A double standard

a_minimalist

Reaction score
MonsterD;4922272 said:
I have no idea what kind of mentality the women have where you work, but I have worked at a store where 70% of the employees were female. The women at that place just worked together in tandem and used the appropriate equipment to lift and move heavy things. Also there were women who specifically asked to be stock workers who were fine with physical labor, of course the were about 6' plus and 200lbs, but they had no problems either.

I think the stock staff or the equipment should have been used and everyone perpetuated the "only this big guy can do that work" attitude there.

I've worked with plenty of women who try to do the heavy lifting. 9 times out of 10 I take over since it's easier for me. They NEVER expected me to though. This women do and stand around yapping while info all of the grunt work.

basstapp

Reaction score
I think there might be a clause in your job description that states "other duties as assigned".

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4922319 said:
I've worked with plenty of women who try to do the heavy lifting. 9 times out of 10 I take over since it's easier for me. They NEVER expected me to though. This women do and stand around yapping while info all of the grunt work.

The woman that I work with pulls this crap on me all the time, but since I work from home and she is my wife she usually gets away with it :laugh2:

JBond

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4922029 said:
I work with basically all women at my job. They give me all of the heavy lifting and manual labor because I am a man. The manager actually said exactly that today. Am I the only one who sees a double standard here? If it was all men and one women and they made her clean because she is a woman a lawsuit would be filed in a split second.

Luckily, I'm leaving this part-time job since I finally found a full-time gig but even though I'm leaving in a week, the principle still bothers me. Am I the only one who sees a double standard here? If I was a woman and they were men it would be a case of sexism, no?

Do they at least make you lunch each day? A damn sandwich should not be too hard for them. Make them earn their keep.;)

arglebargle

Reaction score
Just wait til you blowout your L5 disc, you'll wish you could do all that heavy lifting again! After my back went out, I remember getting this one doctor's advice: 'You are going to have to learn how to say 'No.''

On a mild counterpoint, years ago I went into an entry level job, with the strong majority of co-workers being women. As soon as I got there they told me that I wouldn't have to worry about learning the position, as 'All the men got promoted out real quickly....'

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Faerluna;4922367 said:
You have a lot of issues with the ladies, my friend. ;)

Based off of two topics I've posted on here?

If that's the case then you have a lot of issues with men telling it how it is. ;)

a_minimalist

Reaction score
arglebargle;4922402 said:
Just wait til you blowout your L5 disc, you'll wish you could do all that heavy lifting again! After my back went out, I remember getting this one doctor's advice: 'You are going to have to learn how to say 'No.''

On a mild counterpoint, years ago I went into an entry level job, with the strong majority of co-workers being women. As soon as I got there they told me that I wouldn't have to worry about learning the position, as 'All the men got promoted out real quickly....'

I think if I blew out my back I'd be pissed I was doing all of the grunt work. Again though, it's back to the corporate world in a week. I just find it funny how women can get away things men would be fired and chastised over.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It probably has less to do with the fact that you're a man, and more to do with the fact that you're just stronger than them. It's more efficient for one person to do a job, than two.

I'm 5'11" and 280+ lbs...its annoying but I understand why everyone asks me to lift their crap :laugh2:

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Future;4922576 said:
It probably has less to do with the fact that you're a man, and more to do with the fact that you're just stronger than them. It's more efficient for one person to do a job, than two.

I'm 5'11" and 280+ lbs...its annoying but I understand why everyone asks me to lift their crap :laugh2:

I honestly have no problem doing the work. The problem comes when it's expected of me. I'm the workhouse and I have the tasks expected of everyone that shares the same title as me and then the tasks that they give me because I'm a man. We all get paid the same and have the exact same title. As mentioned earlier, this is a seasonal retail job. The boxes aren't that heavy. The majority are below 15lbs. If I knew they would struggle lifting something that is actually heavy I would without a doubt lift it for them and tell them to let me do it. I would never ever have a problem with that. I'm not that much of an ***. This is different. This comes down to pure laziness on their part. They are more than capable.

