A Comment By Charles Woodson Really Hits Me in the Gut

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
In this snippet he is talking about the Packers going after Nnamdi Asomugha and him moving to Safety. That is what hits me in the gut though, even though it would really make them powerful.

Woodson would move to safety for Asomugha

2/22/2011 7:33:41 AM

Charles Woodson said he would move to safety if Nnamdi Asomugha signed with the Packers as a free agent according to Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.

“I’m not doing any recruiting. We’ve texted a few times about winning a Super Bowl. Nothing really about his future I don’t know what’s going on about him and Oakland or anything else. When I look at our team and I look at young Sam (Shields) and Tramon, (I think), ‘Where’s he going to fit? How is that possibly going to work out?’ I think that would be the first question you have to ask.

“If I talked to Dom (Capers) and he thought that was the best thing for us to win another championship I would do it. This thing is about winning. If this would have been my fifth year in the league I probably would have told you hell no but at this point if that was going to get me another championship why wouldn’t I?

I can't help but wonder how many players around the league think like this because this is a business for them. Not many have the same dilemma of higher contract value for CB as opposed to Safety, But still, playing for contracts instead of championships just seems dumb to me.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Woodson's already made his money, and he comes off as someone that's been very smart about it, similar to Nnamdi Asomugha, who in my opinion literally sounds like the smartest guy in the league when he speaks.

I said before that I think the most likely destinations for Nnamdi are Green Bay or the Jets. I'll go out on another limb and make my final prediction: he goes to play for Green Bay, and for considerably less than what he's worth.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Charles Woodson also has the benefit of having made a ton of money already as a top tier CB. He can make a decision like that because he's made money and so he can afford to make a decision that's less about money, but about winning.

It doesn't mean he won't consider the money factor, but at his age and his football mortality, he's probably alot more about all about winning than when he was younger.

He's also seen how moving to safety extended the career of Rod Woodson.

Frozen700

Reaction score
He's a team player..

and is all about winning can't ask for anything more in a player

if everyone had his mentality the league would be more fun too watch......

hopefully a majority of our players share the same attitude

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Terence Newman700;3853814 said:
He's a team player..

and is all about winning can't ask for anything more in a player

if everyone had his mentality the league would be more fun too watch......

hopefully a majority of our players share the same attitude
Did you read it closely? He's saying if he were a young player, he wouldn't do it.

I'm not criticizing him for his attitude, but he's saying that he'll move only because he's made a ton of $$ and is at the end of his career.

superpunk

Reaction score
I really don't see what the problem is.

It doesn't even just have to be about money. I'm sure for most of his career, Woodson has believed that he is the most BA corner out there, and doing anything else is a waste of his talents. It's what he's used to playing, it's what he likes playing, etc. Money is no doubt also a factor since corners are a hotter commodity, but I doubt it's THE factor. If you're an athlete at that kind of level you don't think in terms of "Yeah this guy is probably a better player than me at this position why don't I switch for the benefit of the team." If you had that attitude you'd have never made it to the NFL in the first place.

Doomsay

Reaction score
There was talk of this after he had a rough start last season. He's the type of ball hawk that would be a great FS IMO.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Well he said it himself, if he was just starting out, he wouldn't do it. He'd want the money.

This stuff happens in basketball all the time, as guys get older they start chasing rings and will pretty much do anything to try and get one.

Reaction score
If Nnamdi signs with GB might as well cancel the next 3 seasons. Three of the best corners in the game on one team? Are you kidding me???

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
He's got the money and the ring, so he can afford to be "magnanimous." He'd still be a starter (albeit at a new position) and raking in the big bucks, so how big of a sacrifice would he really be making?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Fan;3853913 said:
If Nnamdi signs with GB might as well cancel the next 3 seasons. Three of the best corners in the game on one team? Are you kidding me???

:rolleyes:

burmafrd

Reaction score
whoopie- if Rogers gets hurt you will see how fast that changes.
Second, no way GB will tie up that much of their cap in any other player except Rodgers. Ties your hands way too much. Ask Indy about that.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;3853922 said:
He's got the money and the ring, so he can afford to be "magnanimous." He'd still be a starter (albeit at a new position) and raking in the big bucks, so how big of a sacrifice would he really be making?

Exactly! He's a veteran player who has gotten his money and a ring.

Younger players want their money more than a ring, but veterans have their money so each year, they want a ring especially as off-seasons, training camp and seasons get tougher on their bodies.

-Reality

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
He ain't no Pete Hunter..............

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
bbgun;3853922 said:
plus one

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
superpunk;3853818 said:
It doesn't even just have to be about money. I'm sure for most of his career, Woodson has believed that he is the most BA corner out there, and doing anything else is a waste of his talents. It's what he's used to playing, it's what he likes playing, etc. Money is no doubt also a factor since corners are a hotter commodity, but I doubt it's THE factor. If you're an athlete at that kind of level you don't think in terms of "Yeah this guy is probably a better player than me at this position why don't I switch for the benefit of the team." If you had that attitude you'd have never made it to the NFL in the first place.

Exactly.

CB is a prestige position -- only the baddest mofo athletes get to play it. Moving to safety is or would be kind of a shot. No wonder he wouldn't want to do it.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
So basically, without realizing it, he's just said to all the younf players on his team, "if you're yound still, worry more about your next contract than winning yournext championship". Yeah, great team player there. I hope he's not the first to compalin about a lack of team chemistry if any young Packers players take his advice.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Fan;3853913 said:

^^^^This^^^^