CFZ A closer look at our inability to stop the run last two seasons

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m reading an article this morning how SF was 5th in rushing defense this season giving up 97 yards a game but in playoffs gave up 136 yards on the ground to Green Bay and 182 yards to Detroit.

Interesting how they overcame being gashed on the ground in the playoffs. But they had offenses that led them from behind.

This isnt meant to take away from Bobs most excellent thread and no doubt a weakness for the Cowboys. But great teams and better clutch QB’s can overcome. At least in the playoffs.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
No, we were looking for CB in round 1, but after the top 3 went ahead of us we went BPA with Parsons. But since we didn't get a CB in the 1st we drafted for need in the 2nd and got Kelvin Joseph.
Nope. We considered Joseph BPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Taco also. You don't get to declare all the good picks your little numnum and all the bad picks the strategy you don't like.

Honestly, the arguments about drafting need vs BPA are incredibly lame. Both must be considered, and if you use only one to draft by, then you are incredibly stupid. Wouldn't surprise me if Jerry only uses one facet to draft by, he's that dumb.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m reading an article this morning how SF was 5th in rushing defense this season giving up 97 yards a game but in playoffs gave up 136 yards on the ground to Green Bay and 182 yards to Detroit.

Interesting how they overcame being gashed on the ground in the playoffs. But they had offenses that led them from behind.

This isnt meant to take away from Bobs most excellent thread and no doubt a weakness for the Cowboys. But great teams and better clutch QB’s can overcome. At least in the playoffs.
It's common for a D that was great during the regular season to get torn up in the playoffs. KC was 11th last season and Philly was 2nd, and yet both teams got 35 or more points rung up on them. Sometimes a great O will overcome a great D and vice versa. Look at the Rams in 2019. 2nd in yards and points during the regular season, but then lost the super bowl 13-3.

It's almost like, all bets are off in the playoffs and the team that comes up w/ a way to overcome is the winner. Happens a lot.

kskboys

Reaction score
Good work, but D-Law summed it up - they were too tired.
BS. They were undermanned. He just doesn't want to say they lacked talent, because that would upset his teammates. That's just a standard answer to avoid the truth.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the problems with run defense all start with the type of players Jerry likes to draft and coaches he likes to hire. Always looking for DEs and drafting project LBs. He doesn't like big DT with attitude. Jerry won't go out in the FA market or trade for Leonard Williams or Quinnen Williams. Jerry had a chance to draft Chris Jones instead of that LB with a shredded knee.
If they had Patrick Mahomes under center they could play more ball control offense using up the clock.
We don't even look at guys like Chris Jones.

CWR

Reaction score
It hasnt been a priority in decades
The rams playoff game we got ran all over, that was in 2018, what have we done since then? Drafted a bunch of injury prone players and a DT who we tried to get even lighter?
Outside of Parsons and Dlaw our line has been abysmal, Armstrong will make a play every 4 games, and OSA has flashes early then goes MIA. And we have nothing at LB even fully healthy for stopping the run.
Been saying this forever it feels like. Same problems as 2018. It is masked by bad opponents and games where the opposition abandons the run. We can stop it sometimes, but not against the better teams determined to do so.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Been saying this forever it feels like. Same problems as 2018. It is masked by bad opponents and games where the opposition abandons the run. We can stop it sometimes, but not against the better teams determined to do so.
I'd just go with the old standby. It's jerry's fault and never think about it again. :p

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The inability to stop the run really gets exposed when:
  • The opposing team gets ahead two scores and defense must get stops.
  • The offense cannot answer opponent‘s fast start forcing the defense to keep the team in the game.
  • The pass rush is neutralized by great play action of the better teams that can run and pass with equal effectiveness.

Smith22

Reaction score
Looking at the last two seasons, it is not difficult to see what the biggest issue the Dallas Cowboys have had on defense: The inability to stop the run against the better teams we face. That’s been an issue for more than two seasons, but I chose to just look at 2022 and 2023 since they are the most recent.

In the 2022 and 2023 seasons including the playoffs, the Cowboys won 13 games in 2022 and 12 games 2023. They lost 6 games in 2022 and 6 games in 2023. I want to look at the role the inability to stop the run played in those combined 12 losses the last two seasons.

Here are the stats for the 6 losses we had in 2022 and how many yards rushing we surrendered:
  • Vs TB- L 19-3. Gave up 153 yards rushing
  • @Phi L 26-17. Gave up 136 yards rushing
  • @GB L 31-28. Gave up 206 yards rushing
  • @Jax L 40-34. Gave up 192 yards rushing
  • @Wash L 26-6. Gave up 151 yards rushing (Cowboys didn’t try to win this game because playoff seeding was decided)
  • @SF in Divisional round playoff game L 19-12. Gave up 113 yards rushing
In their 6 losses in 2022, the Cowboys averaged giving up 159 rushing yards per game.

Here are the stats for the 6 losses we had in 2023 and how many yards rushing we surrendered:

• @Ariz L 28-16. Gave up 222 yards rushing
  • @SF L 42-10. Gave up 170 yards rushing
  • @Phil L 28-23. Gave up 109 yards rushing
  • @Buff L 31-10. Gave up 266 yards rushing
  • @Mia L 22-20. Gave up 91 yards rushing
  • Vs GB in wild card playoff game. L 48-32. Gave up 143 yards rushing.
So in our 6 losses in 2023, the Cowboys averaged giving up 167 rushing yards per game. Combining the last two seasons, we average giving up 163 yards rushing per game. You cannot beat good teams when you can’t stop the run. (Quick side note: 10 of the Cowboys 12 losses the last two seasons were on the road, and our run defense was at its worst on the road)

There are lots of things we need to fix or rebuild with the Cowboys this off-season. I know many Cowboys fans who want to change QBs. I understand that. BUT…if this team does not find a way to fix its inability to stop the run, we could have Patrick Mahomes under center and we aren’t going to win a lot of playoff games.

