A double standard

ShiningStar

Reaction score
if the ribbon doesnt come in certain colors can we say they are being racist?

Hoov

Reaction score
I just dont think it is so black and white and here is why.

Im for women being able to evolve more and more into the workplace - there are more women in congress now then ever before and i think its a good thing.

I would vote for a female president if i thought she was the best candidate.

At the same time im fairly traditional with certain roles. I dont want my girlfriend or my daughter to take out the trash or lift heavy things around the house or do construction projects unassisted.

I dont mind doing laundry and i like to iron my own clothing because im very particular about how my shirts and pants look.

I hate cooking, I have no interest in cooking at all. I tell my daughter thats womens work (jokingly) and she gets mad. Fortunately for me my girlfriend likes to cook and i can tell you i dont think i would not get serioulsy involved with a woman that does not like to cook because one of us has to do it and its not going to be me.

I also don't like general household chores (I mean do general cleaning such as running the vaccuum, putting everything away, cleaning the bathroom etc.) But i dont like a cluttered place or any dust on the floor or anywhere else i can see. Im not a messy person and clutter bothers me alot. In fact its a bit of a problem when i try to clean because i go overboard and can spend an hour fixating on one little area like im sterilizing the place. So its much better for me to allow someone else to do those types of things.

So as a traditionalist and somewhat sexist....i do feel that there are certain things that I being the Man should do and certain things i would expect a women to do.

But at the same time i do believe that women should be venturing out more and more into the workplace and see nothing wrong with a female being the CEO of a major corporation or an Administrator, etc. and they should receive equal pay if they are qualified for the job !! But still, if i saw a woman in the workplace bend over to lift a heavy object no matter what her job title is, i would feel inclined to run over and get it for her.

And of course if a woman takes on a high power job or any job working 40 hours a week she is not going to have so much time left for doing certain things in the home and adjustments need to be made and that is only being rational and realistic. You cant expect your wife to work 40 hours a week and cook a great meal every night and clean the entire house and do laundry on the weekends, its too much.

Still, when time constraints allow and other factors are accounted for....there are certain things that tend to fall into the motherly or nurturing category and I think women should still embrace those types of things and there are certain things that fall into the protector or fatherly role and men should continue to embrace those things without complaining about it.

I will always expect that men should do the more rugged and brawny type of work and that women should be nurturing to some degree and that includes getting a cup of coffee for your man when he comes down in the morning or making a nice meal and serving it when you have time. Even if we have dinner delivered from chineese takkeout, my girlfriend will get the food and put it onto plates, ask me what i want to drink, set the table or set it up in the living room and serve the meal and make it a nice experience.

So, in that way I am a sexist - but i also think that any woman should feel that the sky is the limit as far as career occupations are concerned and what she can accomplish.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Idgit;4922766 said:
:)

I didn't meant to imply you wanted the ribbon, in particular. I just meant, generally, employees should just try to be helpful where they can as part of a hard day's work. But then, I'm on the employer side of the equation, so my opinion's admittedly biased.

Well maybe I should keep my mouth shut then since I have every intention of starting my own business very soon. The point of my post was really to find out if we do live in strange times. From what people are saying, we do.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Hoov;4922784 said:
I just dont think it is so black and white and here is why.

Im for women being able to evolve more and more into the workplace - there are more women in congress now then ever before and i think its a good thing.

I would vote for a female president if i thought she was the best candidate.

At the same time im fairly traditional with certain roles. I dont want my girlfriend or my daughter to take out the trash or lift heavy things around the house or do construction projects unassisted.

I dont mind doing laundry and i like to iron my own clothing because im very particular about how my shirts and pants look.

I hate cooking, I have no interest in cooking at all. I tell my daughter thats womens work (jokingly) and she gets mad. Fortunately for me my girlfriend likes to cook and i can tell you i dont think i would not get serioulsy involved with a woman that does not like to cook because one of us has to do it and its not going to be me.

I also don't like general household chores (I mean do general cleaning such as running the vaccuum, putting everything away, cleaning the bathroom etc.) But i dont like a cluttered place or any dust on the floor or anywhere else i can see. Im not a messy person and clutter bothers me alot. In fact its a bit of a problem when i try to clean because i go overboard and can spend an hour fixating on one little area like im sterilizing the place. So its much better for me to allow someone else to do those types of things.

So as a traditionalist and somewhat sexist....i do feel that there are certain things that I being the Man should do and certain things i would expect a women to do.

But at the same time i do believe that women should be venturing out more and more into the workplace and see nothing wrong with a female being the CEO of a major corporation or an Administrator, etc. and they should receive equal pay if they are qualified for the job !! But still, if i saw a woman in the workplace bend over to lift a heavy object no matter what her job title is, i would feel inclined to run over and get it for her.

And of course if a woman takes on a high power job or any job working 40 hours a week she is not going to have so much time left for doing certain things in the home and adjustments need to be made and that is only being rational and realistic. You cant expect your wife to work 40 hours a week and cook a great meal every night and clean the entire house and do laundry on the weekends, its too much.

Still, when time constraints allow and other factors are accounted for....there are certain things that tend to fall into the motherly or nurturing category and I think women should still embrace those types of things and there are certain things that fall into the protector or fatherly role and men should continue to embrace those things without complaining about it.

