49ers vs Cowboys Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zordon

Reaction score
Look how many of those are draft picks, which is what the Cowboys want to do (as most teams should want to do). The difference is the 49ers aren't afraid of free agents and are active traders.

Some of their recent high draft picks aren't even starting for them (Bosa and Thomas) but are contributing

Meanwhile, two our recent top picks are gone (Taco) and inactive (T.Hill).

Traded for Tomlinson, Ford, Garoppolo

Not afraid of names in free agency...Sherman, Goodwin, Alexander and some sneaky smart free agent signings,,,Richburg, Juszczyk, Gould, and Person.

Player acquisition is a fulltime job for most NFL teams and we have too many family members with opinions to be consistently good at signing free agents.

One heck of a rebuild by Lynch and Shanahan. That's what skill and accountability look like.
They did all of this while transitioning from the spread to pro-style and 3-4 to 4-3. It's incredible what they've done so far.

starfan1

Reaction score
So what your saying is you want to be garbage for 2 to 3 years which is what all those teams did. I understand that mentality and have given it thought but I just love when the cowboys are in contention and a play here or there we move up another step and are talking a different story.

Not sure i can endure another 1989 but if i knew we had someone who could turn it around that fast then i think I could be talked into it

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Observing the dichotomy between the 49ers and the Cowboys has been one of the most depressing things about this season. We are witnessing one of our greatest rivals lapping Garrett's "process" in real-time. For some perspective...three years ago Chip Kelly was their head coach and Colin Kaepernick was their QB. Below is a link to their 2016 roster and their current roster.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2016_roster.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2019_roster.htm

In 3 years they've changed out their QB, RB, all of their WRs, TE, 4 of 5 of their OL, and all of their starters in the LB unit and their entire secondary. Also their punter in kicker have changed....all of this in 3 years and they've surpassed us. All of this continuity in Dallas is getting us nowhere. Teams are destroying, rebuilding, and lapping this franchise in 1/4th of the time afforded Garrett.
yeah, remember how the 49ers had a ton of premature retirements in a short period. I dont recall the specifics but it seemed like in a 2 year period 20 good and healthy NFL players retired shockingly young and 10 were from the 49ers. I actually felt a bit bad for them. Now look.

visionary

Reaction score
2016 49ers starting roster vs 2019 49ers starting roster. I only see one starter (DeForest Buckner) remaining from 2016 although I believe Staley is hurt. They've changed EVERYTHING yet you don't hear anything about a "work in progress". How the hell does Jerry or his son not see this and get sick about it????

@stasheroo @The Natural @DejectedFan1996 @WillieBeamen @visionary @birdwells1 @Beast_from_East

vVZl1V4.jpg

you forgot the most important thing, they changed GMs and HC

our moron owner and blind Cowboy homers will therefore ignore it

blueblood70

Reaction score
each year someone comes up with an example as troll moment for the hot team.. the year before it was the Jags and what happened , one 10 win season and now a collapse..fire sale..end of last year it was all about how CLE knows their stuff and has passed the Cowboys..year after year after year.. like some above said , since 2016 theres been no real reason to rebuild , we had a new core , a bunch of new players, basically where San Fran is now and just made it to the 2nd round of the layoffs last year.. we are winning division etc.. I mean San fran is not head to head in rebuilding phases , we have from 2013-20-19 turned over nearly the entire roster that was from the Romo Era... they are behind us in the NEED and the timing of a reason to implode and rebuild..

we are not there, we just did that after romo.. rosters from 2015 to now for us is nearly entirely turned over..

this year is 6 games in, the story is not over.. have not we had 6-0 teams collapse before and teams like colts and cowboys that started 3-5 somehow ended better?

its funny how fans here can take anything now drum up stats and what not to fit a narrative but be so far off base its sad..

look it hasn't been pretty but lets get real...its not like they've done nothing, they rebuilt it just didnt feel like it because we are struggling to get back to NFCCG still but the core of this team has been assembled since 2016, they've had 3 years to have their shot.. stop judging the current team and players by the old coaches and FO..

Mr_437

Reaction score
Hey man, after this next rebuild JG will get the hang of calling timeouts.

Good job by Lynch and company, but Shanahan is in another dimension with offense.

VABoyz

Reaction score
the niners have been to the super bowl and multiple nfc championships games in the past 10 years..we won the division a couple times ..

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Over reaction. San Francisco has been a bad team since 2014. Dallas has had only 1 losing season since 2014 and two playoff wins. Lets see what SF does next year before we anoint them as lapping Dallas. I'm in no way trying to take up for Garrett-top or the Jones', but SF has been a **** show for at least 5 years now...

