6-10 can win this division

CPanther95

Reaction score
IF that happened, they'd finish at .500 minimum, so it would make my proposal irrelevant. But, what if they don't? You're ok with a sub .500 division winner making the post season, and hosting a game, while a potentially 10-6 or 11-5 team sits at home?

Yes, I'm fine with that.

The way the schedules are done, the most objective evaluation of who is the "best team" happens when comparing the 4 teams within the same division.

Even if you say all 4 teams in the NFCE absolutely suck, think about what that means in the AFC playoff race. One division played the NFCW while another got to play the NFCE. If you diminish the NFCE champ, the you need to diminish the AFCE's wins they got playing them.

robjay04

Reaction score
Math has never been my strong suit, but if Dallas loses out, and the Eagles lose out *except* for winning the game with Dallas, that puts them both at 6-10 with the Eagles winning the tiebreaker of common opponents. What's interesting is that the Commanders are 3-9. That means, obviously, that they could get to 7-9 and win the division in this scenario.

But don’t the Commanders play the Eagles? So that won’t work.

CB61

Reaction score
Call me sick, but I’m kinda rooting for that.
What happens if the Commanders win out that would make them 6 and 10 to? Unbelievably they're still in the mix and then that would mean if they went out they would split the series with us and it would come to Common opponents? Something like that I don't care as long as they tell me who's playing when they're playing? Here's an idea if all three teams are tied Philly Us in Washington why don't we combine all three teams see if we can make a deep run into the playoffs lol somehow they would still mess it up

CB61

Reaction score
What happens if the Commanders win out that would make them 6 and 10 to? Unbelievably they're still in the mix and then that would mean if they went out they would split the series with us and it would come to Common opponents? Something like that I don't care as long as they tell me who's playing when they're playing? Here's an idea if all three teams are tied Philly Us in Washington why don't we combine all three teams see if we can make a deep run into the playoffs lol somehow they would still mess it up
We could call the team washcowilly

Creeper

Reaction score
6-10 cannot win this division.

Dallas is 6-6
Eagles are 5-7

One of these teams have to win there week 16 matchup. 7-9 could win this division though.

Most likely this will not happen but it could happen. If the Eagles beat the Cowboys and lose out, the Cowboys lose out they will both be 6-10. In that case the Cowboys win the division based on division records. But then we have to watch the Commanders who could get to 7 wins. If the Cowboys and Eagles finish at 6-10 and the Commanders win out, the Commanders win the division at 7-9! But the Skins play GB next week. If they lose that game they are out. They cannot win the division at 6-10 because of their division record. The Cowboys will be 4-2 in the division and the best the Commanders can do is 3-3.

After the Eagles losing to Miami yesterday, and the Skins beating the Panthers anything can happen in the NFC East. IMO, the Cowboys have the best roster in the division by far. But talent alone does not win games. Heart plays a big role in it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a travesty that any of these sorry teams will qualify for the playoffs over clearly far more worthy teams in other divisions.

The NFL should prevent such scenarios by putting minimum qualifications in place for playoff appearances. Maybe make a rule that all playoff teams must have a minimum of 8 wins to qualify for post season. That way if a division winner is not at least .500, then that spot is essentially open as another wildcard spot.
If it were to happen that a sub .500 team got in, that would be an incredibly rare thing. You don't change league rules for that kind of anomaly.

silvernblu

Reaction score
If it were to happen that a sub .500 team got in, that would be an incredibly rare thing. You don't change league rules for that kind of anomaly.

I think the Arizona Cardinals made it at 7-9 one year.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
While it wouldn't be ideal, i don't get why people wouldn't want the chance in the playoffs. Who cares if were 8-8. The giants proved years ago you can get hot and win it all. Nobody remember really they were 8-8, all they remember is that they won it all.

Unlikely - Absolutely, but its still possible if were in it. We have a team built to win in the playoffs.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While it wouldn't be ideal, i don't get why people wouldn't want the chance in the playoffs. Who cares if were 8-8. The giants proved years ago you can get hot and win it all. Nobody remember really they were 8-8, all they remember is that they won it all.

Unlikely - Absolutely, but its still possible if were in it. We have a team built to win in the playoffs.
I like your attitude. I'm disappointed as hell right now, and I certainly don't expect anything significant from the team at this point, but the very nature of athletic competition is overcoming obstacles, and the attempt to beat the odds, even when they are long against you. A true competitor will cling to any opportunity to do that, even when things look grim.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
It's happened twice since 2010. If it happens again this year, that's 3 times this decade. Not that rare.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's happened twice since 2010. If it happens again this year, that's 3 times this decade. Not that rare.
3 teams out of 96 playoff teams from 2010-2018. That seems pretty rare to me (3.1%).

Plus, how many of those were division winners versus wild card berth? If they are wild card berth's, which I assume most or all of those 3 were, then that means there weren't other teams at .500 or better that were left at home anyway.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The NFL badly needs to fix it's playoff setup.

I get that division winners should get a spot in the playoffs, regardless of record.

But NO WAY a 7-9 division winner should be able to host a 12-4 of 13-3 runner up.
It's so disgusting.
A double reward for subpar football and huge penalty to teams having fabulous seasons

It burned New Orleans a few years ago.
Cowboy fans would be so pissed if we were 13-3 but maybe lost a tie-breaker for the division to a 13-3 Philly team, then had to go on the road in the playoffs to , say, a 8-8 or 7-9 division winner elsewhere.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
3 teams out of 96 playoff teams from 2010-2018. That seems pretty rare to me (3.1%).

Plus, how many of those were division winners versus wild card berth? If they are wild card berth's, which I assume most or all of those 3 were, then that means there weren't other teams at .500 or better that were left at home anyway.
Those were all division winners. I did not include any wildcards.

You can, and should, look at it like 3 years out of 10 (30%), because it taints the entire playoff pool when better teams are excluded.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those were all division winners. I did not include any wildcards.

You can, and should, look at it like 3 years out of 10 (30%), because it taints the entire playoff pool when better teams are excluded.
I only found 2 - Carolina in 2014, and Seattle in 2010.
And not a single time in the decade before that. And those 2 times represent only 2.1% of the teams that made the playoffs during that stretch. Not exactly an epidemic