I will always expect that men should do the more rugged and brawny type of work and that women should be nurturing to some degree and that includes getting a cup of coffee for your man when he comes down in the morning or making a nice meal and serving it when you have time. Even if we have dinner delivered from chineese takkeout, my girlfriend will get the food and put it onto plates, ask me what i want to drink, set the table or set it up in the living room and serve the meal and make it a nice experience.

So, in that way I am a sexist - but i also think that any woman should feel that the sky is the limit as far as career occupations are concerned and what she can accomplish.

I don't think anyone, including myself, is saying women shouldn't reach for the stars. I see no problem with a women having any title that would be available as a man as long as she does the work expected of every man who holds that title. I don't understand why exceptions should be made for women but not men. Especially if they are fully capable of the work. You can't pick and choose what stereotypes you want applied to you. It's either all or none.

I would love to see a women become president if she is the best candidate. Sex doesn't mean anything to me. It's when gender roles are applied to men in the workplace and not women that it starts to bother me a bit.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4922791 said:
Well maybe I should keep my mouth shut then since I have every intention of starting my own business very soon. The point of my post was really to find out if we do live in strange times. From what people are saying, we do.

we do the difference of the argument is we just wont admit it. i have started admitting it a long time ago, if you join me, you'll see nothings changed, but you re happier.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4922799 said:
I don't think anyone, including myself, is saying women shouldn't reach for the stars. I see no problem with a women having any title that would be available as a man as long as she does the work expected of every man who holds that title. I don't understand why exceptions should be made for women but not men. Especially if they are fully capable of the work. You can't pick and choose what stereotypes you want applied to you. It's either all or none.

I would love to see a women become president if she is the best candidate. Sex doesn't mean anything to me. It's when gender roles are applied to men in the workplace and not women that it starts to bother me a bit.

using that brain i see, not good my man not good. :D

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Don't get caught up in all the political "equal pay for equal work" nonsense. Just worry about yourself. Don't worry about what the other workers are doing, it's none of your concern. The only thing that matters is if you feel your compensation is worth it for the work you do. Do you think the work is worth what they are paying you? If not, ask for more. If they say no, then decide if you still want to work there for the rest of the season.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;4922910 said:
Don't get caught up in all the political "equal pay for equal work" nonsense. Just worry about yourself. Don't worry about what the other workers are doing, it's none of your concern. The only thing that matters is if you feel your compensation is worth it for the work you do. Do you think the work is worth what they are paying you? If not, ask for more. If they say no, then decide if you still want to work there for the rest of the season.

Oh I'm not going to. This was the first time I ever experienced something so blatant though. I believe in exactly what you said in your first few sentences. I'm just not blind, that's all.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4922617 said:
Be careful, you might be told you have an issue with women for saying that!

Don't get your knickers in a twist now. You're just the only person that I can recall, in all the years I've been a part of this forum, to make 2 threads in a matter of months on the topics of feminism and gender bias in the workplace.

Reap the jibes you sow, pal.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Faerluna;4923033 said:
Don't get your knickers in a twist now. You're just the only person that I can recall, in all the years I've been a part of this forum, to make 2 threads in a matter of months on the topics of feminism and gender bias in the workplace.

Reap the jibes you sow, pal.

Lol clever attempt to make a sarcastic comment I made appear to be some sort of emotional response. You failed pretty miserably though since the comment isn't even remotely close to an indication that my "knickers are in a twist."

By the way, look at all of the other topics I've started. Two out of at least a hundred have been about feminism and a clear gender bias in the workplace. You have no point in this. All you've brought are personal attacks since what I'm saying goes against your ancient and precious feminism movement.

It would appear that your "knickers" are actually the ones in a twist. Does the truth hurt you that much?

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4923063 said:
Lol clever attempt to make a sarcastic comment I made appear to be some sort of emotional response. You failed pretty miserably though since the comment isn't even remotely close to an indication that my "knickers are in a twist."

By the way, look at all of the other topics I've started. Two out of at least a hundred have been about feminism and a clear gender bias in the workplace. You have no point in this. All you've brought are personal attacks since what I'm saying goes against your ancient and precious feminism movement.

It would appear that your "knickers" are actually the ones in a twist. Does the truth hurt you that much?

I honestly don't get worked up over much of anything, especially anything that is said on here, by anyone on here. I truly couldn't care less about your other posts, I was just having a little fun with the subject of these particular posts about women.

Most of the men on here are more concerned with T&A rather than how butthurt they get when they have to lift heavy boxes or pens marketed for women, so I was having a little fun with it.

Get over yourself and learn how to take a joke. When it's a personal attack from me, you'll definitely know it.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Faerluna;4923088 said:
I honestly don't get worked up over much of anything, especially anything that is said on here, by anyone on here. I truly couldn't care less about your other posts, I was just having a little fun with the subject of these particular posts about women.

Most of the men on here are more concerned with T&A rather than how butthurt they get when they have to lift heavy boxes or pens marketed for women, so I was having a little fun with it.

Get over yourself and learn how to take a joke. When it's a personal attack from me, you'll definitely know it.

You're just making things up now so I'll acquiesce and call it a night. :D