49'rs team shrink takes Stafford off D.Board

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ejthedj;2713137 said:
You're going to be a full professor? Congrats, but wow--they must not require much listening skills at your U, since what you said is exactly what I said.

If I call myself an instructor or professor, that is not correct since we have both professors and instructors and I AM NEITHER. My position title has Teaching in it, so calling myself a teacher is most correct.

I don't care what people might prefer to be called. This is a stupid argument, one that only somebody with an inflated sense of intellect and a lot of spare time would engage in. Oh that's right--you must be a full professor then

You should care what people prefer to be called - if everyone prefers one title but you use another then you are putting students in a position where faculty think they are morons because they call them by the wrong title. Don't forget you are TEACHING them more than just the course topic.

PM me your field and where you'll be working next fall - I'm not doubting you -- just curious.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ejthedj;2713137 said:
only somebody with an inflated sense of intellect and a lot of spare time would engage in. Oh that's right--you must be a full professor then

Hmmm. Does it suggest an inflated sense of self if you EARN a title and want to be called by that title?

Do you call your proctologist by his first name? Or your dentist? No. You respect their education and called them Dr.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but our soon-to-be assistant prof here sure as hell doesn't SOUND like one. Im guessing he's not an English TA (oh my bad TEACHER OF RECORD).

I weep for the state of my alma mater. Please tell me you aren't Terry or Grady.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DIAF;2713281 said:
I don't know about you guys, but our soon-to-be assistant prof here sure as hell doesn't SOUND like one. Im guessing he's not an English TA (oh my bad TEACHER OF RECORD).

I weep for the state of my alma mater. Please tell me you aren't Terry or Grady.

Give the kid a break. He's still developing...professional-like.

ejthedj

Reaction score
DIAF;2713281 said:

Hey *******, I am in Grady. And, this is a message board so i write in a different style. In fact, I have already won multiple awards for my writing, published three articles, and scored the highest GRE score in my class. I write here in a colloquial style so everyone can understand. It is part of why I wrote teacher instead of professor. I didn't want to confuse everyone into thinking that I was a PhD.

Terry is a joke. Anyone with half a brain can get an MBA. Just look at all the top CEOs right now. They are all morons.

I weep for your alma mater, too. Georgia at the undergrad level is a joke of a school. The students are naive, totally complacent, and care way more about being football fans than being students. It is is the least active campus I have ever seen. In most Northern states and Texas, Georgia would be a below average school but in the South it's great. LOL!

ejthedj

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2713177 said:
You should care what people prefer to be called - if everyone prefers one title but you use another then you are putting students in a position where faculty think they are morons because they call them by the wrong title. Don't forget you are TEACHING them more than just the course topic.

PM me your field and where you'll be working next fall - I'm not doubting you -- just curious.

I prefer to be called your Daddy since I have owned you in this argument. Please oblige. No, if people that are not professors prefer to be called professors and people do it, it just creates confusion. I prefer to be precise, exact. I am not a professor. I am a TEACHING ASSISTANT.

And yes, having me teach the class by myself as a TA does fly at Georgia (and most state schools these days). But I will agree with you that Georgia is a joke for undergrads. Some students never have a real professor their whole career. At the graduate level, however, my program is the top ranked program in the country.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ejthedj;2713479 said:
I prefer to be called your Daddy since I have owned you in this argument. Please oblige. No, if people that are not professors prefer to be called professors and people do it, it just creates confusion. I prefer to be precise, exact. I am not a professor. I am a TEACHING ASSISTANT.

And yes, having me teach the class by myself as a TA does fly at Georgia (and most state schools these days). But I will agree with you that Georgia is a joke for undergrads. Some students never have a real professor their whole career. At the graduate level, however, my program is the top ranked program in the country.

Again, why are you calling yourself a "teacher" when you are an ASSISTANT. You, yourself, indicated your title is not "Teacher" but "Teaching Assistant." If you wanted to be precise you would have them call you "Teaching Assistant"

Call yourself the course instructor or professor (no capital) and you'll be fine and not sound like someone who works at a high school. The only problem I see is when TAs let students call them "Dr."

You are however wrong about what flies at "most state schools these days." There are tons of examples of state systems where someone who is the instructor of record has to be paid more than a TA. For example, in CA all TAs belong to a union that requires exactly this. Same situation in many many other states. You are right that many UGs never see a real prof - but again, that isn't the case everywhere -- there are many top state universities that pride themselves on having real profs available to students -- even if it means that the profs only teach one course a semester or year.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ejthedj;2713478 said:
Anyone with half a brain can get an MBA.

True dat. You will however never find a group of people who over inflate the difficulty of completing the degree more than MBA students.

ejthedj

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2713557 said:
Again, why are you calling yourself a "teacher" when you are an ASSISTANT. You, yourself, indicated your title is not "Teacher" but "Teaching Assistant." If you wanted to be precise you would have them call you "Teaching Assistant"

Call yourself the course instructor or professor (no capital) and you'll be fine and not sound like someone who works at a high school. The only problem I see is when TAs let students call them "Dr."

You are however wrong about what flies at "most state schools these days." There are tons of examples of state systems where someone who is the instructor of record has to be paid more than a TA. For example, in CA all TAs belong to a union that requires exactly this. Same situation in many many other states. You are right that many UGs never see a real prof - but again, that isn't the case everywhere -- there are many top state universities that pride themselves on having real profs available to students -- even if it means that the profs only teach one course a semester or year.

Ok, fine, perhaps I should have called myself a TA instead of teacher. But I think teacher is closer than professor. I do not think lecturers and grad students should call themselves professors b/c they are not--and it is misleading

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ejthedj;2713683 said:
Ok, fine, perhaps I should have called myself a TA instead of teacher. But I think teacher is closer than professor. I do not think lecturers and grad students should call themselves professors b/c they are not--and it is misleading

I think you are failing to understand the difference between big P and little p. I am the professor for this course as opposed to I am a Professor.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
ejthedj;2713478 said:
Hey *******, I am in Grady. And, this is a message board so i write in a different style. In fact, I have already won multiple awards for my writing, published three articles, and scored the highest GRE score in my class. I write here in a colloquial style so everyone can understand. It is part of why I wrote teacher instead of professor. I didn't want to confuse everyone into thinking that I was a PhD.

Terry is a joke. Anyone with half a brain can get an MBA. Just look at all the top CEOs right now. They are all morons.

I weep for your alma mater, too. Georgia at the undergrad level is a joke of a school. The students are naive, totally complacent, and care way more about being football fans than being students. It is is the least active campus I have ever seen. In most Northern states and Texas, Georgia would be a below average school but in the South it's great. LOL!

LOL! You're a *******. And I'm highly doubtful of your claims. You sound like a teenage moron on a videogaming board arguing over whether 360 or ps3 is better.

UGA is one hell of a state school. And your opinion of Terry smacks of envy; I know you journalism grads get all upset because you perceive yourselves to be of greater intellect than those in Business School, but then you graduate to 30k a year jobs. I know because I was in both.

Also, you suck.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2713828 said:
What the hell, Abe?

This thread is full of weird.

And the weirdest part of the thread is that people are not commenting on the weirdest part of the story:

Mike Singletary has decided Stafford lacks the mental stability to be a San Francisco 49er.

It cracks me up that Singletary, who as a linebacker had crazier eyes than the Runaway Bride, is now commenting on football players' mental stability.