4 Teams showing intrest in Schulters including

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Schulters receiving interest from 4 teams
Free agent safety Lance Schulters has received interest from four NFL teams since his release on Thursday. Those teams are the Falcons, Cowboys, Rams, and Lions.

Advertisment

Schulters played for Falcons Head Coach Jim Mora when he was with the 49ers and Mora was defensive coordinator. Lions head coach Steve Mariucci was head coach of the 49ers when Schulters played there.

Schulters was released by the Tennessee Titans on Thursday after failing to reach and agreement with the Titans on a restructured deal. The 30-year-old Schulters suffered a season-ending foot injury in a 15-12 loss to Jacksonville on September 26.

Schulters signed as a free agent with the Titans in 2002 and matched a career high with six interceptions that season. In 2003, he led the secondary in tackles with 89, but did not have any interceptions.

Schulters spent his first four seasons with the San Francisco 49ers and was named to the Pro Bowl in 1999.

www.theredzone.com

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the redzone deleted the "expected" in front of those four NFL teams. Every other aticle has said the teams "expected" to show interest are.... not that they have actually shown interest.

minor detail, but it twists the facts a lil bit.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
the redzone deleted the "expected" in front of those four NFL teams. Every other aticle has said the teams "expected" to show interest are.... not that they have actually shown interest.

You hit the nail on the head, WG.

At any given time, we were "expected" to be interested in Kurt Warner, Kerry Collins, Jeff Garcia and others at the same time last offseason.

Did any of them even so much as visit Valley Ranch?

No.

It was more an instance of the media speculating, whether than there was any legitimate interest.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
I get the feeling that regardless of who we sign or don't sign, when the season comes we're going to be deep enough at the safety position to be pretty comfortable. Especially if we sign a guy like Schulters.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:

Crap. I thought that our team had finally seen the light. Actually thinking about getting a for real FS. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to continue hope.

Duane

Reaction score
The redzone is all over the place with their info. Sometimes they have a scoop and other times what they have isn't close to the truth.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Crap. I thought that our team had finally seen the light. Actually thinking about getting a for real FS. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to continue hope.

Honestly, I'm starting to think it may not matter what we do in the secondary anymore because we have too many young guys and out of position players in our new 3-4's front seven. I'm fearing that it could get ugly, ESPECIALLY if Ferguson goes down with an injury.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I believe there are two national media members who have demonstrated that they have pretty accurate sources into matters around the NFL: Pasquerelli and Gosselin. Neither one of them typically print their own speculation without something to back it up. When Pasquerelli says the Cowboys are interested, there's officially smoke.

Furthermore, why wouldn't we be interested? We have cap room, and FS is a position Jerry pointed out as a position that needed upgrading early in the offseason.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:
I believe there are two national media members who have demonstrated that they have pretty accurate sources into matters around the NFL: Pasquerelli and Gosselin. Neither one of them typically print their own speculation without something to back it up. When Pasquerelli says the Cowboys are interested, there's officially smoke.

Furthermore, why wouldn't we be interested? We have cap room, and FS is a position Jerry pointed out as a position that needed upgrading early in the offseason.
It's not a big deal if we're interested. I wouldn't be opposed if he was given a look-see. I still have an issue w/the injury he's coming off of, but if the 'boys sign him, I'll just have to trust the team docs.

I just noted that factually that report was wrong. The Lenny P article that the redzone ripped off actually has "expected" in the article. It has not been confirmed nor reported that any of the teams have contacted Schulters or his agents. When it does, then it should be reported in that manner. It's a minor thing, but I just like reports to be consistent.

Alexander

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

Why wouldn't we be interested in Peter Boulware? Jamie or Darren Sharper? Dwight Smith? These are all players that as soon as they hit the market, it was mentioned by someone that we were "interested".

Would you say any of the media-generated interest on any of these players amounted to anything?

