84 bears... most sacks in a season

thssanders

Reaction score
I was curious so I looked it up. We have 53 sacks on the season. The steelers are second with 47.

The 84 bears ended up with a whopping 72 sacks. Thats incredible.

thssanders

Reaction score
I'm not sure... but if i had to guess i'd say no. But again, i'm not sure. Just typed team sack record into google and came up with da 84 bears.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
thssanders;2497138 said:
I was curious so I looked it up. We have 53 sacks on the season. The steelers are second with 47.

The 84 bears ended up with a whopping 72 sacks. Thats incredible.

That was the first yr they ran the 4-6 fulltime I think and it was their first playoff season under Ditka. They beat Washington on the road in the playoffs that yr. The next yr of course they went 15-1

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I wonder what kind of pace this team has been on since Wade took over the defense? Probably close to that number.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Tra_Col99;2497147 said:
Does that number include the sacks they got in the playoffs and superbowl?
Nope. That is the regular season #.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Tra_Col99;2497147 said:
Does that number include the sacks they got in the playoffs and superbowl?

no, regular season only

84- 72 sacks
85- 64 sacks
86- 62 sacks
87- 69 sacks (only 15 games due to strike yr)

pretty remarkable run on sacks, and Buddy Ryan left after the 85 season

Avenging Hayseed

Interwebs fooseball expert
Reaction score
It was a whole lot easier to get sacks back then IMO. The west coast offense was still in its infancy, san fran and MAYBE a couple other teams were using it. Hard to get a sack with those three step drops. Defensive backs back then also had a whole lot more leeway, nowadays defensive backs have pretty much been de nutted. You breathe on a w.r nowadays and its a penalty. Back then d.b's could be more aggressive, thus slowing down the route somewhat and making it easier to get to the QB. Having said that, still an amazing feat what the bears pulled off.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
With all the rule changes geared towards offense, we will never see another defense as dominant as that one.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
No one had a clue about what to do against that Bears defense. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Avenging Hayseed

Interwebs fooseball expert
Reaction score
Juke99;2497358 said:
No one had a clue about what to do against that Bears defense. I've never seen anything quite like it.
........Pretty much spot on. But ONE TEAM did. The Marino led Miami Dolphins. He stood tuff in the pocket and just kept launching it. I remember watching the game. Spoiled the Bears dreams of an undefeated season.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed;2497394 said:
........Pretty much spot on. But ONE TEAM did. The Marino led Miami Dolphins. He stood tuff in the pocket and just kept launching it. I remember watching the game. Spoiled the Bears dreams of an undefeated season.

Yep. True. Monday night. That quick release of his was something they didn't have an answer for.

JRid21

Reaction score

Even though I'm a diehard Cowboys fan Dan Marino is my favorite quarterback ever. As a child in the early 90's I loved the Dolphins almost as much as the Cowboys when he was with them. Such a great great quarterback.

Btw anyone own the Bears DVD set released last year, I'm getting it for Christmas. I wanted it just to see the 4-6 defense in action and see how dominant their defense actually was.

RoadRunner

Reaction score

I think the Bears were lucky that Miami wasn't there to face them again in the SB. The Mario Dolphins were the one team that matched up well with them.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
xpistofer;2497492 said:
;) romo's release is quicker...

Maybe so, maybe not...Namath was quicker than both...and with a better arm than both.

The Panch

Reaction score
People forget how dominant the other defenses were other than 85. The 84 Bears had more sacks and gave up fewer yards and the 86 Bears gave up fewer points. 85 just ended up being the year that they had some offense. That D had a historical domination in the post season tho.

RoadRunner;2497804 said:
I think the Bears were lucky that Miami wasn't there to face them again in the SB. The Mario Dolphins were the one team that matched up well with them.
Yeap. The Bears were dominant, but folks always want to ignore their one glaring weakness when they call them the all time great D. Id say for their era, they were definately that, but they wouldnt survive in today's league. even if they were bigger and faster, cause their linebackers were liabilities in coverage big time and that's where most of their talent was at.