CFZ A Cowboys Version of Chat-GPT. Ask Anything About 2022 Cowboys

12+88=7

Reaction score
If Prescott doesn't throw two interceptions against SF, does Dallas win?

T-RO

Reaction score
Whoa, you can see into the future!?

For each combination of offensive linemen, what was the average running play gain and the average passing play gain?
-Jason Peters played 12 games (3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17). He typically played around 30% of snaps, but played 100% of game 17.
-Biadasz, Martin and Tyler Smith played virtually every down through the season, except very late in a few blowout games. Biadasz was held out of the final Washington game.
-The biggest gap is seen in games where Steele was out - fully or mostly, due to his ACL. This includes much of game 13 and all games afterwards.

Now to some juicy stuff:

Games with Steele
3.4 yards per rush
7.0 yards per pass

Games without Steele:
4.8 yards per rush
7.0 yards per pass (no difference)

T-RO

Reaction score
Interesting, on that question, do these figures differentiate between Sam's results after playing all three downs as opposed to coming in for 3rd down pass-rush.
- Dallas achieved 19 of it's 54 sacks on third down (35%)*
- Sam Williams achieved 1 of his 4 sacks on third down (25%)

*Commentary: This surprised me. I would have thought close to half the sacks would have come on third down.

T-RO

Reaction score
Query: Was Pollard more effective than Zeke running up the middle?
This answer will be limited and not completely reliable. Play summaries do not record if a play started up the middle but then broke outside.

However if we limit this to plays that are run over center or guard...here are the stats.
Pollard: 71 carries, 373 yards, 5.3 YPC
Elliott: 107 carries, 369 yards, 3.4 YPC

Commentary: It is a fallacy that Pollard is just an outside runner. Dallas deploys him on most all types of runs, and he seems to do well at all of them.

Tony had 13 inside runs that broke for 10 yards or more. Four of them in the Packers game alone.

T-RO

Reaction score
Now to some juicy stuff:

Games with Steele
3.4 yards per rush
7.0 yards per pass

Games without Steele:
4.8 yards per rush
Oops! 10 minutes passed and I couldn't correct this. It's this:

Games with Steele
4.8 yards per rush
7.0 yards per pass

Games without Steele:
3.4 yards per rush

T-RO

Reaction score
Please provide Dak’s passer rating by receiver. Thanks in advance.
Think I can work that up later. In the meantime:

Plays where Dallas receivers were interfered with, resulting in penalty against Dallas opponent and hidden yards gained:

CeeDee Lamb
2 interference penalties provoked, for 38 yards

Dalton Schultz
1 penalty provoked, for 9 yards

Noah Brown
3 penalties provoked, for 67 yards

Michael Gallup
1 penalty provoked, for 51 yards

*not counting defensive holds to pass catchers. Only interference penalties.

Commentary: This surprised me, though it's a small sample size. I guess that Brown as a much bigger guy, created moments where defenders were only able to disrupt by banging and hanging.

T-RO

Reaction score

T-RO

Reaction score
Please provide Dak’s passer rating by receiver. Thanks in advance.

Dak Prescott 2022 QB Rating per Targeted Receiver

Ceedee Lamb, 111.8 QBR
75-103, 953 Yards, 9.3 Yards per Attempt 7 TDs 3 INT

Dalton Schultz, 81.2 QBR
52-78, 541 Yards, 6.9 Yards Per Attempt, 5 TDs, 5 INT

Michael Gallup, 73.8 QBR
31-58, 338 Yards, 5.8 Yards Per Attempt, 3 TDs, 2 INT

Noah Brown, 51.25 QBR
26-50, 310 yards, 6.2 Yards Per Attempt, 2 TDs, 4 INT

Tony Pollard, 122.5 QBR
31-40, 296 yards, 7.4 Yards Per Attempt, 3 TDs, 0 INT

Ezekiel Elliott, 82.03 QBR
12-16, 67 yards, 4.2 Yards Per Attempt, 0 TDs, 0 INT

Jake Ferguson, 132.2 QBR
11-11, 93 yards, 8.5 Yards Per Attempt , 1 TD, 0 INT

T.Y. Hilton, 110.83 QBR
7-10, 121 yards, 12.1 Yards Per Attempt, 0 TDs, 0 INT,

Peyton Hendershot, 83.33 QBR
4-6, 37 yards, 6.2 Yards Per Attempt 2 TDs, 1 INT

Others Ignored (Fehoko, Washington, Davis, Turpin, Tolbert)

If anyone is fact-checking my numbers, remember: these stats exclude Cooper Rush passes.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Time to share a little secret. I'm a database developer and I have a database containing every play of every game of the 2023 Cowboys. There's that, and more in my data collection.

Most of what I offer is destined to soon get replaced by AI, so I might as well enjoy a short season of usefulness. Maybe a couple stray likes and nice comments.

Here's a game we can play to pass some time during this dull period prior to training camp:
You ask a thoughtful interesting question, and I'll try to answer from the data I have collected. The catch? I get to provide my commentary with any answer. The other catch? I ignore questions I don't like, for any reason.

I'll provide some example questions to help you get the idea. One here...more late Wednesday.

Example Question #1

Question: If Sam Williams played as many defensive snaps as DeMarcus Lawrence who would have generated the most sacks?

Answer: Williams generated 4 sacks on 273 snaps. Lawrence generated 6 snaps on 697 snaps.

Had Williams played as many snaps as Lawrence (at the same production per play) he would have produced 10.2 sacks.

Sam Williams, had he played as many defensive snaps, projects to produce 4.2 more sacks, a 70% increase.