This is another prime case. I think Mister Jones' checkbook shut tight after we signed our top four free agents. Jones may say "we need to upgrade it", but that does not mean we will do it with who we all think we should. And I think it certainly discounts anyone who we might have to pay a good sized amount of money. We have the cap room, but we do not appear interested in exhausting it.

Theoretically, his words were true. Reese could be considered an upgrade in their eyes.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Honestly, I'm starting to think it may not matter what we do in the secondary anymore because we have too many young guys and out of position players in our new 3-4's front seven. I'm fearing that it could get ugly, ESPECIALLY if Ferguson goes down with an injury.

Now this, I agree with.

I don't know. I look at the group of players we drafted and I see the makings of an awsome 4-3 or 4-6. I guess those who prefere the 3-4 do the same but I agree with you. If you don't have a NT that can flat out get it done, your baked in a 3-4. Right now, I only see one guy who can do that on our roster.

blindzebra

Reaction score
We are saving cap room to extend some contracts, look for us to re-work guys like Witten and Roy's contracts late in the year, just like we did with Ellis a couple of years ago.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Now this, I agree with.

I don't know. I look at the group of players we drafted and I see the makings of an awsome 4-3 or 4-6. I guess those who prefere the 3-4 do the same but I agree with you. If you don't have a NT that can flat out get it done, your baked in a 3-4. Right now, I only see one guy who can do that on our roster.

You're right Ferguson is the most irreplaceable guy on the defense. But no team can sustain a major injury at a key position and have it not hurt badly. How would Indy do if Manning got hurt? You just have to hope fergy stays healthy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't know if Dallas will go after him or not but 1 thing I do know, every time a player is released or on the market the media has us rumored as being 1 of the teams interested. I'm to the point of thinking the only reason they say that is because we have money under the cap

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Why wouldn't we be interested in Peter Boulware? Jamie or Darren Sharper? Dwight Smith? These are all players that as soon as they hit the market, it was mentioned by someone that we were "interested".

Would you say any of the media-generated interest on any of these players amounted to anything?

This is another prime case. I think Mister Jones' checkbook shut tight after we signed our top four free agents. Jones may say "we need to upgrade it", but that does not mean we will do it with who we all think we should. And I think it certainly discounts anyone who we might have to pay a good sized amount of money. We have the cap room, but we do not appear interested in exhausting it.

Theoretically, his words were true. Reese could be considered an upgrade in their eyes.

Darren Sharper was set to visit us but Minny did what we did with Rivera pretty much held him hostage and gave a contract he couldn't refuse.

As for Dwight Smith he is just as bad if not worse than Taylor he has pulled guns on people twice in the past 3 years for no reason. the most recent time two guys walked over to his car and asked for an autograph. and You would actually want him? I didn't think you were that big of an idiot....

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I don't know if Dallas will go after him or not but 1 thing I do know, every time a player is released or on the market the media has us rumored as being 1 of the teams interested. I'm to the point of thinking the only reason they say that is because we have money under the cap

There you go.

Nobody--not us the fans or the media--know what we are going to do.

Raise your hand if you saw the Izell Reese signing coming. Anyone? Anyone?

Some are no-brainers. If Parcells "knew" Schulters, it would be a natural.

I am just a little tired of the media trumping up interest when it either does not exist or is mild at best. All it does is generate false hope and dashed dreams once these players go elsewhere.

Alexander

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Darren Sharper was set to visit us ....

Far as I recall, he was just like Schulters.

We were "interested" supposedly. But it was not like we had any official visit scheduled.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Now this, I agree with.

I've said this quite a few times about depth at NT, but Pittsburgh did have an undersized unknown replace Hampton in their 3-4 last year named Chris Hoke. He is just under 300 pounds and did pretty good.

So, does Dallas have a Chris Hoke hiding on the roster? I still don't think Glover is a good full time 3-4 NT, but I was thinking other guys like Ratliff, Brooks, or maybe even Spears. Thoughts?