A Fantasy to Pass the Time

plasticman

Reaction score
A press conference is scheduled..

Both Jerry and Stephen are there. Jerry announces that his doctor adamantly recommends retirement. His age and related health issues are beginning to wear him down. His entire family is deeply concerned. He hands the reigns over to Stephen.

Stephen reports that he is taking the owner position but will not be the GM. He wants to focus on the marketing and sales aspect. His only participation in football related matters will be from the financial end which basically involves only signing the checks.

The salary cap will be the domain of the GM. He explains that he has begun to form a committee of 5-7 prominent players, coaches and scouts that have affiliations with the Cowboys, past or present. They will decide on the very best and most qualified candidate for the position.

The committee might include players like Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach, or Calvin Hill. The coaches might include Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells. They will look at dozens of candidates until they come to a general consensus on who that GM should be.

Who would you like to see as the next Cowboys GM?

My choice would be former Cowboy Daryl Johnston who is the current president of football operations for the USFL. He is extremely intelligent and sets a high standard.

Johnston was selected in the 2md round of the 1989 draft, the same that netted Troy Aikman, Tony Tolbert, and Mark Stepnoski.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Both Jerry and Stephen are there. Jerry announces that his doctor adamantly recommends retirement. His age and related health issues are beginning to wear him down. His entire family is deeply concerned. He hands the reigns over to Stephen.

Stephen reports that he is taking the owner position but will not be the GM. He wants to focus on the marketing and sales aspect. His only participation in football related matters will be from the financial end which basically involves only signing the checks.

The salary cap will be the domain of the GM. He explains that he has begun to form a committee of 5-7 prominent players, coaches and scouts that have affiliations with the Cowboys, past or present. They will decide on the very best and most qualified candidate for the position.

The committee might include players like Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach, or Calvin Hill. The coaches might include Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells. They will look at dozens of candidates until they come to a general consensus on who that GM should be.

My choice would be former Cowboy Daryl Johnston who is the current president of football operations for the USFL. He is extremely intelligent and sets a high standard.

Johnston was selected in the 2md round of the 1989 draft, the same that netted Troy Aikman, Tony Tolbert, and Mark Stepnoski.
A committee...that would make things worse...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Stephen has had the reins for multiple years.

Jerry Jr. and Charlotte are in charge of everything else.

Jerry just retains 1st dibs on any camera or radio time...

Chasing6

Reaction score
C'mon guys it says FANTASY, get with the program, and play along.

I need to think about this one, but putting Jr in as owner focusing on marketing and sales is definitely the wrong seat on the bus for him.

Now I could see Deion in Sales and Marketing.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I want Michael Irvin to be the HC. Nate Newton to be the GM. He’ll get refrigerators at every position.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I want Michael Irvin to be the HC. Nate Newton to be the GM. He’ll get refrigerators at every position.
I am thinking Jason Witten needs to be in a key role somewhere. I could see him as a GM or Head Coach.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen has had the reins for multiple years.

Jerry Jr. and Charlotte are in charge of everything else.

Jerry just retains 1st dibs on any camera or radio time...
X I’ve seen you post this many times about Stephen “taking the reins”. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but what is your source on this?

I’ve never seen anything publicly said that “Stephen Jones is running everything now.” I have seen Jerry very recently say “he’s still making all final decisions.” Again, you may be correct about SJ, but I’ve never seen that in writing anywhere. Do you have a source on that?

Secondly, is Stephen Jones someone we should feel a whole lot better about running everything? Obviously the Cowboys have done better drafting the last decade, they have made some occasional good moves, so it isn’t all bad. But we still have to come to this team’s three decades of failure in the playoffs.

Sincere question- If SJones is the guy fully in charge, why is that better?