76 Xavier Su'a Filo needs to be resigned. Guy who can do both!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Looney should be the starting LG. IMO
Looney played better in 18 than Frederick did in 19.

72 will have his strength back in 2020, just saying Looney is a nice player.

As to the OP, I expect that McGovern is a starter in the league, and there may not be room for X, unless Looney goes....and I do expect to lose him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm gonna get blasted for this, but I had a thought...

We have several very serviceable interior OL. Way more than we can put on the field at once.

Assuming you can retain a Looney and/or XSF if they are a starter.

I wonder how much the defense can be improved if Zack Martin was traded.

Itll never happen, but I wonder if you could get a Jamal Adams and a pick for him, if we would be better off overall.

Maybe Adams and one of their young DL for Martin?

Zack is probably my favorite player, but you cant expect to get an impact defender by trading Williams or McGovern.

Just a thought. Have at it lol.....

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
So, you want to weaken the OL for Adams, who is a RFA next year, and has stated publicly and repeatedly that expects to be the highest paid S.

Oh, and BTW, trading Martin leaves $20 m in dead money.

Yeah.

No.

quickccc

Reaction score
He can't stay healthy and has trouble against quickness. Joe Looney was a better option but these passive coaches wanted to keep him as a backup instead of putting our best 5 out there.

yet Sua Filo more than held his own vs probably the quickest, most disruptive interior pass rusher in NFL Defensive MVP Aaron Donald in contributing to a Cowboys blow out rout win over Rams.
We didn't hear a peep of a whisper outta of Donald the entire game because of Sua Filo. He more than proved himself a quality backup. :grin:

quickccc

Reaction score
Even if he somehow return, he'd be again fighting for a roster spot on the backup depth chart, with either one of the Connors being the sole backup off the bench, and the likes of Brandon Knight and Andy Redmon who can play both OG and center.

Plus if you were Xavier's agent, wouldn't you think Sua Filo would like to entertain offers to have a chance to be a full time starter again after a successful vs Donald ?

conner01

Reaction score
How many interior OL do you need? You have McGovern coming back. You also have to keep Looney as he can play C unless you are planning on McGovern being the backup C.

I think one of Looney or Su'a is probably gone.
Looney more valuable
McGovern May be able to do both but a proven vet on a short deal is safer

quickccc

Reaction score
Looney played better in 18 than Frederick did in 19.

72 will have his strength back in 2020, just saying Looney is a nice player.

As to the OP, I expect that McGovern is a starter in the league, and there may not be room for X, unless Looney goes....and I do expect to lose him.

as admirable as Looney played in 2018 ( and stay unbelievably durable at that) I don't think his play cannot make up for what Fredrick does in making adjusting in audible calls, having
the awareness and reaction to stunts and twists. Travis is not at his previous pro bowl level form yet, but there is a reason why the this unit led the NFL in least sacks allowed.
and he is one of them.

McGovern knowing how to play both OG and center gives us tremendous flexibility if it came down to him having to move over to center while the other Conner steps in at LG.
We'll just have to see how Redmon's development continues. but be prepared to lose three of these backups in FA come March. ( looney, Xavier and Fleming)
If Wiilliams becomes the backup to McGovern, I don't see why we cannot consider him as a utility guy that can swing between OG and OT in a pinch.
He was a terrific pass blocking LT while starting at Texas.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I need this guy back on left side completing the stout interior OL that can move DL off the line scrimmage or sit back and form a wall for the franchise QB.

What I see from Xavier: Power, Tenacity, Finishing blocks, Road grader , Zeke TDs producer etc... who can play Zone and Power scheme.

He’s one of my favorite Cowboys and I really don’t know why. When I see him out there, it just brings a smile to my face for some reason.

it really sucked when he got hurt and I really hope he’s with us next season

Rockdoc

Reaction score
dont forget we need a way better back up OT. FA or draft (after DB x 2, DL x2 )(Draft or FA)

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao2:
I found the Dallas Cowboys next Olineman. She's a BEAST! She easily manhandles anyone who gets in her way. :cool:
Unlawful-Regal-Indianpalmsquirrel-size-restricted.gif
DANG! How did you get that vid of @waldoputty woman in action like that? As I look closer, her twin sister on the left at the bar isn't no Mary Poppins either. :laugh:

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
yet Sua Filo more than held his own vs probably the quickest, most disruptive interior pass rusher in NFL Defensive MVP Aaron Donald in contributing to a Cowboys blow out rout win over Rams.
We didn't hear a peep of a whisper outta of Donald the entire game because of Sua Filo. He more than proved himself a quality backup. :grin:

LittleD

Reaction score
Connor Williams played well.

People just don't know what they are watching around here. If you aren't fat, this board thinks you suck as an interior OL

It sure beats Connor Williams being flung around like a rag doll. For sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.