#42 we trade away (plus Dat) for Howard

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Demarcus Ware is 6 to 7 years younger and a serious thought.....
Ware can play 4-3 DE, 3-4 olb....... :skins:

twa

Reaction score
Gee... a option. btw: are you a fan of the 3-4 :p:

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
twa said:
Gee... a option. btw: are you a fan of the 3-4 :p:

ahhh. I see now.

Boy, I feel silly for not picking up on this right away. Signing Howard would be a clear indicator that we're staying with a predomiantly 4-3 D, which would of course make Nors' endless forecasts to the contrary, wrong.

All the questions about paying for age (flying in the face of paying for Law) and other reasons given to NOT make this trade make complete sense.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Erik_H said:
ahhh. I see now.

Boy, I feel silly for not picking up on this right away. Signing Howard would be a clear indicator that we're staying with a predomiantly 4-3 D, which would of course make Nors' endless forecasts to the contrary, wrong.

All the questions about paying for age (flying in the face of paying for Law) and other reasons given to NOT make this trade make complete sense.
Bingo!

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I like Demarcus Ware as an alternative should we not land DJ or Merriman and he should be available with our #20.
If Dat goes, we need a MLB.
I like Robert McCune in that respect.

jbsg02

Reaction score
If Dat goes, I think Parcells starts Bradie James at MLB

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors said:
Demarcus Ware is 6 to 7 years younger and a serious thought.....
Ware can play 4-3 DE, 3-4 olb....... :skins:

and wont be there at 42

David

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Amazing you two seem to know so much about the future. Can I borrow that crystal ball? I could really use some winning lotto numbers right about now.

I think Ware will last till the second round. He may not last till #42, but he could last till the 2nd. He was impressive in his workouts, but let's not forget he didn't exactly play for USC (although he was a Trojan).

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Yesterday, 07:44 PM #15
Rack
Manster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darius won't be a Cowboy. No need to bother thinking about something that won't happen.

Looks like your crystal ball works just fine...

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
cowboygert said:
Ware will be gone by pick 25.

Extremely unlikely. He's a small school tweener in a draft class full of guys that bring similar things to the table. I'd say second round at best, maybe even later. For some reason fans fall in love with a guy they read about in Sporting News' draft guide and all of a sudden he shoots to the top of his draft class. Sorry, but Ware is going to have to stand in line with a whole bunch of guys like Pollard, Roth, Dan Cody, Tuck and Goddard, all of whom (except perhaps Goddard) are ranked as better talents by most draft experts.

Reaction score
Don't let Ware's small school fool you on his status...

With so many teams needing a QB killer, he won't last until the first 1/4 of the 2nd round...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Nors is just angry cos if we trade for Howard then the 3-4 is DOA.

Miki - actually its you, Hos and Sarge obsessed with 3-4. You have been dead *** wrong on it past year (it was NEVER going to happen). And you slide deeper into the trap.

At least get it right, I am opposed to Howard trade because we are giving a to be 29 year old non AllPro DE $16M SB, $35M Deal. And we lose a starting and productive LB and a #2.

If you did your homework on Howard you would know he played some 3-4 DE for Haslett last year. Had 8 of his sacks playing DT last year. AT 280 IS not an edge speed rusher. Played both DE/DT in college and is strong against run.

Howard is a natural 3-4 DE, and can also play 4-3 DE, 4-3 DT...... I see no DOA announcements. We will play a lot of 3-4 next year. See that guy Ferguson - he's a classic NT :p:

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
Don't let Ware's small school fool you on his status...

With so many teams needing a QB killer, he won't last until the first 1/4 of the 2nd round...

Uh-huh. I suppose Pollard, Roth, Blackstock, Tuck, Cody and Goddard will all be gone by then too (not to mention guys like Merriman and James, who I think we can all agree will, indeed, be gone). As I said, some of these guys have to fall, and Ware is more likely than most of the others.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
Miki - actually its you, Hos and Sarge obsessed with 3-4. You have been dead *** wrong on it past year (it was NEVER going to happen). And you slide deeper into the trap.

At least get it right, I am opposed to Howard trade because we are giving a to be 29 year old non AllPro DE $16M SB, $35M Deal. And we lose a starting and productive LB and a #2.

If you did your homework on Howard you would know he played some 3-4 DE for Haslett last year. Had 8 of his sacks playing DT last year. AT 280 IS not an edge speed rusher. Played both DE/DT in college and is strong against run.

Howard is a natural 3-4 DE, and can also play 4-3 DE, 4-3 DT...... I see no DOA announcements. We will play a lot of 3-4 next year. See that guy Ferguson - he's a classic NT :p:
Actually we've only been wrong in your mind. Sort of like the 46 defense you and I argued about. Playing "some" 3-4 doesn't mean much at all. We played "some" 3-4 too. Stunk at it in fact.

If we trade for Howard, and it looks like we are, it does not signal a switch to a 3-4. Want some evidence that you can't refute just like you couldn't the front 4 of the '85 Bears that played the 46? Here ya go. Count them with me Nors.

1...Ellis
2...Ferguson
3...Glover
4...Howard

4 solid front line Defensive players. What scheme do you run with 4 of those kinds of players? Hmm.

Now count with me all the LBs we have acquired or been rumored to be acquiring because Bill collects them.

~crickets~

Now, if all of the sudden there are rumors we are trading La'Roi Glover I will give your 3-4 scheme some serious consideration that we are moving there. Of course at the same time I will most likely point out to you that I have said all along that he does not fit the 3-4 scheme.

It's about personnel. If you do your homework, you'll realize that. Test at 6:00 pm tonight. ;)

Class dismissed.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Go see what Ravens are doing! Running a 3-4 and some 46 defense. Funny stuff.

Last 2 years you said never. Last year Parcells added 3-4 to training camp/play book and used it some.

We added a 3-4 NT. He's using it more in 2005.

Howard can play 3-4 defense as well as a 4-3, but that deal is not happening. Price in SB and draft pick and players way too steep. I can see why Saints trying to unload his salary.....

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-TOTAL/2004/regular?sort_col_1=4

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Actually we've only been wrong in your mind. Sort of like the 46 defense you and I argued about. Playing "some" 3-4 doesn't mean much at all. We plaed "some" 3-4 too. Stunk at it in fact.

If we trade for Howard, and it looks like we are, it does not signal a switch to a 3-4. Want some evidence that you can't refute just like you couldn't the front 4 of the '85 Bears that played the 46? Here ya go. Count them with me Nors.

1...Ellis
2...Ferguson
3...Glover
4...Howard

4 solid front line Defensive players. What scheme do you run with 4 of those kinds of players? Hmm.

Now count with me all the LBs we have acquired or been rumored to be acquiring because Bill collects them.

~crickets~

Now, if all of the sudden there are rumors we are trading La'Roi Glover I will give your 3-4 scheme some serious consideration that we are moving there. Of course at the same time I will most likely point out to you that I have said all along that he does not fit the 3-4 scheme.

It's about personnel. If you do your homework, you'll realize that. test at 6:00 pm tonight. ;)

Class dismissed.

Hos, I have to disagree with you on this one. Just because we have four fine front four players (assuming Howard gets onboard) doesn't mean all four will play every down. There will be times when some are out on rotation, out due to injury and schemes will change for different teams and even during games and on certain downs. So having the versatility to run either 4-3 or 3-4 makes it even more attractive to me. It certainly will cause teams to prepare for more and create more match up problems. We we exploit those matchup problems foreseen and those that arise during games.

I think we will run a combination of schemes this year according to who is here and healthy and how those personnel match the other team and situations. The addition of Howard and/or Abraham and others who play the 4-3 and/or 3-4 better just make things better IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
Go see what Ravens are doing! Running a 3-4 and some 46 defense. Funny stuff.

Last 2 years you said never. Last year Parcells added 3-4 to training camp/play book and used it some.

We added a 3-4 NT. He's using it more in 2005.

Howard can play 3-4 defense as well as a 4-3, but that deal is not happening. Price in SB and draft pick and players way too steep. I can see why Saints trying to unload his salary.....

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-TOTAL/2004/regular?sort_col_1=4

When BP was hired, guys started coming out of the wood work saying we were going to a 34. At that time, I said it would take a minimum of 3 years to be able to make that sort of move. Well, it's coming up on 3 years. We will not be going to a 34 this year. Perhaps next but if we sign Howard, I don't see why we would do this. As a change up, perhaps but not as a base. Everybody better get used to the idea of a 43 because Hos is correct. If we sign a Howard or Abrahams, that means 43. You don't spend the money we've spent on front four personel only to have them play a 34. Those guys will be our play makers. They will be on the field.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone said:
Hos, I have to disagree with you on this one. Just because we have four fine front four players (assuming Howard gets onboard) doesn't mean all four will play every down. There will be times when some are out on rotation, out due to injury and schemes will change for different teams and even during games and on certain downs. So having the versatility to run either 4-3 or 3-4 makes it even more attractive to me. It certainly will cause teams to prepare for more and create more match up problems. We we exploit those matchup problems foreseen and those that arise during games.

I think we will run a combination of schemes this year according to who is here and healthy and how those personnel match the other team and situations. The addition of Howard and/or Abraham and others who play the 4-3 and/or 3-4 better just make things better IMO.

I agree, a solid mix of 4-3 and 3-4 is ideal. We can still utilize Glover and Ellis, move the versatile players around and cause problems for offenses. Howard can play all the positions if signed....