A closer look at Garrett record doesn't justify firing until this year

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry can’t sell 1-7 or 3 consecutive 5-11 but he can sell the heck out of 8-8.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was a quote today that I forget who posted but it said something like Dak is more in love with what it means to be the Dallas QB than he is doing what needs to be a good QB.

I am paraphrasing.

That is 100% Jerry. He LOVES being the owner/GM and being the worlds most valued franchise more than he loves winning. He is more about the cash and his legacy as an innovator than he is about winning games. Garrett doesn't rock the boat or want his strings cut so Jerry will keep his puppet and raking his cash while the fans live with 8-8 football.

Thats assuming he has the talent to ascend to the elite level of QB, and he does not. I do think he wants it and is working for it.

But, you are not going to change his mechanics or improve his ability to quickly make decisions or read defenses at this point. He is who he is. He played best when the coaches shrunk the playbook and limited him to one side of the field. He's a back-up QB.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Thats assuming he has the talent to ascend to the elite level of QB, and he does not. You are not going to change his mechanics or improve his ability to quickly make decisions or read defenses at this point. He is who he is. He played best when the coaches shrunk the playbook and limited him to one side of the field. He's a back-up QB.

Oh ****!!!!!!!!! How the hell Dak fleas get in here........lol

bsbellomy

Reaction score
You're misunderstanding me.......I'm not defending him ( they can fire him next week for all I care coz I think his time is up). Just simply show a different perspective if you sitting in Jerry's chair. Funny, I'm still waiting for a poster to suggest the best window/year he should have realistically been fired.

So is also the record the only thing we can look at? How many games have we lost because he is completely lost in managing the clock? Didn't he ice his own kicker once? I mean can you honestly look at the job he's done and say it's not subpar?

Even the OL success is now gone due to a coach that has left for greener pastures.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
2013 is when he needed to go IMO. The defense had totally disintegrated by that point, Garrett had been stripped of his playcalling duties by Bill Callahan, the Air Coryell offense was already stale, the team constantly went pass happy despite having a prime Demarco Murray averaging 5 YPC, we went 8-8 with another do-or-die Week 17 loss: I mean, every trait we associate with Garrett had already been crystallized IMO. They were evident in 2010, 2011, 2012, and by 2013 you've just got to realize the guy is who he is. 5 years later and he STILL has made no progress as an HC that I am aware of.

The weird thing is, the guy who probably saved Jason Garrett's job is actually Scott Linehan. When he was signed as OC, I remember the griping on the old Cowboys boards - we took Garrett's borderline air raid offense, then replaced him as OC with the guy from Detroit who's only playcall in the book was throwing it up to Calvin Johnson - same ol', same ol. Then they turn around and give Murray the single most abusive rushing workload of the last 5 NFL seasons. Garrett and Linehan both need to be fired ASAP, but I'll give them credit for that: that was a creative move that I don't think anyone saw coming.

Last edited: