49ers are the blueprint for this team

Havic

Reaction score
The 49ers are built to succeed even with sub par QB play. How?

1. They are committed to running the ball well. WR's have to block if they want to be apart of the offense, same goes for tight ends.
2. This philosophy of having your WR's / TE's set the edge well means any running back off the street can succeed. We dont need to pay a RB 16 mil a season. We block well and any RB with talent will find success. Better yet, imagine what Pollard would do if he played for the 49ers?
3. Defensive line - They are stacked up front and dont need to blitz to get pressure to the QB.

Our offseason plans need to be focused on running the ball well so that our 40 mil QB can find success. We need to be investing in the O-line either via FA or draft, cut Cooper to resign some of the defense back, and get rid of Zeke. I dont care what the cap hit is at this point. The fact he played with torn PCL doesnt show toughness to me but selfishness in fear of losing his job to Pollard.

Aven8

Reaction score
We actually use to be a team just like them sort of. Outside of the defense. We had some nice pieces on D but never really dominating. Murray than Zeke were studs early on.

I do agree we need to copy them and Tenny however. We just need a new OC to do it.

kwcool619

Reaction score

1. They are committed to running the ball well. WR's have to block if they want to be apart of the offense, same goes for tight ends.
2. This philosophy of having your WR's / TE's set the edge well means any running back off the street can succeed. We dont need to pay a RB 16 mil a season. We block well and any RB with talent will find success. Better yet, imagine what Pollard would do if he played for the 49ers?
3. Defensive line - They are stacked up front and dont need to blitz to get pressure to the QB.

Our offseason plans need to be focused on running the ball well so that our 40 mil QB can find success. We need to be investing in the O-line either via FA or draft, cut Cooper to resign some of the defense back, and get rid of Zeke. I dont care what the cap hit is at this point. The fact he played with torn PCL doesnt show toughness to me but selfishness in fear of losing his job to Pollard.

Once upon a time this team was like that. I used to believe that many teams used our blueprint. Looking back, I am not so sure.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score

Because they have a better coach.

This was not their intention - this happened by accident. They made Garoppolo the highest-paid QB in the league in 2018. They did that because they thought he could be the best QB in the league. It turns out he wasn't, but they were still able to find a way to build a power running team around him to mask his deficiencies. That has more to do with Shanahan and his scheme than anything else.

Robster8989

Reaction score
That blueprint would start with a well coached team. Something we don't have currently.

Exactly.
Our HC is neither an innovative offensive mind, an innovative defensive mind, nor a leader of men.
He is a manager who is inadequate at in game managment as well as team and individual discipline.
His (and Daks) blaming of the refs is just pathetic.
I'm not a Moore fan either. We have 2 of the best wideouts in the game at YAC, but we run no crossing patters or set plays to get them the ball in space.
Personally I'd promote Quinn and bring in an OC who sees the potential to get those wideouts the ball. Coop and CD are playmakers, get them the ball. Quinn understands the defensive side of the ball and is a leader of men.

Robster8989

Reaction score

I agree with what you are saying, but the sad fact is we can't cut Zeke. The way we restructured him several times makes that nearly impossible this off season. Another bad decision on his contrcat (signing him to it was the first bad decision).
I like Zeke, he is a football player. Love watching lay wood in pass protection, but with his contract being what it is you need a playmaker, and he is no longer one.
Agree on the OL, but it will be hard with very limited resources.
If you cut Tyron after June 1, you save 13.5. But will you find a better LT thank Ty for that? Premium FA's go for over 20. We are picking late 1st in the draft, and the draft is no guarantee. I have a feeling we will bring him back and try to have depth for the inevitable missed games.
Collins was just pathetic. We could try to trade him or cutting him post June 1 would save 10 mil. I look seriously into that if I were GM.
Perhaps move him to LG and use Steele at RT may work. Collins could be a road grinder inside (like Martin).
Williams is not good enough and I'm starting to lean in the same direction with Biadasz.
If Linderbaum was available I'd jump at that, but doubt he lasts to our pick.
Tyron/Collins/Linderbaum/Zach/Steele, with Biadasz, McG and Ball would be good and not cost any FA money, but as I said I doubt Lindy is available that late.

Aven8

Reaction score
Let’s not forget SF is a good team. Only reason they weren’t in it last year is they had more injuries than us. They were just in the SB two years ago when Bosa was a rookie.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Easier said than done. Kittles and Juszczks don't grow on trees. Both are elite players at TE and FB. Their WRs are physical and block like madmen. Our WRs like to pillow fight. You'd basically have to revamp the skill positions.
Comparing our WR's is very insulting to be honest...the pillows won't be happy being compared to them

Cowfan75

Reaction score
It starts with identity. Forget the 49ers, who will be smashed next week and searching for a QB. This team has been drifting at sea for a long, long time. Talent comes and goes, and it's all squandered because of a meddling owner who wants to win his way. We HAVE been good enough to line up and beat the other team on talent alone periodically, but we've never had the staff to put it all in place and keep it there. And eventually you get where we are today. No options, unhappy players, awful coaches publicly supported by the owner. I fear next season will be rock bottom for us.

phildadon86

Reaction score

I agree in theory. However the problem is no blueprint is going to teach guys how to be physical and be hungry. We need to draft guys that want to play football. Not have fun. We also need to change the culture but thats an entirely different issue.

Until the Jones family is gone. Or let the coaches coach and discipline the way they want to. Nothing will change

glimmerman

Reaction score
First part of the season Dak was actually throwing the ball well. Most games he would have a few touch passes deep. After that injury he looked off. The accuracy was way off. Didn’t want to throw the ball.. Having no run game is something a new line staff can help. They needed discipline. These penalties were terrible. Elliot and Pollard will be healthy next season and the last season with Pollard. We will draft some good beef up front.

Havic

Reaction score
I agree in theory. However the problem is no blueprint is going to teach guys how to be physical and be hungry. We need to draft guys that want to play football. Not have fun. We also need to change the culture but thats an entirely different issue.

Until the Jones family is gone. Or let the coaches coach and discipline the way they want to. Nothing will change

I think the defense played hard under Quinn. The offense lost confidence when we lost the ability to run. We played poorly as a result and that is often confused with not being hungry or physical enough. Truth is, we just are not that good of a team unless we have a balanced approach to give ourselves a chance. I did feel the culture changed here this year, the team was hungry and played with a chip on their shoulder, especially the defense.

X550i

Reaction score

The fact he played with torn PCL doesnt show toughness to me but selfishness in fear of losing his job to Pollard.
This is a ridiculous statement.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Get Colombo back as O-Line coach. They need to be nasty again. Or someone with discipline and attitude..

Sydla

Reaction score
Which is why I say fire McCarthy, let Moore walk and bring in the geek OC at HC that everyone in the 49ers raves about.

At least the press conferences would be awesome.

Havic

Reaction score
The fact he played with torn PCL doesnt show toughness to me but selfishness in fear of losing his job to Pollard.
This is a ridiculous statement.

It isnt. He clearly hurt the team by trying to tough it out. Zeke is at fault but more importantly our coaches for allowing 1.8ypc to continue.