Commentary: The Cowboys appreciated that Williams was a rookie with numerous maturity issues, evidenced both in college and on Dallas streets during his rookie season. They gave Williams 245 special teams snaps (Lawrence had none), plus a part time role in the defense. Also Lawrence offered more as a run defender (68.2 PFF > William's tepid 61.3) and as a mature, seasoned leader.

It's likely that if Williams applies himself to his trade he can well surpass Lawrence in 2023 as a pass rush threat. The questions will continue for now about Williams ability to manage himself, on--and off--the field.
Sounds like you’re just using ChatGPT or Bard.

offlimits

Reaction score
Time to share a little secret. I'm a database developer and I have a database containing every play of every game of the 2023 Cowboys. There's that, and more in my data collection.

Most of what I offer is destined to soon get replaced by AI, so I might as well enjoy a short season of usefulness. Maybe a couple stray likes and nice comments.

Here's a game we can play to pass some time during this dull period prior to training camp:
You ask a thoughtful interesting question, and I'll try to answer from the data I have collected. The catch? I get to provide my commentary with any answer. The other catch? I ignore questions I don't like, for any reason.

I'll provide some example questions to help you get the idea. One here...more late Wednesday.

Example Question #1

Question: If Sam Williams played as many defensive snaps as DeMarcus Lawrence who would have generated the most sacks?

Answer: Williams generated 4 sacks on 273 snaps. Lawrence generated 6 snaps on 697 snaps.

Had Williams played as many snaps as Lawrence (at the same production per play) he would have produced 10.2 sacks.

Sam Williams, had he played as many defensive snaps, projects to produce 4.2 more sacks, a 70% increase.

Commentary: The Cowboys appreciated that Williams was a rookie with numerous maturity issues, evidenced both in college and on Dallas streets during his rookie season. They gave Williams 245 special teams snaps (Lawrence had none), plus a part time role in the defense. Also Lawrence offered more as a run defender (68.2 PFF > William's tepid 61.3) and as a mature, seasoned leader.

It's likely that if Williams applies himself to his trade he can well surpass Lawrence in 2023 as a pass rush threat. The questions will continue for now about Williams ability to manage himself, on--and off--the field.
Funny. You will be replaced by AI in 5 years. I am also in the biz. What's your backup career?

coult44

Reaction score

Example Question #1

You got people in here thinking you created something. Ask AI is hella fun to talk to about the Cowboys and I’ve been hooked since the day it came out. If you word the questions right, you will get 100% real answers

T-RO

Reaction score
You got people in here thinking you created something. Ask AI is hella fun to talk to about the Cowboys and I’ve been hooked since the day it came out. If you word the questions right, you will get 100% real answers
I sure am not using AI for this. And I won't be able to compete with AI as it grows. I still gotta use use my mind here and put lotta time in.

If you got some sample questions you've asked, with that system's answers...feel free to post.

Here's a small snippet of one of the screens in my database. There are currently 72 fields in this table. There are other tables. And I continue to add to it...tweak it.... I'm sure it pales in comparison to what PFF has, or the various teams have in their analytics dept. They could run circles around me.

my_db.png

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
QUESTION: I'm throwing in my eye test theory.....is there a way of differentiating Dak's QB Rating when Dallas are level (or in the lead) as opposed to being behind (especially by 7 or more pts)?

T-RO

Reaction score
QUESTION: Is there a way of working out Dak's rating in the 4th Q (as opposed to 1-3). Cheers
FYI...I have 392 Dak passes in my database, two less than official stats. I think this discrepancy is due to where I might not have always properly parsed how penalties either cancelled a play or were added yardage. Still doing some scrubs and cross checking.

Now on to answering your question, as best I currently can.

1st, 2nd, 3rd Quarter Dak Prescott Passing: 89.6 QB Rating
201-305, 66% completion, 2,164 yards, 7.1 yards per pass, 19 TD, 13 INT

4th Quarter Dak Prescott Passing: 108.3 QB Rating
54-80, 67.5% completion, 659 yards, 8.2 yards per pass, 4 TD, 1 INT

Overtime Dak Prescott Passing: 22.02 QB Rating (worthlessly small sample size)
3-7, 43% completion, 40 yards, 5.7 yards per pass, 0 TD, 1, INT

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
QUESTION: I'm throwing in my eye test theory.....is there a way of differentiating Dak's QB Rating when Dallas are level (or in the lead) as opposed to being behind (especially by 7 or more pts)?
Got you 1 of your 2 requests. If you are still interested in the other, you can remind me this weekend.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
FYI...I have 392 Dak passes in my database, two less than official stats. I think this discrepancy is due to where I might not have always properly parsed how penalties either cancelled a play or were added yardage. Still doing some scrubs and cross checking.

Now on to answering your question, with my good, not perfect data.

1st, 2nd, 3rd Quarter Dak Prescott Passing: 86.6 QB Rating
201-305, 66% completion, 2,164 yards, 7.1 yards per pass, 19 TD, 13 INT

4th Quarter Dak Prescott Passing: 108.3 QB Rating
54-80, 67.5% completion, 659 yards, 8.2 yards per pass, 4 TD, 1 INT

Overtime Dak Prescott Passing: 22.02 QB Rating (worthlessly small sample size)
3-7, 43% completion, 40 yards, 5.7 yards per pass, 0 TD, 1, INT
Cheers, interesting that the base figures indicate he's a better/more accurate QB in the 4th Q. The follow up question (i'll re-post on the weekend as suggested) how do those figures translate differentiating between 'come backs' or when leading.

Is it easier for you if we start new threads to discuss the stats on each question?

T-RO

Reaction score
Is it easier for you if we start new threads to discuss the stats on each question?
Let's try to keep most stuff here. But if you have a theory you want to discuss/debate that includes some of the data, feel free to run with it and start a thread. :)

Last edited: