7 of 8 Penalties Occurred on 3rd Down for 58 Yards

817Gill

Reaction score
The tweet includes a link to a site we cannot quote post but the information is what’s in the title. I’m not blaming the refs either cause some of these were clear penalties on us.

Moral of the story is good luck moving the ball with any rhythm and consistency if 7 of your third down conversions are called back. Three big runs and some crucial conversions negated. Without these penalties (some our fault/some not), we win this game. Team has to cut down on sloppiness and be more disciplined.

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This should be talked about more. I consider myself a neutral party with officiating as I have officials in my family but, those holding calls on key 3rd downs were suspect. I think I only saw 1 or 2 actual good holding calls in the game. Arizona to have none and the Cowboys with the majority of calls on 3rd downs, some of them they converted to first downs, I can understand why there is controversy about it. Regardless of your stance on this matter, officiating as a whole needs to be improved league wide. More specifically with accountability and integrity in my opinion.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If I'm Jerry, I try to prevent that crew from covering any of our games in the playoffs, and indeed, I'd try to prevent them from ref'ing in the playoffs all together...they are going to ruin the playoffs and ruin someone's season with all of those bull**** calls.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Yes, whether you're a fan of Dak or not, you can rightfully say he's been meh for like 6-7 weeks. But, if you can't see the issues the penalties have caused on a pretty consistent basis ALL year, you have an agenda. At the beginning of the year, Dallas was the 3rd Down kings...now, they've dropped to middle of the pack or worse status. This team HAS TO get disciplined.

Ken

Reaction score
The tweet includes a link to a site we cannot quote post but the information is what’s in the title. I’m not blaming the refs either cause some of these were clear penalties on us.

Moral of the story is good luck moving the ball with any rhythm and consistency if 7 of your third down conversions are called back. Three big runs and some crucial conversions negated. Without these penalties (some our fault/some not), we win this game. Team has to cut down on sloppiness and be more disciplined.
But but but....

dAk's FaUlT!!!!!!

He needs to convert every 3rd and 10 + or he is the WORST!!!!!!!!

Ken

Reaction score
If I'm Jerry, I try to prevent that crew from covering any of our games in the playoffs, and indeed, I'd try to prevent them from ref'ing in the playoffs all together...they are going to ruin the playoffs and ruin someone's season with all of those bull**** calls.
This crew should be banned from the playoffs and broken up for next year...they are horrible.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dallas has been bottom of the league in third down conversions since Dak’s alleged “slump”. It’s not just ‘this week’ caused by penalties, he’s been complete garbage on third down for weeks now.

This was just three weeks ago and it continues today:

Over the last three games, the Dallas Cowboys are second worst in the NFL in third down conversion rate. Less than 25% of their third downs are being converted. Both Detroit and the New York Giants have been better than Dallas. Let that sink in for a second.

https://sportdfw.com/2021/12/09/dallas-cowboys-issues-on-3rd-down-are-easily-fixable/

Why?

Because the OL and RG is no longer averaging an unsustainable 5-6 YPC putting Dak in third and 2s, where he got all the credit by his lackeys and Moore was basically dictating what he wanted from the defense. Now that Dak has to face what average NFL QBs do on every regular Sunday as an NFL pocket passer, he’s being exposed for what he is but his fanboys are making excuses for him because this team is not giving him what is generally unsustainable production from the OL and RG perspective.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Dallas has been bottom of the league in third down conversions since Dak’s alleged “slump”. It’s not just ‘this week’ caused by penalties, he’s been complete garbage on third down for weeks now.

Why?

Because the OL and RG is no longer averaging an unsustainable 5-6 YPC putting Dak in third and 2s, where he got all the credit by his lackeys and Moore was basically dictating what he wanted from the defense. Now that Dak has to face what average NFL QBs do on every regular Sunday as an NFL pocket passer, he’s being exposed for what he is but his fanboys are making excuses for him because this team is not giving him what is generally unsustainable production from the OL and RG perspective.

They didn't even average 3 ypc on Sunday even though Arizona kept dropping 7 into coverage...but, keep on feeding us this the OL is wonderful crap. Take away Dak's runs. it's barely 2 ypc.

817Gill

Reaction score
Excellent observation. When you're watching.....you know these are not just drive killers but game killers.
Exactly. This is what I take into consideration when assessing the offense and QB play. Dak wasn’t great, but you can’t put all the stalled drives and lack of points on him when the offense is moving the ball but getting called back.

How many of those drives end in scores if we don’t have those penalties? 7 penalties on third down is ludicrous. One was a huge gain by Pollard that set us up nicely in the redzone.

When these things happen you don’t give yourself an honest look at dissecting the offense. It looks worse in the overall yardage and score than in reality. We were moving the ball on multiple drives throughout the game. But when most of your third down conversions are called back it’s impossible to put the yards and points up that you could’ve.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

This was just three weeks ago and it continues today:

https://sportdfw.com/2021/12/09/dallas-cowboys-issues-on-3rd-down-are-easily-fixable/

Why?

3rd & 2s? Where? Show is some film.

More like 3rd & 10s.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
They didn't even average 3 ypc on Sunday even though Arizona kept dropping 7 into coverage...but, keep on feeding us this the OL is wonderful crap. Take away Dak's runs. it's barely 2 ypc.
He lies like he breathes air......all...the...time.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

3.7 for the last 3 games. Bottom 6 in the league.

khiladi

Reaction score
They didn't even average 3 ypc on Sunday even though Arizona kept dropping 7 into coverage...but, keep on feeding us this the OL is wonderful crap.

1. We didn’t run the ball that much.

2. And yet, Dak has still been complete garbage for weeks now on third down, when he has to PASS.

Over the last three games, the Dallas Cowboys are second worst in the NFL in third down conversion rate. Less than 25% of their third downs are being converted. Both Detroit and the New York Giants have been better than Dallas. Let that sink in for a second.

That’s even worse than a JG destroyed offense. Make excuses all you want, facts are clear. This trend started weeks ago. Now that your boy isn’t getting third and 2s regularly, he looks like complete garbage throwing the ball, particularly against zones. Most of the time checkdown Charlie is not even going through his reads properly, going immediately to his short route which leads to the third and longs in the first place.

In essence, what you are saying is Dak is a bum at passing he ball and he doesn’t have an elite running game to carry him.

Any QB, given enough time against man coverage and these type of WRs can throw for 300 yards regularly. Dak was never special. That’s the bottom line.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Exactly. This is what I take into consideration when assessing the offense and QB play. Dak wasn’t great, but you can’t put all the stalled drives and lack of points on him when the offense is moving the ball but getting called back.

How many of those drives end in scores if we don’t have those penalties? 7 penalties on third down is ludicrous. One was a huge gain by Pollard that set us up nicely in the redzone.

When these things happen you don’t give yourself an honest look at dissecting the offense. It looks worse in the overall yardage and score than in reality. We were moving the ball on multiple drives throughout the game. But when most of your third down conversions are called back it’s impossible to put the yards and points up that you could’ve.
I'm glad to see @Cowboy Lover acknowledge this.

:thumbup::clap: