4-Win Division Champion is Possible

SumGuy

Reaction score
I believe there are some combinations where we could see a 4-win team go to the Playoffs as a Division champ. For example:

* Everyone in the division loses the rest of their games OUTSIDE of the division
* Dallas beats the Eagles and Giants (but loses to WFT)
* WFT Beats Dallas and Eagles

There are other combinations as well, but basically I'm saying it isn't entirely impossible that we see a Division champ with 4 wins, and it's maybe even probable that we see one with 5 or 6 wins.

This division has played 37 total games thus far -- 21 of these have been outside of the division. Out of these 21, we have gone 2-18-1 (with one of those being the miracle vs Atlanta).

We have 27 total games left to go -- 19 of these remaining are outside of the division -- the weakest teams on our combined schedules are Bengals, Browns, and 49ers (and none of these are easy games) -- I'd argue that the other remaining games are not winnable.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WHATLEAD.jpg

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would be hilarious to see this actually.

And 3 ways to look at this....

As long as we do not win the division. And get a top 5 pick. I think most would prefer this.
Win the division, but lose in the 1st round. Would hate to go a top 5 pick to the 19th. Playoffs would be great, but not for this to happen.
Win the division but be hot going into the playoffs, and win a game or 2. :laugh:. So would fans still want this, be 4-12 or 5-11 or 6-10, get to the NFCCG or even win a WC game, lose a divisional game. Still a worse pick, but go out with a winning attitude.

75boyz

Reaction score

As long as we do not win the division. And get a top 5 pick. I think most would prefer this.
Win the division, but lose in the 1st round. Would hate to go a top 5 pick to the 19th. Playoffs would be great, but not for this to happen.
Win the division but be hot going into the playoffs, and win a game or 2. :laugh:. So would fans still want this, be 4-12 or 5-11 or 6-10, get to the NFCCG or even win a WC game, lose a divisional game. Still a worse pick, but go out with a winning attitude.

Lol,
Adding to the other to tank or not to tank posts I remain consistent and support the Lose for the Greater good to come outcome.

See absolutely ZERO short or long term future roster improvement odds being improved by winning.

I am far from convinced even one playoff game could be won but am extremely confident in saying in the longest of long shots that the absolute ceiling is another one and done.

And even then, that would likely only be accomplished after winning some crazy tiebreakers or SOS criteria in order to even win this nightmare of a division, lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
Those end-of-the-season division games might well be hilarious, with both sides desperate to lose to avoid dropping 10+ draft slots!
No joke.

Knowing our luck, we'll win and get another instinct-less LB.

sunalsorises

Reaction score

Interesting. Dallas gets into the playoffs with 5 or 6 wins and basically forfeits a top 5 pick but wins a few playoff games and makes it the the NFC championship. Is this season still a failure?

Jipper

Reaction score
i just find it incredible to think that one of these 4 teams is going to be in the playoffs....none of them are playoff teams at this point, gonna be interesting to watch!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Those end-of-the-season division games might well be hilarious, with both sides desperate to lose to avoid dropping 10+ draft slots!

Players and coaches don't care about draft slots. They care about their own jobs. Looking bad isn't good for their careers. :rolleyes:

starfan1

Reaction score
I get some of the fans wanting to tank. I don't!! Im not certain this group of Bozos would pick right even if we were in the top 5. (Elliott). I simply cannot watch and wish for a cowboys loss if it happens so be it. My optomism can be tarnished with a lackluster performance against Minny but I think the last 2 games showed improvement and if we beat Minny there's no telling what can happen. I dont see no cant miss teams in the NFC. I see quite a few that are built a bit better but any given Sunday.

Heck what if A-rod gets hurt the packers are no bodies. Tampa Bay is up and down. well see how New Orleans plays with Jameis if brees is out a couple of games. Regardless I can see a few wins here as many as 6 and little as 0 and thats why you play the game.

Only fans think tank