75boyz

Reaction score
each year someone comes up with an example as troll moment for the hot team.. the year before it was the Jags and what happened , one 10 win season and now a collapse..fire sale..end of last year it was all about how CLE knows their stuff and has passed the Cowboys..year after year after year.. like some above said , since 2016 theres been no real reason to rebuild , we had a new core , a bunch of new players, basically where San Fran is now and just made it to the 2nd round of the layoffs last year.. we are winning division etc.. I mean San fran is not head to head in rebuilding phases , we have from 2013-20-19 turned over nearly the entire roster that was from the Romo Era... they are behind us in the NEED and the timing of a reason to implode and rebuild..

we are not there, we just did that after romo.. rosters from 2015 to now for us is nearly entirely turned over..

this year is 6 games in, the story is not over.. have not we had 6-0 teams collapse before and teams like colts and cowboys that started 3-5 somehow ended better?

its funny how fans here can take anything now drum up stats and what not to fit a narrative but be so far off base its sad..

look it hasn't been pretty but lets get real...its not like they've done nothing, they rebuilt it just didnt feel like it because we are struggling to get back to NFCCG still but the core of this team has been assembled since 2016, they've had 3 years to have their shot.. stop judging the current team and players by the old coaches and FO..

excellent rebuttal post to Zordons original and excellent post as well.

I think Philly deserves a mention in this quick fix rebuild discussion and the temporary insanity by Lurie to give failed experiment Chip Kelly all the power he had destroyed that roster.

RE Enter Howie Roseman who never should have been fired in the first place and superior drafting and FA acquision takes place, along with a progressive modern coach with skins on the wall, and what do you get...A SB trophy win by a backup QB is what.

Count me in the “wait and see for final results” category on the Niners.

All points made by both Zordon and Blueblood have merit in my view.

if SF were to seal the deal with a trophy then the Zordon side would appear strongest. If not, may be lean more Blueblood.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The 9ers have played five games against the same level of competition the Cowboys played the first three weeks. We'll see how well the anointing oil flows when they play a team more than one game above 500.

Last edited:

mrmojo

Reaction score
Depends what kind of team you want. One that is above .500 every year, wins a division or playoff game once in a while.......OR one that is built for a 2 to 3 year run, get to or wins a SB during that period, then regresses again for a few years, then rinse repeat. I would love a sustained dynasty but we all know that's not possible, except for the Patriots, and their organization is just on another level.

blueblood70

Reaction score
excellent rebuttal post to Zordons original and excellent post as well.

I think Philly deserves a mention in quick fix rebuild and temporary insanity by Lurie to give failed experiment Chip Kelly all the power he had in virtually destroying that roster while in charge.

RE Enter Howie Roseman who never should have been fired in the first place and superior drafting and FA acquision takes place along with a progressive modern coach with skins on the wall, and what do you get...A SB trophy win by a backup QB is what.

Count me in the “wait and see for final results” category on the Niners.

All points made by both Zordon and Blueblood have merit in my view.

if SF were to seal the deal with a trophy then the Zordon side would appear strongest. If not, may be lean more Blueblood.
yes ty, thats was my extension to those thoughts.. this team has just got into a new try at rebuilding, since romo era ended ie 2015-2019 im betting more then 80% of the players have been turned over..um yes thats rebuild we JUST got into the beginning of.. 2 playoff appearances 2 division titles, and a playoff win..um let me know when san fran does this 5-0 LOL we won 11 in a row in 2016 with our new core..11-5 and playoffs.

so again they dont overlap they are behind us so its bad comp..

you also have to be at near bottom for most teams to fully rebuild like New QB, Coach, Gm etc we have had truly ONE bad losing year in 2015, not saying its been perfect or more changes are not needed BUT right after we did rebuild 2016 -19..

when you are wining 10wins a season and winning divisions and a playoff game in 3 yrs, why do we need to blow it up? yes we need a NFCCG and a SB for sure and yes maybe even a new HC but this team has been rebuilt recently and is doing well..the FO and coaches have to get credit for that..like I said ive been wanting a new HC and younger staff since 2015 but once the season starts im supporting the team..

we are 6 games into new season... nothings getting changed at this moment..

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Over reaction. San Francisco has been a bad team since 2014. Dallas has had only 1 losing season since 2014 and two playoff wins. Lets see what SF does next year before we anoint them as lapping Dallas. I'm in no way trying to take up for Garrett-top or the Jones', but SF has been a **** show for at least 5 years now...

Undereaction. Dallas has been a non-contender for championships since 1996. Dallas is one of three NFC teams that has not appeared in the conference championship game over that period. Lets see what Dallas does about their coaching deficiency before we act as if San Francisco is not currently the better organization. I'm in no way trying to take up for that team from No Cal, but Dallas has been hot garbage in the playoffs for close to a quarter century.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whenever Garret says "I like our guys".......... it can be translated to mean "I don't know anyone else". Hard to turnover a roster and rebuild when you have nobody in management looking at the rest of the league.......... the thinking that keeps us in perpetual mediocrity is from a bygone era. Garret and Jerry are still trying to build the 95' Cowboys.

ultron

Reaction score
49ers wouldn't beat us head to head if the refs stay the F out of it.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Jeff Heath would be out of this league if he wasn’t on our team. We’ve seen that happen to several players we held on to and eventually released.

Proof

Reaction score
They've replaced their head coach which means implementing completely new systems on offense and defense. They switched from a spread to a pro-style offense. They switched from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 defense. And they've replaced the most important position on the field - QB. Comparing them to the turnover in Dallas is ridiculous.

No it isn’t at all. Just extend it a yr and Dallas has done nearly the same thing from qb to wrs to lbs and the entire secondary. And did it on the fly, cash strapped and remaining competitive and relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.