Video: 8/04 Training Camp Live

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Extended edition... I like the sound of that!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I rank the DTs on that performance as

Coleman - 2nd string couldn't block him
T Crawford - looks more massive than last year
Bishop - won his reps
McClain - nice penetration but hurt himself again
Whaley - quick and won some but spent time on the turf. looks green.
Hayden - weak hands and average feet, better served against 2s than Martin
Crawford - just seemed to get eaten up again and again

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Weems reminds me of Doug Free. Very good feet, kinda soft.

DLaw forcing Free to cheat upfield was encouraging. Free whiffed trying to mirror him upfield

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I rank the DTs on that performance as

Coleman - 2nd string couldn't block him
T Crawford - looks more massive than last year
Bishop - won his reps
McClain - nice penetration but hurt himself again
Whaley - quick and won some but spent time on the turf. looks green.
Hayden - weak hands and average feet, better served against 2s than Martin
Crawford - just seemed to get eaten up again and again

I'm assuming the 2nd Crawford you mentioned is Jack, not Tyrone.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Collins is going to take Free's job before long.

I've said for a long time Free is better than many here think but I've also said he was someone we could upgrade. He's hung in there because he's very serviceable or better and we've had bigger holes to fill and attend to.

If Weems or Collins beat him out then I'm all for it. I think they'll put the best players out there to start. I don't see Collins taking over soon but I'm fine with that. I don't think Weems will beat Free either but he's more competition at this point than I suspect Collins is. My guess is Free will stay the starter for now.

At some point someone is either going to beat him out, he'll get injured and someone will step up well enough to be a permanent change, or he'll get enough competition to be cut.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I'd like it to be sooner than later but it seems the team is intent on giving Weems his shot and leaving Free the incumbent.

Naturally. Free is the incumbent, so he gets the nod for now. It'll take someone stepping up to unseat him, or maybe an injury.
I've said for a long time Free is better than many here think but I've also said he was someone we could upgrade. He's hung in there because he's very serviceable or better and we've had bigger holes to fill and attend to.

If Weems or Collins beat him out then I'm all for it. I think they'll put the best players out there to start. I don't see Collins taking over soon but I'm fine with that. I don't think Weems will beat Free either but he's more competition at this point than I suspect Collins is. My guess is Free will stay the starter for now.

At some point someone is either going to beat him out, he'll get injured and someone will step up well enough to be a permanent change, or he'll get enough competition to be cut.

Either way, Collins is a lineman of the future here. You don't mess with what is working thus far, but he's basically waiting to take over for someone. It will be either Leary or Free at some point, but I think smart money would be on Free because of age/performance. Doug Free, while good, is still obviously 5 out of 5 on the offensive line in talent ranking (Smith, Frederick, Martin, Leary, Free is how I would rank them talentwise, position immaterial).

It's all part of a process or greater plan.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not sure why Free's one of those guys everybody is always looking to replace, but that's just the way it's going to be for him.

Collins is going to make his move next offseason. The team's envisioning him at OG, I believe, since that's what appears to be his best position, physically. With Free's replacement to be Chaz Green or TBD. For now, we're fortunate to have good starters and good depth everywhere along the OL.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Free's one of those guys everybody is always looking to replace, but that's just the way it's going to be for him.

Collins is going to make his move next offseason. The team's envisioning him at OG, I believe, since that's what appears to be his best position, physically. With Free's replacement to be Chaz Green or TBD. For now, we're fortunate to have good starters and good depth everywhere along the OL.

He got a rep he really didn't deserve although to be fair he was slow/resistant to pick up the new ZBS of Callahan. Then there was a cacophony of despair and criticism of the player and....well you know the rest. Myths are hard to dispel once perpetuated.

He can be replaced. We just haven't run into the bloke yet.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Naturally. Free is the incumbent, so he gets the nod for now. It'll take someone stepping up to unseat him, or maybe an injury.

Either way, Collins is a lineman of the future here. You don't mess with what is working thus far, but he's basically waiting to take over for someone. It will be either Leary or Free at some point, but I think smart money would be on Free because of age/performance. Doug Free, while good, is still obviously 5 out of 5 on the offensive line in talent ranking (Smith, Frederick, Martin, Leary, Free is how I would rank them talentwise, position immaterial).

It's all part of a process or greater plan.

Not sure where he goes but at some point this year or next it will likely be hard to keep him off the field. What a nice problem to have.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Ryan Russell looks like a bad draft choice. I've been at camp several times. He can't play. Maybe practice squad guy.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score

He is the Greg Ellis of the OL. He's pretty good and probably a little undervalued, but not a force to be reckoned with and never going to be in the top 5-10 of his position group. If you can upgrade him you should, but someone needs to take his job from him.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score

With Gibson, Weems and Collins there is a higher ceiling, does Free have any market value around the league?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Ryan Russell looks like a bad draft choice. I've been at camp several times. He can't play. Maybe practice squad guy.

Are you actually in Oxnard? Would love to get an average joe's take on some of our new players instead of the "media expert" stuff.