Twitter: 49ers beat writer: Cowboys-49ers matchup observations

CCBoy

Reaction score
Does feel like the counter to pass rush/zone is patience and quick hitters.
Avoid mistakes and eat clock while moving the ball in small chunks.
Total Yardage
Time of Possession
Score (3 TD's on offense)

Base: 2.0 seconds clean, each and every play on offense!

Quick recognition on secondary shows on defense.

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Translated: Dak is going to have to take some shots down the field. Throwing into zone with pocket pressure is every QBs greatest challenge. Hopefully it ends well this time.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Two fairly even-matched teams, the law of averages says the Cowboys are due for a win. I believe McCarthy will do an excellent job of calling plays and our Cowboys will execute the offensive attack plan to a T. The complementary Dallas D will keep the SF offense off the field and limit their scoring. This won't be easy. I anticipate a battle for supremacy the entire game. The Cowboys have to get a lead early and fight to keep it and expand it. Easier said than done. Go Cowboys! :flagwave:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Two fairly even-matched teams, the law of averages says the Cowboys are due for a win. I believe McCarthy will do an excellent job of calling plays and our Cowboys will execute the offensive attack plan to a T. The complementary Dallas D will keep the SF offense off the field and limit their scoring. This won't be easy. I anticipate a battle for supremacy the entire game. The Cowboys have to get a lead early and fight to keep it and expand it. Easier said than done. Go Cowboys! :flagwave:
Just how many Super Bowls does San Francisco have in the past five years exactly? Where's all this invincibility coming from, really?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Translated: Dak is going to have to take some shots down the field. Throwing into zone with pocket pressure is every QBs greatest challenge. Hopefully it ends well this time.
Yea, keep...three Don Pedron shots!

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
A few things. On paper these groups favor the 49ers for the most part.

But matchups don’t matter because the matchups aren’t facing each other.

Yes, Aiyuk, Deebo, etc is better than our group. But I like our corners better than their corners.

Yes, Bosa, Hargraves, etc is better than our defensive line. But their defensive line against our offensive line(depends on who suits up)? Much closer battle.

As far as salaries go? Throw them out the window. It means nothing. I agree with you that yes we need Dak to outplay Purdy but Purdy is not his salary. He’s probably been a top 3 Quarterback this year. Either he is or isn’t. His matchup with Dak won’t change that but this defense can.
This is a strong post. The only thing I don’t agree with is the assertion that their defensive line is better than ours. We have some dogs over here, too. I’d say it’s a wash, especially this season so far. Stats and eye test bear it out.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Just how many Super Bowls does San Francisco have in the past five years exactly? Where's all this invincibility coming from, really?
Excuse me, I didn't make the case SF was invincible. Way to strawman a point not being made. :muttley:

Sydla

Reaction score
Biggest difference between the two teams are the guys wearing the headsets. McCarthy needs to figure out why the RZ offense sucks. You can't kick FGs and hope to beat the 9ers.

Carson

Reaction score
He will need to make 1-2 big plays.

Arizona and the LA Rams showed the west coast offense can work against SF. They just didn’t have the dogs to finish the fight

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is a strong post. The only thing I don’t agree with is the assertion that their defensive line is better than ours. We have some dogs over here, too. I’d say it’s a wash, especially this season so far. Stats and eye test bear it out.
Man…I mean ours is deeper for sure. But Bosa, Hargraves, Armstead…..it’s debatable….I can see either way but our unit is deeper for sure.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Let’s say the Cowboys win on Sunday night. It wouldn’t surprise me if they come in flat against the Chargers the following week and lose that game.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
As I wrote in Bob's post and repeated by him.,..patience will be key

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The Niners are better overall at the offensive skill positions. The Cowboys are more likely to win the lines of scrimmage, in my opinion. With Micah Parsons, their speed in the defensive front seven are borderline generational. However, as Arizona showed, they can be had if they’re unfocused or undisciplined.

