#88 & #88 - Mr. Clutch & The Playmaker

Ichill2

Reaction score
Michael Irvin had Drew Pearson on last week and they had interesting conversation about the Cowboys:

Cowboys fans I don't know who Jerry Jones is listening to but it's definitely not the guys who helped us win Championships. They had an interesting point. Roy Williams (WR) should earn the #1 spot as WR and not be appointed or named the #1 receiver. Drew said he could teach Roy how to come out of his routes clean. Drew feels RW is not a polished receiver. Mike also feels the same. His routes aren't crisp according to Mike and Drew. I believe the guys who played the position not a Owner acting as GM. Jerry gave up too much for RW the unproven WR. He has talent and can be good but do we have the tools in place to train. I sure hope so.

Woods

Reaction score
Ichill2;2688887 said:
Michael Irvin had Drew Pearson on last week and they had interesting conversation about the Cowboys:

Cowboys fans I don't know who Jerry Jones is listening to but it's definitely not the guys who helped us win Championships. They had an interesting point. Roy Williams (WR) should earn the #1 spot as WR and not be appointed or named the #1 receiver. Drew said he could teach Roy how to come out of his routes clean. Drew feels RW is not a polished receiver. Mike also feels the same. His routes aren't crisp according to Mike and Drew. I believe the guys who played the position not a Owner acting as GM. Jerry gave up too much for RW the unproven WR. He has talent and can be good but do we have the tools in place to train. I sure hope so.

Well, hopefully some of our coaches can help RW out.

I'm sure they can improve RW's game. As long as RW is willing to put in the effort.

hutch1254

Reaction score
Woods;2688890 said:

I'm sure they can improve RW's game. As long as RW is willing to put in the effort.

Agreed, seeing it's the JOB OF THE COACHES to teach these guys how to mold the players' talent to their top potential. I'm not opposed to having Drew or Michael teach as well but the coaches should always be the primary.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Ichill2;2688887 said:

Well, they have the talking part done.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
#88 & #88 - Mr. Clutch & The Playmaker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i agree with what Michael Irvin and Drew Pearson said; lets look at this another way.

How often did you hear that T O, Roy Williams, Crayton, Austin ran sloppy routes, that goes back to teaching from the wide receivers coach and the offensive coordinator. Now, granted, some of that lays with wade phillips for letting players get off on some days they shouldnt have, like after the arizona game, wade let the players have monday off, thats the day the players should have been looking at film etc. Then if you remember wade let some of the receivers and offensive linemen off during the week. As well as no hitting in training camp the first 25 days of camp.

Think about those things, and who said his camp would be tougher than coach cupcakes training camp, Michael Irvin. That says alot too. And who said, when was the last time you saw some hard hitting in training camp, reply was, last time was the last year parcells was here.

Then, you saw what jacquee reeves said, stuff in offseason didnt change and the texans are more hungier to win, etc. Along with what Chris Canty said. Its time that you wake up and see what is really going on, and wanting a change and get that across to jerry jones.

Thats why i think jerry jones tried to put in a contract time clause in dan reeves contract, jerry jones saw what wade phillips was doing in training camp, letting players off and not working hard, tiill wade was forced too. When you allow that stuff to go on, it destorys the team because your not being a tough coach, and its hard to teach players when you dont have them hitting, runniing right routes. Rember what roy williams said at end of the year, the lions practiced harder, etc.

What are some of you going to see the light? Or does it take a train to run you over. When great players like Terry Bradshaw, Michael Irvin, Drew Pearson, Howie Long, Nate Netwon, Bob Lily, Jimmy Johnson said this is a sloppy foootball team, this team definitely needs techinques, harder working in training camps and OTAs, like last year, what one player that isnt on the team now, would come in early and work out before other players came in? And he got away with that, what other players didnt work out in OTAs last year, Hamlin, and Barber, did they have a great year last year? No!Time for you to wake up and smell the roses!

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Continuity has been the theme preached this offseason.

Last year and the year before, and the year before that... Romo's #1 WR ran poor routes.

This year... he'll still have a #1 WR that runs poor routes.

Continuity + loss of cancer = Championship.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woods;2688890 said:

Right, as he has not been through a TC with us yet. Let's see what happens.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Ichill2;2688887 said:

We should sign Marvin Harrison if for no other reason than to mentor the young WRs on how to run routes properly.

khiladi

Reaction score
Yoshimitsu;2689003 said:
T.O. was a lousy route runner. But Irvin was sure saying how great T.O. was.

According to who? I never once in my mind thought that HoF players are lousy route runners, especially those that are best in the West Coast offense...

khiladi

Reaction score
THUMPER;2689001 said:
We should sign Marvin Harrison if for no other reason than to mentor the young WRs on how to run routes properly.

How about we get an OC that can call routes that aren't predictable and that don't run right into the heart of the defense?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
khiladi;2689104 said:
How about we get an OC that can call routes that aren't predictable and that don't run right into the heart of the defense?
:lmao2:

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
khiladi;2689104 said:

I'm no fan of RHG either but that was terrible:lmao:

khiladi

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2689122 said:
I'm no fan of RHG either but that was terrible:lmao:

Not at all.

Teams were playing to stop the deep pass, and TO kept running deep routes. His average YPC 15.2, with his RAC around 4.2. That is 11 YPC, which is among the highest of his career. Further, he had only 38 first downs, which means that despite that yardage, teams were simply playing to stop deep. It also indictes most likely that this team was in situations where they were in 3rd and long alot.