Life goes on though.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Women wanted to be paid like men, they WANT to be treated like women. IS that all women, no, is that the majority, ask around and find out.

for me its the same way, actually just to piss the men off at my old sight, the company demanded a female at every location BUT only the men had the hard jobs, while the females got the desk job.

as you can also see, per being equal you can see the equality as women passed on office jobs for the manual jobs to show men they are equal.

and to prove my point, someone had said to be "how can you say that about women, there is a woman right now working with the road crew" so i shocked my friend and went to talk the head person of the crew and he said "the woman will be placed to direct traffic" to which i laughed, and than to show my friend the difference of whats expected of a man and a woman, we went and asked by the woman took the job, and she replied it was the only job opened to her at the time. SO while working on the line crew of the company, her job was to direct traffic while the men had to do the labor. To which i tell men, welcome to equality.

We are all equal people, just some are more equal than others.

Shunpike

Reaction score
This is definitely a double standard and you are right to complain. But those double standards work in our favor time to time.

A man sleeps with lots of girls, bangs them left and right and he is called Casanova. A woman does it and she is instantly a *****. Such is life.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
ShiningStar;4922604 said:
Women wanted to be paid like men, they WANT to be treated like women. IS that all women, no, is that the majority, ask around and find out.

for me its the same way, actually just to piss the men off at my old sight, the company demanded a female at every location BUT only the men had the hard jobs, while the females got the desk job.

as you can also see, per being equal you can see the equality as women passed on office jobs for the manual jobs to show men they are equal.

and to prove my point, someone had said to be "how can you say that about women, there is a woman right now working with the road crew" so i shocked my friend and went to talk the head person of the crew and he said "the woman will be placed to direct traffic" to which i laughed, and than to show my friend the difference of whats expected of a man and a woman, we went and asked by the woman took the job, and she replied it was the only job opened to her at the time. SO while working on the line crew of the company, her job was to direct traffic while the men had to do the labor. To which i tell men, welcome to equality.

We are all equal people, just some are more equal than others.

Be careful, you might be told you have an issue with women for saying that!

ShiningStar

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4922617 said:
Be careful, you might be told you have an issue with women for saying that!

you know it, i cleaned out my mail box. thanks for speaking your mind brother

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Shunpike;4922616 said:
This is definitely a double standard and you are right to complain. But those double standards work in our favor time to time.

A man sleeps with lots of girls, bangs them left and right and he is called Casanova. A woman does it and she is instantly a *****. Such is life.

i havent seen that in a few years lately. in fact ive heard and seen different things now a days. so that doesnt fly either.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Shunpike;4922616 said:

I love ******.

DFWJC

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4922029 said:
I work with basically all women at my job. They give me all of the heavy lifting and manual labor because I am a man. The manager actually said exactly that today. Am I the only one who sees a double standard here? If it was all men and one women and they made her clean because she is a woman a lawsuit would be filed in a split second.

Luckily, I'm leaving this part-time job since I finally found a full-time gig but even though I'm leaving in a week, the principle still bothers me. Am I the only one who sees a double standard here? If I was a woman and they were men it would be a case of sexism, no?
Many , many double standards in the workplace and out.

Quanity of hours worked, sick days used, and personal days off differencial (on average) between men and women is gigantic.
Pay gap has decreased dramatically but is still there in some cases. But in many (not all) cases it should be there, because of what I just said.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IAMKING;4922040 said:
Of course if it was the other way lawsuits would be filed but you're a man suck it up

This is my take. If you're the best person to do it, then just do it and don't complain about it. It doesn't have to be fair. They're paying you for your effort, so do whatever you can to help out wherever you can help out. And don't expect a ribbon for it.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Idgit;4922750 said:
This is my take. If you're the best person to do it, then just do it and don't complain about it. It doesn't have to be fair. They're paying you for your effort, so do whatever you can to help out wherever you can help out. And don't expect a ribbon for it.

But I want a ribbon.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
a_minimalist;4922763 said:
But I want a ribbon.

:)

I didn't meant to imply you wanted the ribbon, in particular. I just meant, generally, employees should just try to be helpful where they can as part of a hard day's work. But then, I'm on the employer side of the equation, so my opinion's admittedly biased.