49er Fans Wondering Why We Like TO?

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I consider myself a die hard fan and (hopefully) a tiny bit "intelligent" about football. Frankly, the difference I see between SF, Philly and Dallas is that the Cowboys, the organization, the Star, the Silver and Blue, the legends and lore that are associated with the team are far bigger than Terrell Owens.

This is a team that has had it's share of controversies and controversial players. Heck, there are still some haters that go with the whole "Crackboys" angle when trying to diss me and my love for the team.

I think most intelligent Cowboys fans can see that Owens really hasn't been a problem. He seems to go out all out to help younger players, unlike some current/former players (Bledsoe, etc) by taking a more hands on approach versus the "tough love" tactic others implore.

He has had ONE off-field incident. It did nothing to harm the image of the NFL or the Cowboys organization as a whole, though many tried to push it in that direction.

He's emotional, this is nothing new; he's always been emotional. And I don't mean that whole "He's my quarterback man" thing either. THe guy is honest and maybe that's what turns some people off. He speaks his mind and gets crap for it. I think some players (and fans) are just used to the image/idea of the stoic monsters of the gridiron.

Some will say that he brings it on himself. The thing with Jeff Garcia was just his frustration. Going from catching passes from a HOF'er like Steve Young to Jeff Garcia is a serious downgrade (no offense to Jeff but he's no Steve). As hungry as Owens is to contribute and to win, I can see how he was frustrated and angry.

In Philly, I think Donovan McNabb probably had as much to do with the problems as Owens. Evidence of this is how quite a few of his teammates backed him up and generally spoke highly about Owens. McNabb was/is a media darling and Owens by this time had already been labeled a problem child. It was a no-win situation for him.

In Dallas, his biggest on-field mistakes have been drops, but the upside to when he does hang on is great.

So what is there to hate about Terrell Owens? If you get sucked into the tabloid-like sports media (ESPN) then I can see why you'd not like the guy but when you break down who he's been and what he's been to this team, he's everything we could want in a WR imo.

sorry i went off on a nutty tangent. I should have just said: I can't believe there are still bitter 49ers fans...get over it.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Matt;2504318 said:
Just seems kind of odd.. Even though he produces great numbers and all, they still have to bring up the star incident.

Here's a post by one...

"most intelligent cowboy fans dont like him thats why the ****** got booed during pregame introductions in Dallas last Sunday night

TO is a mockery not only to the NFL but in pro sports culture in general...he might be the most physically talented receiver of his era and he produces pro bowl stats annually...outside of him dropping passes, hes everything a fan could ask for physically in its play making receiver

yet he ran the head coach the offensive coordinator and the local kid pro bowl qb out of town in San Francisco (while they were still relevant)

he was a cancer in Philly even though he came so close to LEADING them to a super bowl win after coming back off a serious leg injury that most people that was courageous and gutsy enough just to risk his career to play in the super bowl...and how does he soak in some positive attention? he throws his HOF qb under the bus and in effect his entire team just days after a close loss in a super bowl

and now in dallas youd think at age 35 he would realize there arent many places he could start fresh again...even after embarrassing the franchise by spiking the ball twice on the star enough to prompt Emmit Smith to attempt to level him the second time around.
He's already called the offensive coordinator out all year long as well as dividing the locker room as well as some of the coaching staff...and lets not forget he was the reason Parcells left and phillips has won so many playoff games since Parcells left (wades 0-4 in the playoffs himself) hes publicly embarrassed the franchise alienated his overrated yet solid qb in romo and has had public spats with one of the top 5 TE in the game in witten...it would be nice if Ware just sucker punched TO and ended his season, but as long as Owens is jerry jones little buddy and jerrys still behaving like a publicity ***** Owens wont be going anywhere

TO must be the worst teammate in pro sports today if not of all time"

How do you guys feel about him? As a player/teammate?

really dislike him, he is a huge narcissist and thats a nice way to describe it

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Nav22;2504370 said:
Why do I like T.O.? Because he's a great player and he makes the Cowboys better.

That's enough for me... in fact, that's everything to me.

ditto. and OP it wasn't Emmitt who tried knocking him down it was George Teague. Emmitt after scoring ran to the star with helmet off knealed and slammed the ball down.