5 Players Dallas Should Consider Putting On The Trade Block

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Interesting article from The Landry Hat. DeMarcus Lawrence should be #6.

"Right now, the Cowboys’ roster is riddled with injuries, overpriced contracts, and underperforming stars. And with the NFL salary cap expect to be impacted negatively due to COVID-19 next year, Dallas needs to get out from under some of these bad contracts."
Gallup Griffen Poe Jaylon Smith & Elliott

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/10/22/dallas-cowboys-5-consider-putting-trade-block/

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This would take a nod toward a rebuild and if this coming year is a cap problem, this could be the time to do it but as long as there is a chance of winning the East, even at 6-10, Booger's not about to let the R word cross his lips.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

"Right now, the Cowboys’ roster is riddled with injuries, overpriced contracts, and underperforming stars. And with the NFL salary cap expect to be impacted negatively due to COVID-19 next year, Dallas needs to get out from under some of these bad contracts."

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/10/22/dallas-cowboys-5-consider-putting-trade-block/

Here's what those that say trade these players don't get. For the same reasons the Cowboys would want to trade them are the SAME EXACT reasons teams won't make trades for them unless they all are got for 7th round picks and teams don't rebuild on 7th round picks.. Even at that they don't want the contracts for some, the loss of production and fumbling on another, not doing much for a couple other. They only one that teams would be interested in is Gallop and Jones isn't going to give him up.

Sydla

Reaction score

You can’t trade Lawrence

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Geniuses over at the Landry Hat. Cutting Zeke comes with a 25 million cap hit. Jaylon would cost 16 million. That will wipe out all the cap space we were rolling over to next year. Heck, we probably don't have enough cap space to do that. Griffen and Poe aren't going to get us anything more than a 7th.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Meh article.

No one would give us anything for Poe.

Trading Smith or Zeke would be hard because you're asking teams to take on large contracts with guarantees still involved.

I would trade Griffen for almost anything and even though he's a great story (probably more important to Jerry than it really should be), I would trade Aldon Smith.

The problem is that many players on this roster are seriously overvalued by this Front Office and fanbase.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe the team should just fold and cease to exist.
I think some would actually be happy, but still be whining about everything 10 years from now.

starfan1

Reaction score
Unless you think Gallup gets you a 1st I would hang on to him.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Maybe the team should just fold and cease to exist.
I think some would actually be happy, but still be whining about everything 10 years from now.

It's a message board - people come here to talk. There's not a lot of positivity surrounding the Cowboys these days so why would you expect happy chatter?

"Did you see that game Monday night? Wow, the Boys looked great! Really excited about this Sunday!"

That generally doesn't come from witnessing a prime time beat down.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The real guys you could actually cut today:

TYRONE CRAWFORD-
EVERSEN GRIFFEN-
DARYL WORLEY-
JOURDAN LEWIS-
DARIAN THOMPSON-
DORANCE ARMSTRONG-

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Jaylon and Elliott aren't tradeable with current guaranteestees. Griffen is a possibility, but age and need to re-sign him wouldn't fetch a ton. Maybe 5th rounder best case scenario. No idea what Aldon's trade value may be, but suspect similar to Griffen. I would be surprised if either was back next year and with Gregory returning may be worth getting something.

Gallup likely has good trade value, but would have to be for something significant. As much as I like Gallup if someone came calling with a 1st knowing I likely only retain him through the 2021 season you have to take it. But more than likely it would be some combo of a second and a third day pick. At that point I would rather retain him unless someone was willing to send a 2nd and 3rd.

Adreme

Reaction score
5, 4, and 2 have no trade value because they have been awful and no one will touch Elliot's contract. The person who wrote this article seems to be under the misunderstanding that people will want the Dallas players who are playing badly for reasons that are yet unknown.

Creeper

Reaction score
The only real trade bait on this list is Gallup. I hate to give up Gallup and would rather they sign him in 2022 than keep Cooper but I am afraid the article is correct. Gallup will be the one to leave in 2022.

I see the point about trading the other guys but they can't trade Smith or Zeke due to the CAP considerations and no one is going to want Poe. The rest of the league probably already has better DTs than Dallas. Griffen is a possibility. There are several contending teams that are not high in the sacks category. The Raiders, Titans, Patriots, Seahawks, and Chargers are all in single digits in sacks. I wonder if any of them would be willing to trade a middle round pick for Griffen. If a team called, I would definitely listen to what they have to offer. Too bad he has done absolutely nothing in Dallas.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a message board - people come here to talk. There's not a lot of positivity surrounding the Cowboys these days so why would you expect happy chatter?

"Did you see that game Monday night? Wow, the Boys looked great! Really excited about this Sunday!"

That generally doesn't come from witnessing a prime time beat down.

Even in good times, it is the same thing. And do you really think I was serious. Come on man. The first line should have been a signal it was not all that serious.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
No GM in there right mind would even give up a 7th for Poe or Griffen. They both would go homeless if cut right now.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You cant screw up an NFL franchise this badly and just walk away from it.

You've got to deal w the cap issues.

It's one more year of looking at these stiffs....then we get to watch Jerry and his kid blow it again.