7 must see movies this year

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
Are there a lot of pictures?:D

There are only small pics at the heading of each chapter.

Have you never read them?

Being Serious?

They really are quite good.

If this lady writes her mystery novels (if she does do mystery novels after the potter series) then I will be interested in reading her works.

She really is talented.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
There are only small pics at the heading of each chapter.

Have you never read them?

Being Serious?

They really are quite good.

If this lady writes her mystery novels (if she does do mystery novels after the potter series) then I will be interested in reading her works.

She really is talented.
I'm not a real big reader. I never have been unfortunately.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:

My wife is not a big reader either.....but she could not put those books down when we got them.

Sadly I think her little sister read a few pages and got bored....she does not seem like a big reader as of yet either.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
The dean koontz books, unless they are made for TV, are always terrible when done for the big screen or straight to video.

I remember seeing him in an interview one time where they asked him about one of the movies made from his book and he said something to the effect of he would rather drive a spike through hand then to watch that movie again lol.

You got that right. I like quite a few of the Koontz books but apparently they don't translate well to the big screen. Phantoms comes to mind as being one of the better ones and it wasn't very good. That may have been Affleck's fault.

jamez25

Reaction score
I also really want to see the 40 Year Old Virgin
go to Neverland. here is my list :
Cinderella Man
Batman Begins
The Island
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
War of the Worlds
Fantastic Four
Crash

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I will see.....ZERO movies at the theaters this year....have not watched a movie at a theater since the original Jurrasic Park lol.

The first date I was on with the girl that would become my wife and I took her to dinner and a movie....she kept saying I did not have to take her to a movie but I thought she just meant to save money.

Later she told me she has some odd phobia of theaters and we have not been back since.

So I wait for the DVDs or them to come on the movie channels.

After seeing your picture, I can see why she would have a phobia about being in a dark theatre with you. :D

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
No Dukes of Hazzard? I am sure it could be really dumb, but I will have to see it.

Explosions - check.
Half naked hot girl - check.
Car chases - check.
Burt Reynolds - check.
Willie Nelson - check.
Stifler and Jackass - check.

Its like a formula for an instant classic.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
This is my top 7 movies coming out from May to December this year that I think are must see.

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: This is the best of the books and if it follows the story it will be Awesome..

3. Fantastic Four The special effects in the preview look great

4. The Longest yard When I first saw they were remaking this with Adam Sandler in it I thought you gotta be kidding me but the trailer looks great. It helps that MI is in it as well

5. The Island The preview looked cool

6. The War of the Worlds This Movie if it follows the book should be Great

7. Star Wars III the only reason its not on the list is its already out other wise it'd be in the top 2....

I must be gettin' old, I don't see a single movie on that list that makes me want to run out to the theater and plunk down my cash... I AM pretty eager to see that new Russell Crowe/Renee Zelwegger (sp?) movie... can't think of it's name right now, but he's a boxer in it...

silverbear

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I will see.....ZERO movies at the theaters this year....have not watched a movie at a theater since the original Jurrasic Park lol.

The last time I was in a theater was for the movie "Heat"... it was a first date, and I couldn't figure out where to take the girl, and she suggested the downtown theater in Front Royal, said it had the most amazing sound system...

She was right, that big gunfight in the streets nearly had me hiding in my seat...

You take my big-screen HDTV and a good DVD player, and a JBL Studio Series surround sound system, and who needs a theater?? One of my favorite things to do when folks visit the house is plug in the movie "Twister", and let them listen as the thunderstorms move in from behind them... that movie shows off my sound system better than any in my collection...

silverbear

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

My reading tastes run towards Dan Jenkins novels, James Michener, James Clavell... but my favorite would have to be the late John McDonald, and his Travis McGee series of mysteries...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
silverbear said:
I must be gettin' old, I don't see a single movie on that list that makes me want to run out to the theater and plunk down my cash... I AM pretty eager to see that new Russell Crowe/Renee Zelwegger (sp?) movie... can't think of it's name right now, but he's a boxer in it...

I see your point outside of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"... nothing strikes my fancy...

CS Lewis is a treasure in our time... and one of the great intellectuals of our era... his work deserves a peak... ;)

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I see your point outside of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"... nothing strikes my fancy...

CS Lewis is a treasure in our time... and one of the great intellectuals of our era... his work deserves a peak... ;)

Jeeeeeesus you're old.

trickblue

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Jeeeeeesus you're old.

