60th Anniversary of JFK's public assassination in Dallas 11/22/1963

triplets_93

Reaction score
I was in 2nd grade. We listened to the coverage in our classroom on a radio.

We had a substitute teacher that day. Our regular teacher took the day off, as she had connections, and was attending a luncheon at the Dallas Trade Mart, where Kennedy was scheduled to speak.

Who was behind JFK's public execution is the most compelling question of the 20th Century, for me.

RoboQB

Reaction score

We had a substitute teacher that day. Our regular teacher took the day off, as she had connections, and was attending a luncheon at the Dallas Trade Mart, where Kennedy was scheduled to speak.

Who was behind JFK's public execution is the most compelling question of the 20th Century, for me.
The answer to your question:

It was the C.I.A.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Still remember when I visited the Schoolbook Museum that they built decades ago. Even though they won't let you get right up next to the window, there was just a small ballard separating the area. (I'm sure it's much more secure now with the world being what it is) There was just something eerie about being in the same spot Oswald was when he shot JFK. One of those history moments.

Don't have a conspiracy book, but second Rev's nomination for Case Closed as the definite article. Read it before you waste your time on anything else because there is an entire market of crap out there promoting the hundreds of conspiracy theories. With the media and world what it is now, I would hope people can accept now that there are just crazy people ready to take their life's failures or in most cases - their mental illness - out on the general public.

However, if you enjoy fictional history and Stephen King, probably my next favorite book by King after The Stand is this one: 11/22/63. They also made a decent Hulu mini-series out of it starring James Franco, but the book is still the best version. It's about JFK, time travel and Stephen King's usual macabre mixed in. First book I've ever read that made me feel what it was like to live, eat and breathe in the early 60's. Great read!

11-22-63.jpg

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Still remember when I visited the Schoolbook Museum that they built decades ago. Even though they won't let you get right up next to the window, there was just a small ballard separating the area. (I'm sure it's much more secure now with the world being what it is) There was just something eerie about being in the same spot Oswald was when he shot JFK. One of those history moments.

Don't have a conspiracy book, but second Rev's nomination for Case Closed as the definite article. Read it before you waste your time on anything else because there is an entire market of crap out there promoting the hundreds of conspiracy theories. With the media and world what it is now, I would hope people can accept now that there are just crazy people ready to take their life's failures or in most cases - their mental illness - out on the general public.

However, if you enjoy fictional history and Stephen King, probably my next favorite book by King after The Stand is this one: 11/22/63. They also made a decent Hulu mini-series out of it starring James Franco, but the book is still the best version. It's about JFK, time travel and Stephen King's usual macabre mixed in. First book I've ever read that made me feel what it was like to live, eat and breathe in the early 60's. Great read!

11-22-63.jpg
I didn't realize that 11/22/63 was from Stephen King. I saw the miniseries, but now I think I'd love to read the book. I thought the miniseries was good for the most part. James Franco was excellent in it, but I though that the actor who played Lee Harvey Oswald was awful. His performance was wooden, and he spoke in a foreign accent that Oswald didn't have. Other than that, I thought the series was really good.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I didn't realize that 11/22/63 was from Stephen King. I saw the miniseries, but now I think I'd love to read the book. I thought the miniseries was good for the most part. James Franco was excellent in it, but I though that the actor who played Lee Harvey Oswald was awful. His performance was wooden, and he spoke in a foreign accent that Oswald didn't have. Other than that, I thought the series was really good.
What I appreciated about the Hulu version is they tried to make it faithful to the book. I guess that’s why it was a miniseries instead of a movie or 2-3 season series. The perfect length to capture the original story. Regarding the actor as Oswald, I think it’s hard to beat the the ultimate Lee Harvey Oswald performance by Gary Oldman in the movie JFK. I believe he was nominated for an Academy award for that, or won the award, and it started his career. Great actor.

Yes, definitely recommend the book. It got me to thinking about why I enjoyed it so much and I think it’s because Stephen King uses all five senses to give the reader an idea of what it’s like to time travel back 60 years. I think most time travel stories focus on only one sense… the visual, and everything that is different. While this does not fail to capture those details, to give you an example, Stephen King goes into the taste of the food at the diners, and how everything just taste better because it’s before the food industry became the processed industrialized machine It is now. Something I never really thought about until reading the book. King does an excellent job capturing the simplicity of life in the early 60’s versus our world today with quick processed food, inflated prices and regulation, cell phones and gadgets everywhere, people keeping to themselves, and so on….

