Twitter: 49ers beat writer: Cowboys-49ers matchup observations

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Very good read and helps explain why SF has been such a tough match up for Dallas.

They are a good pass rush team that plays zone behind it.
Offensively, they have some elite weapons that best man coverage which Dallas loves.
Deebo, Kittle, CMC are adept at breaking tackles and that is where Dallas can struggle on defense.

Dallas playing the quick passing game and eating off the zone coverage could be a way to frustrate and tire out a SF defense.
But it will take a lot of discipline to do so because penalties and turnovers kill you in that mode.
Almost feels like Coach Mac adapted the offense just for San Fran.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Very good read and helps explain why SF has been such a tough match up for Dallas.

They are a good pass rush team that plays zone behind it.
Offensively, they have some elite weapons that best man coverage which Dallas loves.
Deebo, Kittle, CMC are adept at breaking tackles and that is where Dallas can struggle on defense.

Dallas playing the quick passing game and eating off the zone coverage could be a way to frustrate and tire out a SF defense.
But it will take a lot of discipline to do so because penalties and turnovers kill you in that mode.
Is Jerry Jones an autocratic? Not at all, he follows contract law fully guided by a top legal team. I go straight to the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code - Federal law) Unlike a former President, the final word on unjust enrichment and legally sufficient contracts.

I state this to simplify and cut to the real chase here. Jerry has learned the simplicity of winning...and I use an Army term: KISS (keep it simple stupid)

The whole team is built upon the power of simplicity and is full of talent itself.

The defense has secondary excellence as well as box arena intensity. Use that depth of physical strength as well as recognition strengths.

Start by boxing in on runs and making them hurt for any success. Hit them! Accumulate advantage. Go for turnovers!

To me, the unsung hero for this game will be none other than Pollard. He is a tad over looked, yet a very strong producer simmering to explode. He holds a grudge from last season's last game. Let him pound and make the SF defense chase the speed in the other runners. Chaos is not an unknown commodity for the Cowboys as well.

Bottom line for the Cowboys is 21 points offensively...and resiliency from momentum changes, which will happen for both teams.

Cowboys...come to fight!

Ken

Reaction score
Dallas has 9 missed tackles which is the BEST in the league. LOL...

IGD94Af.png
I think the problem is...when they miss them it leads to huge plays.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
A few things. On paper these groups favor the 49ers for the most part.

But matchups don’t matter because the matchups aren’t facing each other.

Yes, Aiyuk, Deebo, etc is better than our group. But I like our corners better than their corners.

Yes, Bosa, Hargraves, etc is better than our defensive line. But their defensive line against our offensive line(depends on who suits up)? Much closer battle.

As far as salaries go? Throw them out the window. It means nothing. I agree with you that yes we need Dak to outplay Purdy but Purdy is not his salary. He’s probably been a top 3 Quarterback this year. Either he is or isn’t. His matchup with Dak won’t change that but this defense can.
I don’t even know that I agree. Secondary and OL are pretty far in favor of Dallas

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Is Jerry Jones an autocratic? Not at all, he follows contract law fully guided by a top legal team. I go straight to the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code - Federal law) Unlike a former President, the final word on unjust enrichment and legally sufficient contracts.

I state this to simplify and cut to the real chase here. Jerry has learned the simplicity of winning...and I use an Army term: KISS (keep it simple stupid)

The whole team is built upon the power of simplicity and is full of talent itself.

The defense has secondary excellence as well as box arena intensity. Use that depth of physical strength as well as recognition strengths.

Start by boxing in on runs and making them hurt for any success. Hit them! Accumulate advantage. Go for turnovers!

To me, the unsung hero for this game will be none other than Pollard. He is a tad over looked, yet a very strong producer simmering to explode. He holds a grudge from last season's last game. Let him pound and make the SF defense chase the speed in the other runners. Chaos is not an unknown commodity for the Cowboys as well.

Bottom line for the Cowboys is 21 points offensively...and resiliency from momentum changes, which will happen for both teams.

Cowboys...come to fight!
its been kisS for 28 years....yeah...let that sink in.

Jerry is the problem.

CCBoy

Reaction score
its been kisS for 28 years....yeah...let that sink in.

Jerry is the problem.
You are being a blame flamer and show why the Oilers left Houston...live with it. Jerry dare doesn't even excuse your stance. Just pass this fan by...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Does feel like the counter to pass rush/zone is patience and quick hitters.
Avoid mistakes and eat clock while moving the ball in small chunks.
It potentially removes a lot of system errors. Productions will continue to improve, as well as more importantly expand.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The new offense (short passing game) works against their defense scheme IMO. Stafford put up over 300 yards against them in the game this reporter references.

Key is to not get behind and take a few shots deep & QB runs to keep them on their toes.

If I don't see the QB keeper on the RPO look this game I'm going to riot--especially short and goal. Its been there all year.
Read-Option, not RPO.

shabazz

Reaction score
We can beat any team…. Having said that. The 49ers are the better team and we do not match up well against them.
Unfortunately the Cardinals game proved that we can lose to any team also.

ain’t no excuses like lack motivation or trap game come this Sunday

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
A tip of the cap to Purdy. Based on what I have watched this year, he does a nice job of seeing how the receiver & defender are positioned. When appropriate, he throws the back shoulder to beat good coverage. Gives his player the opportunity to see what's happening & begin adjusting. Really nice for a guy with less than a dozen starts entering the year.
Brock Purdy is the Evan Carter of the NFL.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
4 games is still too small of a sample size, and the Arizona game definitely effects the Cowboys stats. I don't mind the short passing ball control offense, but they need to improve in the red zone if they are going to continue that strategy.

The key to defending the 49ers is sure tackling and to not let Kittle, CMC and Deebo get loose after the catch. The Cowboys safeties have to have a good game. Kearse has had issues this season so far.
Not only is four games a small sample size, one of them was played in torrential rain. And three times the Cowboys were ahead by so much they took their foot off the gas on offense.

In other words, Dak played it safe by design with multiple score leads. And no need to put the best red zone stuff on film when your up by four scores in the second half, too.

CCBoy

Reaction score
With the passing of Dick Butkus I'll just leave a messsage associated with and used describing him and a message to Dallas Cowboys PLAYERS.
Perhaps YOU can understand this...

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Just don't let
Dick Butkus get to YOU!

He was one of the most violent men in pro football...you listening Parsons? He unleashed upon all players for a living - THE PLAYER.

Last edited: