49ers sign Tavon. Cowboys make mistake passing

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
He was drafted as RB, his size limited his RB role. You needed to design plays to get him away from the heavies. The rams decided you know what maybe a slot receiver, the issue there is he has the receiving prowess of most running backs. He could run with the wind but being 5'8" and former running back he did not have the natural catching ability of guys that played WR most of their football lives.

Is this satire too?
Tavon was drafted as a RB, now?

joseephuss

Reaction score
He was drafted as RB, his size limited his RB role. You needed to design plays to get him away from the heavies. The rams decided you know what maybe a slot receiver, the issue there is he has the receiving prowess of most running backs. He could run with the wind but being 5'8" and former running back he did not have the natural catching ability of guys that played WR most of their football lives.

I don't recall ever hearing about Tavon being drafted as a running back. While he played some running back at WVU(110 rushing attempts in 4 seasons), he was primarily a WR his senior season. I thought the Rams drafted him as the replacement for Danny Amendola. They traded several picks to move up from 16th to #8 in order to draft Austin. I didn't understand the move at the time. Austin has wonderful speed and quickness, but he has no feel for the WR position. He has not developed all the nuances required of the position. Stedman Baily, also from WVU and also drafted by the Rams in 2013 was in my opinion the more polished WR, but even he was not good enough at the NFL level. It is a big jump for most guys at this position to excel in the NFL.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I don't recall ever hearing about Tavon being drafted as a running back. While he played some running back at WVU(110 rushing attempts in 4 seasons), he was primarily a WR his senior season. I thought the Rams drafted him as the replacement for Danny Amendola. They traded several picks to move up from 16th to #8 in order to draft Austin. I didn't understand the move at the time. Austin has wonderful speed and quickness, but he has no feel for the WR position. He has not developed all the nuances required of the position. Stedman Baily, also from WVU and also drafted by the Rams in 2013 was in my opinion the more polished WR, but even he was not good enough at the NFL level. It is a big jump for most guys at this position to excel in the NFL.

I stand corrected he went to WVU as a RB but switched. I knew during his draft the talking heads were trying to figure out where he would play because he was not big enough to be true WR height wise, and not big enough bulk wise to be RB either. Dallas switched him to RB (web back) here. EIther way all he had was speed and quickness nothing else. He was a fast Cole Beasley, where he was more suited for short stuff in space.