Creeper

Reaction score

I was in 5th grade. When the news broke, the nuns were all crying. They called off school early. I remember how they lined us all up in the halls and let the classes leave one by one. It was always quiet in our school because the nuns were ***** about noise. But that day seemed particularly quiet as we waited to be released to the parking lot where our parents were waiting for us.

I also have a vivid memory of Ruby shooting Oswold. I was sitting down in our den watching TV with my Uncle. He was always cool as a cucumber, But when the gunshot rang out, my uncle calmly said, "They shot him", and that was it.I was startled and had no idea what was going on by my uncle got it immediately.

triplets_93

Reaction score
National News Columnist, journalist, and TV star of What's My Line, Dorothy Kilgallen was about to break a story about JFK/RFK/Marilyn Monroe, and Dorothy MYSTERIOUSLY just died in her NY apartment...

Kilgallen was found dead in a bedroom in her New York City townhouse on Monday, Nov. 8, 1965. Her close friends, including the friend who discovered her dead body, thought she had died somewhere else. They also thought the scene in the room where she was found was abnormal and had been staged.

3-15-2017

Circumstances Undetermined: Dorothy Kilgallen and JFK's Murder

Donald E. Wilkes Jr.
University of Georgia School of Law, wilkes@uga.edu

https://digitalcommons.law.uga.edu/...as found dead in,abnormal and had been staged.

timb2

Reaction score
Who did it? LBJ with the corrupt Deep State ( Big Oil,Mafia,Military Industrial Complex Leaders )of that time. The CIA did the hit and the FBI covered it up.

LBJ hand picked who was going to be on the Warren Commission, not Congress or the Senate. Several did not like JFK that were on that Commission.

timb2

Reaction score

11-22-63.jpg
Conspiracy Theorist was the term the CIA used for anyone who questioned the Warren Commission Report.

rags

Reaction score
If you have a chance, go to iHeart podcasts and listen to actor and filmaker Rob Reiner's 10-part podcast titled Who Killed JFK?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
What I appreciated about the Hulu version is they tried to make it faithful to the book. I guess that’s why it was a miniseries instead of a movie or 2-3 season series. The perfect length to capture the original story. Regarding the actor as Oswald, I think it’s hard to beat the the ultimate Lee Harvey Oswald performance by Gary Oldman in the movie JFK. I believe he was nominated for an Academy award for that, or won the award, and it started his career. Great actor.

Yes, definitely recommend the book. It got me to thinking about why I enjoyed it so much and I think it’s because Stephen King uses all five senses to give the reader an idea of what it’s like to time travel back 60 years. I think most time travel stories focus on only one sense… the visual, and everything that is different. While this does not fail to capture those details, to give you an example, Stephen King goes into the taste of the food at the diners, and how everything just taste better because it’s before the food industry became the processed industrialized machine It is now. Something I never really thought about until reading the book. King does an excellent job capturing the simplicity of life in the early 60’s versus our world today with quick processed food, inflated prices and regulation, cell phones and gadgets everywhere, people keeping to themselves, and so on….
Some of that came through in the series. One of my favorite lines was when Jake finds out that cafe owner had been buying ground beef from the past and he says, "Wait, I've been eating burgers from 1960?" Ha ha, he shouldn't complain. They were probably way better than what he can get today. I also loved the gambling scene, and how that ended up backfiring on him. I thought he should have stock prices brought back in time with him. Buying stocks that you're certain are going up would have been way less risky than betting on sports games.
One thing I didn't quite buy was the series' notion that if JFK had lived, we would have ended up in a horrible dystopia. I personally think there would have been plus and minuses. I think he understood southeast Asia way more than his vice president, and, as a result, we would have avoided the Vietnam War. However, I also think that LBJ was a more skilled wheeler and dealer who knew how to put pressure on people, and he used JFK's assassination to do that. He had a knack for twisting congressmen's arms with ideas like, "If you vote against my bill, the public will see you as dishonoring JFK's memory, and I'll see to it that you lose your next election." The end result was LBJ getting the 1964 Civil Rights and the Voting Rights Act passed, something I don't think JFK would have gotten done. He wasn't as skilled as LBJ in that area, plus he didn't have a traumatic assassination to use to manipulate people with. Let's leave it at that, and not get into a political discussion, and get all against the site rules. This is about what I think would have happened, and is not necessarily about my own views on what should be done in government.
But I think they did a great job getting the time period. It had me asking if I would do it, if I could go back into the past with knowledge that would make me rich, would I do it?

bb721

Reaction score

11-22-63.jpg
I absolutely LOVED the book. The mini series was decent, not great.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He finally got it through his head that he wasn’t very well liked in Dallas.