9 Recent Draft Picks don't make the 53-man roster

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wouldn’t think this is that uncommon but if it is it is partly bc our roster is so deep (which should make one wonder why we haven’t won more games).
We also do very well in the UDFA pool.
But as I stated in another thread, we should consider trading up more since many mid round picks get cut anyway.

2 4th round picks is what allowed us to draft Dak. You need extra late picks as some will make it while others flame out quickly.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I just checked, there were 254 picks last year. Effectively, your average team makes 8 picks per year. If you have more than 40 players taken by your team on your roster, you are drafting quite well. This thread is kind of weird. If a team never picked up anyone else's picks and never missed on a draft pick, you would turn over your entire roster in less than 7 years. Given that every eventually trades for or signs someone else's picks, its a laughably impossible criteria.

Would love to see what percentage each team has of its own draft picks. I suspect the Cowboys will be among the highest.

jaybird

Reaction score
How does this record compare to other teams? I'd love to know how our scouts compare to the league average.
...but more than scouting..ability of trainers and coaches to bring out the best in a player can also be a factor Also depends on team draft position of course.
So many factors it's prob not possible to make any conclusions....
The Cowboys have stashed 2 recent draft picks on Reserve Lists, and cut 7 others.

2016 - 6th round pick Darius Jackson, RB
2016 - 6th round pick Rico Gathers, TE

2017 - 7th round pick Noah Brown, WR - Reserve/PUP

2018 - 5th round pick Mike White, QB
2018 - 6th round pick Chris Covington, LB
2018 - 6th round pick Cedrick Wilson, WR

2019 - 5th round pick Michael Jackson, Sr., CB
2019 - 7th round pick Mike Weber, RB
2019 - 7th round pick Jalen Jelks, DE - Reserve/Injured

This comes after the Cowboys the Cowboys parted ways last year with 2017 4th round pick Ryan Switzer in a preseason trade, cut 2016 4th round pick Charles Tapper, and cut 2018 7th round pick Bo Scarbrough. Of course, 2017 6th & 7th round picks Marquez White, Joe Ivie, and Jordan Carrell didn't make the team as rookies. That brings the total to 15 recent 3rd day draft picks who are no longer with the team.

Only 9 late round picks from last 4 drafts still playing for Dallas

2016 4th round pick Dak Prescott, QB
2016 6th round pick Anthony Brown, CB
2016 6th round pick Kavon Frazier, SS
2017 6th round pick Xavier Woods, FS
2018 4th round pick Dorance Armstrong, DE
2018 4th round pick Dalton Schultz, TE
2019 4th round pick Tony Pollard, RB
2019 5th round pick Joe Jackson, DE
2019 6th round pick Donovan Wilson, SS

All 12 players acquired by the Cowboys with their 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks from the last 4 drafts are still with the team.

2016 - Ezekiel Elliott, Jaylon Smith, Maliek Collins
2017 - Taco Charlton, Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis
2018 - Leighton Vander Esch, Connor Williams, Michael Gallup
2019 - Amari Cooper, Trysten Hill, Connor McGovern

Starters in Blue. Charlton is likely to be the starting RDE for at least the first two games of 2019.
Just wasted about 60 seconds of my life reading this post. What’s the point ?

ghst187

Reaction score
I know but in order to continue the success weve had we must continue to use them all.

Prefer a few really good talents over scattershot at a bunch of marginals, we could trade away a few to move up more than we do

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Prefer a few really good talents over scattershot at a bunch of marginals, we could trade away a few to move up more than we do

We can lose on that too. Traded up for dlaw-won that one but ask the broncos about trading upfor lynch which we tried to do. More pics means more chances to hit.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Some of those guys getting cut are a testament to how deep this team is which is a good thing.

Yeah, exactly. Is the person who started the thread complaining or bragging or what.
Take 5th round CB Michael Jackson. He was in an uphill battle to make the team without an injury to one of the starters. Maybe even Giants 1st rd pick Deandre Baker (who last I heard wasn't playing very well) wouldn't crack the starting lineup of Jones, Awuzie, Lewis, and Brown. Now, Jackson did lose out to CJ Goodwin who has 3 years under his belt due to special teams. Now CB Michael Jackson didn't help himself with poor play out of the gate against SF. Jackson will be on the PS and might be able to help out down the road this year or next.

catiii

Reaction score
Just wasted about 60 seconds of my life reading this post. What’s the point ?
@jaybird said: Just wasted about 60 seconds of my life reading this post. What’s the point ?

LOLOL It's no fun playing wit you when you act like dat!!! :laugh:

Feel better now? :huh: Anyway, ignore is your friend. I know it's one of mine.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
6th and 7th round picks don't have a high success rate, especially after 2 or 3 years.

Late 5th round picks (results of being a good team) are in that boat as well.

Too many fans have bought into this whole idea that the Cowboys will just out draft everyone else.
The Cowboys have out-drafted pretty much everyone else but you only have 53 spots.
Eventually you run out of roster spots.

Almost every player on that cut list will end up somewhere this year on a roster or PS or injured reserve.
They have marginal NFL talent and lots of guys kick around the bottom of the league a few years.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No. they haven't.

Although they have greatly improved from being one of the worse drafting teams.
There are lots of measures to grade drafting but DAL has been at the top in virtually every real metric that matters.
Most notably in drafting All Pros and of course drafting the winningest QB of those drafted the last 3 seasons in round 4.

Trying to argue they arent outdrafting people is frankly stupid.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
How does this record compare to other teams? I'd love to know how our scouts compare to the league average.
...but more than scouting..ability of trainers and coaches to bring out the best in a player can also be a factor Also depends on team draft position of course.

There was something on reddit about homegrown talent... gimme one minute

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score