Drafted by Cowboys 4th Round Pick - TE Dalton Schultz, Stanford (137th pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Stupid post. The last compensation pick inserted between the 4th and 5th is "basically a 5th".

So when his agent goes to negotiate a contract, do you think he won't demand the kid get the 4th round slot or allow the team to tell him he is a 5th rounder? I understand your point, but that is not what his draft slot was. He will be compensated as a fourth. He may only make a 1.95 more than the guy behind him. But that 4th round compensation is still a 4th round pick.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
So when his agent goes to negotiate a contract, do you think he won't demand the kid get the 4th round slot or allow the team to tell him he is a 5th rounder? I understand your point, but that is not what his draft slot was. He will be compensated as a fourth. He may only make a 1.95 more than the guy behind him. But that 4th round compensation is still a 4th round pick.

You're talking about a few thousand dollars.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Overview
Schultz is a Y-tight end with the ability as a run blocker to help bolster a team's rushing attack very quickly. While his frame could still use more mass, he plays with good technique and play strength at the point of attack and shows an ability to impose his will upon edge defenders if they half-step into the rep. Schultz is a capable and reliable target underneath, but his living will depend on how he impacts the running game. Schultz's limited catch production could drop him a round, but he should be a solid, early starter.
Strengths
  • Very tenacious and tough as a blocker
  • Well-schooled in blocking fundamentals
  • Leaned on as vital part of the run blocking unit
  • Initial hand placement is good
  • Ability to sustain and finish
  • Improves positioning after contact and can generate some movement at point of attack without a double team
  • Gave it to USC's Rasheem Green on more than a couple of snaps when matched head to head
  • Sinks hips into breaks
  • Opens sharply on underneath routesgreat to look for the throw
  • Has good feel for attacking the voids against zone coverage
  • Will shut routes down early to keep throwing window open for quarterback
  • Physical in creating space at top of his routes
  • Short area footwork is adequate
  • Has ability to become a reliable target over the middle and in traffic
Weaknesses
  • Receiving production has been underwhelming throughout his career
  • Routes can be monotonous and predictable
  • Allows too much leeway for defenders to play the catch point
  • Needs to play bigger in space and use his frame
  • Lacks speed to attack over top
  • Struggles to separate against man coverage on intermediate routes
  • Could have somewhat limited workspace as NFL pass catcher
  • Not as physical after the catch
  • Slows feet into contact and won't always fall forward
  • Strikes first, but will lose initial hand placement when long defenders get into him
  • Can improve approach angles to help keep angle blocks centered

Great - a TE w/out TE pass-catching traits. So he’s basically a RRT

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Weird. A blocking Tight End. Nobody saw that coming.

Exactly what Cowboys are thinking about this kid.......strickly blocking TE. I'm thinking he's Hanna's replacement but without Witten, we lose a lot of plays w/o a good blocking TE. This pick keeps those plays alive IMO.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He looks like a Witt prototype because he can really make a LB misstep. He can get separation which is vital for Dak.
I don't think I saw any of what you are talking about on the YouTube vids I saw of his.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Listening to the war room audio makes me think they expect him to contribute quickly. "Get your mind set, get ready, you gotta go in September. This isn't developmental, you're coming in to play." - Coach Nussmeier

Apparently he has a history with the kid.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Can we all agree right now to call him “Roadhouse”?

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I really like this pick, especially if Witten does in fact retire. NFL.com rated him the 5th best tight end, perhaps the best blocker at his position and under rated receiving skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.