A Fans Take on Romo "Chokes"

ghst187

Reaction score
Except it isn't, because since 2011, HE HAS THE MOST COMEBACK WINS IN THE NFL.

Good lord. I don't know how much longer I can keep coming here.

It just keeps getting worse.

well let's see....are you counting comeback wins that we had to come back from because he threw picks that got us behind in the first place?
I'm not sure what happened with Romo....earlier in his starting QB career he was more clutch than err....
I'm not sure if he had the arm strength then to force some passes that he just can't do anymore and is still throwing them or what.
I would agree that the HC is partly to blame and I think if Parcells was still here we'd probably be sitting at 10-4 or better because he managed games AND ROMO well and knew that he had to. Some may also be on the offensive coordinator for continuing to have the WRs run option routes late in games that end up being intercepted because a WR didn't do his job or stopped on a route or something else stupid. And sure, we could play safer if we had any confidence whatsoever that the defense could force a punt EVER in the second half of a game.
But I'd still say the bulk of the failure is on Romo. The Wash game at the end of last year, the Denver game this year, the first pick in the GB game last week, just to name a few...those were horrible reads and terrible decisions in the games' most critical moments.
Now do I think we could win and make playoff noise with Romo starting if we had a competent HC, DC, and defense...sure, average QBs have won a lot of SBs....(Eli has 2x, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, heck Flacco isn't exactly elite either). But Romo is not elite, he's not in the class of a Brees, Peyton, Rodgers, or Brady. Romo is not going to consistently win us games (largely why we're .500 every year, he'll win us a few and lose us quite a few) and we can't keep hinging our hopes that he will save us because its not in him to do so on a regular basis.
I've always been a big fan of Romo because he seems like a classy, underdog, humble kind of guy that we should all hope has big success, esp playing for our beloved Boys. However, for us to keep putting him in position and relying on him as if he is an elite QB, results in much lamenting and our consistent .500 plight.
I have to say, I think Alex Smith is a great comparison...is Romo more talented than Smith? I tend to think he is a bit....however, Smith's two teams were able to win a lot of games and one went deep into the playoffs with him because they didn't hang him out there every week and hope he suddenly becomes an elite QB (as we do with Romo). Smith's 49er team (under Harbaugh) and his current KC team are so superiorly coached compared to ours, both HC and DC, that they have won big with him because those guys manage the games well and know they must manage him a bit, because like Romo, Smith is not elite. Smith's team and (former and current) know that handing the ball off 3x in a row, melting the clock, and punting is sometimes the best thing to do. JG hasn't figured out even the basics of HC'ing. He's as outmatched as a HC as Dave Campo was.
Essentially, as long as our coaches keep hanging Romo out in the wind, Romo's going to make crucial, game altering mistakes (to borrow someone's phrase from earlier...like death and taxes). Sure he'll win us a few, but he'll lose us a lot too.
Fix the HC and the DC/Defense...and I think Romo's crunchtime mistakes will start vanishing.

but feel free to stop coming here...

perrykemp

Reaction score
Brett Favre was overrated. Romo is a lot like him without the cannon arm. Favre could have won a lot more superbowls if he wasn't such a gunslinger.

I strongly disagree with you that Favre was overrated and I strongly agree with you that if Favre could have controlled his impulses and been less of a gunslinger he had the potential to go down as one of the absolute greatest (as in top 2-3) QBs ever.

morasp

Reaction score
His accuracy has been off the last few games and it's cost us.