Yep... I am... no denial...

That's all in fun... but you would do yourself a favor to read some of CS Lewis' work...

I particularly recommend "Screwtape Letters"...

We have a lot of pretend intellectuals around here... CS Lewis is an ACTUAL intellectual and an international treasure...

I certainly fall into the "pretend" category after reading his stuff... I am no match as to his intellect...

Just do it... :D

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Yep... I am... no denial...

That's all in fun... but you would do yourself a favor to read some of CS Lewis' work...

I particularly recommend "Screwtape Letters"...

We have a lot of pretend intellectuals around here... CS Lewis is an ACTUAL intellectual and an international treasure...

I certainly fall into the "pretend" category after reading his stuff... I am no match as to his intellect...

Just do it... :D

I'm reading the Chronicles now, good stuff, the symbolism/allegory is good, but lets be honest - the writing is juvenile (but on purpose).

That being said, I will take you up on the "Screwtape Letters."

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Lewis a pupil of Tolkien, both famed linguists and such?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Just curious

How do all you grown men know about the Harry Potter books???:D

If you have kids I can understand it but if not.......

I kid you not, a Marine introduced me to the series. His wife is a teacher and she forced him to read them, he loved them, and got me into the series. Those books are not kids books. The first two maybe are, but the writing grows as the main characters grow, and I'm not even sure they can be considered childrens literature anymore. If you ever got a kick out of stuff like Lord of the Rings, you'll love the Harry Potter books. The movies don't do the books justice.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I have read each HP book twice. Got into them in HS. They are very well written.

If any of you are interested in her stuff, I suggest Roald Dahl. He wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, The BFG, among others. Their styles are the same.

But Dahl's true genius is his adult work - short stories and poems. Probably, for my money, the best writer of the last century to come out of Britain.

trickblue

Reaction score
Ok... I hope brainpaint doesn't see this post... :D

Lewis was one of the great intellectuals of our time... he set forth to disprove Christianity but ended up becoming a Christian in the process...

Now... that doesn't discount his great works... a great writer is a great writer... regardless of their beliefs...

If you really want to read some definitive work on his part, you should read "Mere Christianity" it is CHILLING at times...

Also... take a gander at "Shadowlands"... the great Anthony Hopkins literally LEPT at the chance to portray Lewis... it is a VERY under-rated movie...

Lewis was VERY celebrated in the day... his death was overshadowed by that of JFK on the same day...

The Chronicles of Narnia definitely has a Christian bias... but it is nothing short of great literary work...

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
1)Star Wars: EpIII
2)War of the Worlds
3)Batman Begins
4)The Fantastic Four
5)The Longest Yard
6)The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
7)Cinderella Man
8)Mr. and Mrs. Smith
9)Kingdom Of Heaven
10)Dukes Of Hazzard :)

*Just two good ole boys,

Never meaning no harm.

Beats all you never saw, been in trouble with the law

Since the day they was born. YYYEEEE HAAAWWW!*

zagnut

Reaction score
junk said:
No Dukes of Hazzard? I am sure it could be really dumb, but I will have to see it.

Explosions - check.
Half naked hot girl - check.
Car chases - check.
Burt Reynolds - check.
Willie Nelson - check.
Stifler and Jackass - check.

Its like a formula for an instant classic.

These are some very good points. Dukes is on my list now.

zagnut

Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
Hehe My list is way different

1. Fantastic Four
2. Serenity
3. Star Wars
4. The Chronicles of Narnia
5. Batman begins
6. A Sound of Thunder
7. Howl's Moving Castle (I am a huge Hayo Miyazaki fan)

Serenity looks great. I saw the QT trailer and had no idea what it was about given the movie poster with Japanese (?) writing on it. I assumed it was an import. Then I recognized the Firefly cast. I never stayed with the series long enough to connect. Seemed like it was moved around a lot.

I'll just add Richard Linklater's next semi-animated movie, A Scanner Darkly. Looks like a mindf**k but Phillip K. Dick stories have not had a great track record as movies.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/warner_independent_pictures/a_scanner_darkly.html

Also, I know nothing about the source material, but Night Watch looks visually phenomenal and unlike any horror/fantasy movie I've ever seen. Apparently it was released in 2004 in Russia so it's not exactly new.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/night_watch/