4th down play shows Cowboys predictability remains

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Watching the analysis of the 4th and 3 play, it's evident that teams know our tendencies because the Safety knew seemed to decipher the route for Lamb and was able to get to the right location to prevent the 1st down.
That goes to Moore for not changing things up and not updating the routes.
But, if Dak leads Lamb instead of causing him to stop his momentum by throwing the ball to his mid section, he may have been able to get the 1st down.
its a tight area and every defensive player had a responsibility. this was a rookie mistake. initially I thought he caught his route short, because of the defensive player, but upon rewatching it, Lamb cut his route short of the first down. it was going to be tight regardless, but he should have made his cut after the first down marker....

JBS

Reaction score
I hope Kellen Moore is taking advice from people like MM and not Orlovsky when it comes to running an NFL offense. Orlovsky wasn't a decent QB and is a horrible analyst.

Yeah well, his advice is perfect. I don't care who gives him the right advice, if it's the right stuff, I hope he gets it and listens

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
The stop had nothing to do with them predicting the play, and everything to do with the fact that Schultz didn't get his route deep enough.

Schultz goes another 2 yards, it doesn't matter if the safety knows the play is coming or not.
Seemed like more of a WCO route too me. I don’t recall a ton of shallow crosses under JG.

coult44

Reaction score
Or if you run your route beyond the sticks you get a first down.

Ive watched that play 100 times in slow motion , if Dak throws the ball earlier it’s an easy first down.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/rams-halt-ceedee-lamb-key-025100028.html[/QUOTE]

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I really think if we hand that off that Elliot gets it.
Crazy we should of atleast ran playaction to get the defends peeking and watching Zeke. The safety scooted up and probably would of bit on the fake to zeke. But no. We made it easy. No play-action.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys 1993 lost first two games. Won Super Bowl.
Let's all just relax for a few weeks, allow this coaching staff to get under their feet. There were no OTAs or preseason games, let's give it a little time.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Ive watched that play 100 times in slow motion , if Dak throws the ball earlier it’s an easy first down.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/rams-halt-ceedee-lamb-key-025100028.html
[/QUOTE]
After watching the play and watching Ceedee reaction I wonder if he was suppose to take that route to the first down marker. He was about a yard short. Got up raising his hands like he got the first down.

jblaze2004

Reaction score

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/rams-halt-ceedee-lamb-key-025100028.html
[/QUOTE]
Martin was getting man handled on that play also. Geezus Aaron Donald is a beast.

JayFord

Reaction score
The play was fine

the safety just made a clutch tackle because if he didnt it possibly coulve gone for 6

Swagger

Reaction score
I revisted the 2014 Packers v Seahawks play off game (I know painful as we were so close).

Any way point is McCarthy...oh dear.

He kicked field goals twice on 4th down right at the goal line and he basically took the ball out of his best player's hands when trying to chew up clock. Including three straight runs by Lacy leading to a three and out. Negative.

Then he goes for the 4th and 3rd vs the Rams on Sunday.

From one extreme to the other.

I respect analytics - they should be considered.

I have my doubts about McCarthy from a tactical side but I remember the way he made a decision to move on from Favre and backed Rodgers even when Favre changed his mind and came out of retirement. That took guts to move on despite huge criticism from fans. The big man has a backbone to his credit.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i liked the aggressiveness to go for it.
i just wish our guys would run their route past the 1st down marker.
if we see the same vanilla offense vs atlanta...i hope McCarthy starts calling the plays immediately.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Crazy we should of atleast ran playaction to get the defends peeking and watching Zeke. The safety scooted up and probably would of bit on the fake to zeke. But no. We made it easy. No play-action.
You mean play action or even pre snap motion. No way cause that may have confused the other team.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Shultz cleared enough beyond the 5 yard line for Lamb to squeeze by but he ran too shallow. But my point is the Safety was able to diagnose the play fairly easy.

sometimes players make good plays? I don’t know what else it can be chalked up to beyond that. I’m more upset about not taking the points in that point of the game.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was completely fooled on the play. Had to watch it back several times to locate the football.

GMO415

Reaction score
Perhaps run your Y on a deeper route clearing out the Safety......

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I would have tied the game since there was plenty of time to get the ball back. It was a chip shot.

If the deficit was more than three then that's another matter - it wasn't.

Dumb decision followed by poor execution and the Cowboys never came close to scoring again.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
CD had to run under Schultz. He was slanting upfield. If Dak leads him instead of throwing it behind him, it's a first down.
Exactly , but the play call was bad too. Also why such an important task was given to the rookie in his 1st game.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Exactly , but the play call was bad too. Also why such an important task was given to the rookie in his 1st game.

You got a good point that it was a bad call. Not a lot of talk about that. Worse than picking Lamb was involving Schultz, who is KP.

Can't DBs still contact players within 5 yards? Seems like a big chance of stifling a play with contact if you're running your own players across each other on a rub under 5 yards.

On 4th and 3 you want low risk and predictable, not lots of moving parts that may interact and screw each other up.

4th and 3. Having problems with the rush up the middle. Meanwhile, got a big, strong QB who can run and throws well on the run. Roll out isolation plays are the ideal short yardage plays for us.