The Cowboys offensive line currently has two of the top rated guards and a top rated LT. I think they can get a push.

Carson

Reaction score
The Niners are better overall at the offensive skill positions. The Cowboys are more likely to win the lines of scrimmage, in my opinion. With Micah Parsons, their speed in the defensive front seven are borderline generational. However, as Arizona showed, they can be had if they’re unfocused or undisciplined.

The Cowboys offensive line currently has two of the top rated guards and a top rated LT. I think they can get a push.
Trenches. Trenches. Trenches.

Dallas gets their entire OL and DL is playing lights out.

SF has great players in Armstead, Bosa and Hargreaves. Trent Williams is elite. But the rest of their OL isn’t great.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Excuse me, I didn't make the case SF was invincible. Way to strawman a point not being made. :muttley:
I put up the equal ground they both are entering, instead of having to play up with implied doubt of a 'Cowboys fan.'

Now make up why this isn't relevant instead:

Through four weeks of the NFL season, DeMarcus Lawrence continues to be one of the best defenders in the game. He currently sits as the No. 2 graded defensive player (92.6) in the NFL behind Nick Bosa.

Against the Patriots, Lawrence had four pressures and one tackle but was much more than what his box score shows. He’s a player whose presence has a ripple effect on every play.

Lawrence beat a guard on an inside twist move, which forced Mac Jones out of the pocket and threw an incomplete pass. Lawrence is controlled chaos, while Micah Parsons is pure chaos. It’s what makes them a great one-two defensive end combination.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2023/10/6/23903407/dallas-cowboys-roster-power-rankings-patriots-dante-fowler-demarcus-lawrence :popcorn: :thumbdown:

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I put up the equal ground they both are entering, instead of having to play up with implied doubt of a 'Cowboys fan.'

Now make up why this isn't relevant instead:

Through four weeks of the NFL season, DeMarcus Lawrence continues to be one of the best defenders in the game. He currently sits as the No. 2 graded defensive player (92.6) in the NFL behind Nick Bosa.

Against the Patriots, Lawrence had four pressures and one tackle but was much more than what his box score shows. He’s a player whose presence has a ripple effect on every play.

Lawrence beat a guard on an inside twist move, which forced Mac Jones out of the pocket and threw an incomplete pass. Lawrence is controlled chaos, while Micah Parsons is pure chaos. It’s what makes them a great one-two defensive end combination.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2023/10/6/23903407/dallas-cowboys-roster-power-rankings-patriots-dante-fowler-demarcus-lawrence :popcorn: :thumbdown:
Then add in:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...kings-patriots-dante-fowler-demarcus-lawrence

Bland was playing like Trevon Diggs did against the Patriots in 2021.

Cop out on:

According to Next Gen Stats, Parsons generated nine pressures, his eighth consecutive game with five or more. That is the second longest streak in the NGS Era only to Steelers T.J. Watt Weeks 1-10 in 2020.

Talking about the silent stats that don’t show in a box score, Parsons has a positive rush rate of 75.2 percent, first in the NFL. The average around the league is 54 percent. Truly insane.

Then just dismiss this:

Since returning from injury, Tyler Smith has been playing at an All-Pro level, especially after this game. Smith was graded by PFF as the best player, regardless of position, on the Cowboys team and the No. 1 graded offensive player in blocking across the entire league for Week 4. He has the second-highest offensive blocking grade (93.1) for the entire year, regardless of position. When Prescott needed to make the throws that mattered, Smith was stonewalling defenders in front of him. Even when the offense needed to run the ball, Tony Pollard had four carries for 33 of his 47 yards running behind Smith. He continues to impress, and Nate Tice of The Athletic Football Show said before the season he expects Tyler Smith to be a Pro Bowler this year. That might be too low of an expectation. An All-Pro nomination might be his floor for 2023.

Smart butt...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys/49ers series is tied 19-19-1. The tiie will be broken on Sunday night.