.

Nemesis4u

Reaction score
Dont think anyone would want steeles contract unless the cowboys were willing to eat a part of it. Probably the most over paid player on the team besides dak.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
You mean the person who started this thread is brilliant which is the opposite of brilliant and now somehow you're on this notion that this was a Jerry's idea? that's not happening none of those players are moving because we weren't aggressive in the offseason we're counting on those players it's not happening
He was obviously joking.. sheesh.. lighten up Mrs Jones.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
All of this is possible but why do they need to save money? They are not signing any expensive free agents with the imagined savings anyway.
The cap is underwater.

They are still negative.

Praxit

Reaction score
..Dlaw's age will be a factor. He's still good, our best run stopper.

But the decline will set in sometime.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The cap is underwater.

They are still negative.
They have 3.8 million in cap space according to over the cap. Besides they still wouldn't need to cut or trade players to make room if they actually planned on signing someone which they don't.

plasticman

Reaction score
Why would any other team wish to assume the Cowboys' cap burden by trading for those players that underperform in proportion to their cap space??

Terrence Steel is an 11 million dollar cap hit after a disappointing season still recovering from injury.

Brandin Cooks will cost the Cowboys 10 million after catching an average of 3 passes a game last
season.

Does anyone seriously think that Lawrence is worth a 20 million dollar cap hit this season?

What would the Cowboys get in return even if there was interest? What would they do with the cap savings?

Why do they continue to backload and renegotiate contracts until they are better off with the dead money than they are keeping that player? Dead money is the same thing as having draft picks taken away.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They have 3.8 million in cap space according to over the cap. Besides they still wouldn't need to cut or trade players to make room if they actually planned on signing someone which they don't.
There’s still 17 mill in dead cap.

-26 million in the red.

I think they only count the top 51 until week 1 though.

So that’s 1.9 million free.

Someone is gonna get cut.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
No one is getting traded. This front office has no clue how to maximize their own player’s value. The Amari example is the most obvious, but they’ve let other opportunities slip away.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Reviewing OverTheCap.com, and specifically as it pertains to post-June 1...

• Cutting or trading Demarcus Lawrence would save $10m... but the only way that happens is if he sustains a serious injury (... knocks on wood).

• Cutting Terence Steele would do almost nothing, but trading him would save $8m... not the craziest notion if we were to see someone relatively unexpected emerge in preseason as a legitimate RT option. Serious injury doesn't necessarily make him expendable since he's signed for a few more seasons beyond; however his cap number will swell by $6m next season to hit $17m, so that still could be a factor (... knocks on wood).

• Cutting or trading Brandin Cooks would save $8m... he's vulnerable in both ways--if someone unexpected emerges as a legitimate #2 WR option, or if he has a serious injury (... knocks on wood). Still, from where I sit, it's harder to imagine any of our JV squad WRs rising up to that level so quickly, whereas there are a few different O-line scenarios I could imagine could evolve to make Steele's services dispensable.

• Cutting Donovan Wilson wouldn't do much, but trading him would save nearly $6m. It's not hard at all to imagine that being a consideration, given the proven depth we have at the safety position. He's got one more season at essentially the same cap savings this year or next, so serious injury (... knocks on wood...) doesn't necessarily rule him out, but if he's playing well, there's no added financial incentive to make a trade this year.

(Not advocating anything here, just passing along some intel that might merit knowing.)
Name the last time Jerry Dumbo GM Jones without Jimmy Johnson, Bob Ackles and John Wooten traded a legitimate starter getting good draft picks?