Fixing the run defense problem is job #1 this off-season.
I think a lot of the issue starts at linebacker. We have to rank in the bottom 3rd of the league at the position.

Until that is addressed it will be rough sledding.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's common for a D that was great during the regular season to get torn up in the playoffs. KC was 11th last season and Philly was 2nd, and yet both teams got 35 or more points rung up on them. Sometimes a great O will overcome a great D and vice versa. Look at the Rams in 2019. 2nd in yards and points during the regular season, but then lost the super bowl 13-3.

It's almost like, all bets are off in the playoffs and the team that comes up w/ a way to overcome is the winner. Happens a lot.
Great point Kevin. And that’s why the fundamentals of football are still so critical to winning in the playoffs today just as they were 50 years ago.

Teams that block well, tackle well, execute their play designs consistently well under pressure and have a mental and physical toughness are the ones who win SBs. It’s hard to remember a Cowboys team in the last three decades that could check all those boxes.

kskboys

Reaction score
Great point Kevin. And that’s why the fundamentals of football are still so critical to winning in the playoffs today just as they were 50 years ago.

Teams that block well, tackle well, execute their play designs consistently well under pressure and have a mental and physical toughness are the ones who win SBs. It’s hard to remember a Cowboys team in the last three decades that could check all those boxes.
In the NFL, first, you must have the talent. We do not. As long as we continue to fill the DT and LB position w/ JAGs and injury prone guys we are simply not going to succeed in the playoffs. I understand there is more to it than that, but if you don't have the talent, none of the other matters. And we do not.

It doesn't help a DT to try really hard when he lacks the ability to anchor and is getting washed out while the opposing RBs run through the gaping holes left in his wake. I love Osa, he's just not a starter. He is a tough, gritty player who never gives up and gives full effort at all times. He simply lacks the talent to anchor. Not his fault.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good point Greg. I see the teams capable of deep playoff runs also being so mentally tough they can overcome their own mistakes, bad calls, or an injury during the game, etc.

In my opinion the Cowboys have been way too soft physically and mentally for years. At the beginning of the packers playoff game this January when I saw the Cowboys right before kickoff they looked tight, sweaty, and just flat. The packers looked loose and confident. When the packers came out and punched them in the mouth on the very first drive, the Cowboys could not counterpunch.

I can’t remember the last Cowboys team that was capable of physical domination of an opponent who was also tough and talented. Teams that are physical and tough just destroy the Cowboys.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Nope. We considered Joseph BPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Taco also. You don't get to declare all the good picks your little numnum and all the bad picks the strategy you don't like.

Honestly, the arguments about drafting need vs BPA are incredibly lame. Both must be considered, and if you use only one to draft by, then you are incredibly stupid. Wouldn't surprise me if Jerry only uses one facet to draft by, he's that dumb.
Interesting how our primary need going into the draft was CB, we missed out in the first, and just happened to have BPA in the 2nd be a CB.

I don’t think so. We were desperate and took who they thought was as best CB available, not BPA.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think the problems with run defense all start with the type of players Jerry likes to draft and coaches he likes to hire. Always looking for DEs and drafting project LBs. He doesn't like big DT with attitude. Jerry won't go out in the FA market or trade for Leonard Williams or Quinnen Williams. Jerry had a chance to draft Chris Jones instead of that LB with a shredded knee.
If they had Patrick Mahomes under center they could play more ball control offense using up the clock.
Didn't we put Mazi on a diet, to aid his pass-rush athleticism, whilst sacrificing the run stuffing bulk..

CWR

Reaction score
If he's really going all in, then we'll be signing a top flight DT soon.
Hes not. He's full of crap. He's already used the words "right FA at right price," and then elaborated on going all in on our own.

Then think about how Daks deal will drag out and we won't get relief from June 1st cuts until after most FAs are signed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree 100%. Our front office never seems to understand it’s the trenches where domination happens. I’m glad we have Cedee Lamb but those kind of guys are easier to find than a physically dominant DT who can destroy the LOS.
Yep but we have drafted DT high in recent drafts like Mazi and Trysten but both look like misses.

Throw in another 1st round bust on DL in Taco, that’s 3 of our 1st overall picks in recent drafts which at the very best underachieved.

Those kind of misses have huge impacts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In the NFL, first, you must have the talent. We do not. As long as we continue to fill the DT and LB position w/ JAGs and injury prone guys we are simply not going to succeed in the playoffs. I understand there is more to it than that, but if you don't have the talent, none of the other matters. And we do not.

It doesn't help a DT to try really hard when he lacks the ability to anchor and is getting washed out while the opposing RBs run through the gaping holes left in his wake. I love Osa, he's just not a starter. He is a tough, gritty player who never gives up and gives full effort at all times. He simply lacks the talent to anchor. Not his fault.
Yes sir!!! It’s all about the talent .

How impactful are recent misses in the draft on DL with Mazi, Trysten and Taco? What if they all hit alongside Lawrence?