42 year old Tom Brady very successfully runs the QB sneak, why not Dak!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Its actually a completely different play and far more risky. Turning and handing the ball to a rb gives the defense time to penetrate. A QB sneek is an automatic yard and a safe play which is why Brady runs it.
Why is this so complicated for some fans to understand? The sneak is not automatic, but if it is more effective than turning and handing off, ESPECIALLY if no one is over the center.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
For the last four years on 4th and 1, Brady has converted 8 of 12 and Zeke has converted 8 of 11.
What about when no one is over the center? Brady is 100% in this situation and Zek got stuffed last year vs the Rams to end our season in this situation! Smart teams, like NE, automatically run the sneak in this situation. We do not! This needs to change.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Last year vs the Rams in the playoffs our season basically ended late in the 4th quarter. On 4th and I, Dak turned and handed the ball to Zek who was 7 yards behind the LOS at the start of the play. Of course Zek was stuffed by Donaldson, Suh and half the Rams D. The QB sneak was wide open. A replay of the play shows a yard and a half gap between the 2 defenders on the left side of the center. Dak would have made the 4th down conversion easily by slanting slightly to the left on a QB sneak!!
Why doesn’t Dak run the QB sneak WAY more often on 3rd or 4th and 1. Brady is successful running the QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and 1 over 90% of the time. Dak is much more powerful than a 42 year old Brady. If the QB sneak is good enough for NE on 3rd or 4th and 1, how come it is not good enough for us? NE’s favorite play vs the Giants this Thursday was the basic QB sneak. It was successful EVERY time too!!

been asking the same question for years, applied to Romo as well.

I think the Patriots are just coached so damn well, their ability to execute is off the charts.

We don't have that luxury in Dallas and to be fair there's only one dynamic duo like Belichik & Ernie Adams and they're destroying the rest of the league

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
The point is Dak could run a QB sneak better than Brady if he wanted to, he is a much better runner on all counts.

The larger point is that its apples and oranges, Zeke is a better option running behind our OL in those situations than a QB sneak. For his career Zeke has converted 8 of 11 first downs on 4th and less than 3 yards.
Your wrong. If Dak focused on running the QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and 1 we would be more effective converting, ESPECIALLY, if no one is over the center. There is/was a reason why to of the best teams of all time( SF with Young and NE with Brady) consistently run/ran the QB sneak in these situations.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
been asking the same question for years, applied to Romo as well.

I think the Patriots are just coached so damn well, their ability to execute is off the charts.

We don't have that luxury in Dallas and to be fair there's only one dynamic duo like Belichik & Ernie Adams and they're destroying the rest of the league

The QB sneak is the simplest play in football. There is no excuse for Zek to get stuffed 3 yards behind the LOS when Dak can take the snap and find a crease. We have an All pro center and guard and a big strong QB in Dak. We should be as effective at the QB sneak as NE and they convert 90% of the time on the sneak.

visionary

Reaction score
Tom Brady: 274 career games, 1000 career rushing yards

Dak Prescott: 53 career games, 1066 career rushing yards

man some of you homers are so dense

that is the exact point of the OP, Dak is much more athletic and younger than Brady yet we didn’t run the QB sneak with him

stupid decision

but thank you for inadvertently making his point

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Last year vs the Rams in the playoffs our season basically ended late in the 4th quarter. On 4th and I, Dak turned and handed the ball to Zek who was 7 yards behind the LOS at the start of the play. Of course Zek was stuffed by Donaldson, Suh and half the Rams D. The QB sneak was wide open. A replay of the play shows a yard and a half gap between the 2 defenders on the left side of the center. Dak would have made the 4th down conversion easily by slanting slightly to the left on a QB sneak!!
Why doesn’t Dak run the QB sneak WAY more often on 3rd or 4th and 1.

Good point.

Hard to argue that Dak should be less successful at sneaks than Brady. Running more sneaks would also help Zeke's attempts at short yardage.

We've got a strong, tough, running QB. The team is better if we use those skills, whether it's sneaks, boots, or read options.

yimyammer

Reaction score
The QB sneak is the simplest play in football. There is no excuse for Zek to get stuffed 3 yards behind the LOS when Dak can take the snap and find a crease. We have an All pro center and guard and a big strong QB in Dak. We should be as effective at the QB sneak as NE and they convert 90% of the time on the sneak.

preaching to the choir amigo

what ru gonna do with jeri, spawn & stooges at the helm where winning is merely lip service

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Because Garrett is a clueless idiot. What more can you ask for.

It's something we didn't do for a long time with Romo, and likely before Romo, and maybe no one has gotten around to asking "Why don't we run Dak on sneaks?"

Or if they have, Garrett, in his usual game theoretic clueless binary fashion, said "Zeke is a better option", failing to understand that *both* is a better option than *either* alone. That does seem to be the way he thinks. Doesn't value inducing uncertainty in the opposition at all.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Zek over his career has converted around 50% of his 3rd or 4th and 1 plays, while Brady is about 90% on 3rd or 4th and 1 when he runs the QB sneak. When the Niners of the mid 80’s, with all their weapons, had a 3rd or 4th and 1, Steve Young more often than not ran the QB sneak and made it similar to Brady.

NE is what 0-1 on 4th down so they are last in the league? So what!

Zeke converted 13 of 17 4th down runs to first downs in his career.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliEz00/splits/

I can't tell what the stats on Brady are, as his sneaks get aggregated with sacks/scrambles as "runs".

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Tom Brady: 274 career games, 1000 career rushing yards

Dak Prescott: 53 career games, 1066 career rushing yards
Prescott: 26 years old/4 Years In NFL
Brady: 42 years old/19 Years In NFL

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
What a dumb thread ....... If Brady had Zeke in the backfield he would never run a QB sneak.
How did Zek running into the teeth of the Rams defense work out last year in the playoffs? The QB sneak was WIDE open with no defender over the center! You are disagreeing with Belichick and Bill Walsh two of the best coaches of ALL time!

Mannix

Reaction score
I honestly do not remember Steve Young ever getting stopped on a sneak....I would yell "SNEAK" every time it was 3rd or 4th and 1....he would go off tackle every time, and make it easily.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I honestly do not remember Steve Young ever getting stopped on a sneak....I would yell "SNEAK" every time it was 3rd or 4th and 1....he would go off tackle every time, and make it easily.
I remember that too. I also remember yelling at the TV right before Brady would QB sneak right up the middle vs us. Once in particular. We had no one over the center. How stupid can a defense be when playing Brady. Brady was probably laughing as he fell forward for the easy 1st down!!!