A Fantasy to Pass the Time

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah as if SF is hiring players from their 90s teams to fix current problems.

They have lapped us several times on rebuilds.

It’s beyond embarrassing and into some sort of sick joke range with these two already.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Jerry announces Mickey Spagnola will be taking over the GM duties... at that point I usually wake up screaming.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yeah as if SF is hiring players from their 90s teams to fix current problems.

They have lapped us several times on rebuilds.

It’s beyond embarrassing and into some sort of sick joke range with these two already.
What part of Fantasy would you like me to translate for you?

RoboQB

Reaction score
X I’ve seen you post this many times about Stephen “taking the reins”. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but what is your source on this?

I’ve never seen anything publicly said that “Stephen Jones is running everything now.” I have seen Jerry very recently say “he’s still making all final decisions.” Again, you may be correct about SJ, but I’ve never seen that in writing anywhere. Do you have a source on that?

Secondly, is Stephen Jones someone we should feel a whole lot better about running everything? Obviously the Cowboys have done better drafting the last decade, they have made some occasional good moves, so it isn’t all bad. But we still have to come to this team’s three decades of failure in the playoffs.

Sincere question- If SJones is the guy fully in charge, why is that better?
I thought it was Stephen who stopped Jerry from drafting Johnny Manzel over Zack Martin.

On topic:
Stephen and Jerry are locked out of all power
due to a totally made-up legal issue. This forces
them to hand over ownership to Spaulding.
A completely made-up loophole allows Charlotte
to assist but not have final say.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X I’ve seen you post this many times about Stephen “taking the reins”. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but what is your source on this?

I’ve never seen anything publicly said that “Stephen Jones is running everything now.” I have seen Jerry very recently say “he’s still making all final decisions.” Again, you may be correct about SJ, but I’ve never seen that in writing anywhere. Do you have a source on that?

Secondly, is Stephen Jones someone we should feel a whole lot better about running everything? Obviously the Cowboys have done better drafting the last decade, they have made some occasional good moves, so it isn’t all bad. But we still have to come to this team’s three decades of failure in the playoffs.

Is it better with SJ than JJ ?
- Too soon to say for certain.
- SJ fully in charge started the day they fired Garrett.
- They've had 12 wins each of the past 3 seasons.
- The one bad season since Garrett was McCarthy's 1st (Dak played less than 5 full games).
- They initially hired Nolan as DC due to lack of other opions available by the time they had hired McCarthy.
- They quickly moved to fire Nolan and hire Quinn.
- Stephen and McClay had wanted to hire Quinn instead of Kiffin/Marinellli back in 2013.
- Quinn had departed Seattle for 2 season to serve as a college DC (Florida) before getting the DC job in Seattle in 2013.

1. It is common knowledge for anyone that is around the team that Stephen is the acting GM and delegates talent eval to McClay.
- All of the local media know it.
- Broaddus clearly stated it during his recent rant after the big loss.

- Local DFW sports media won't put it into print but will talk about it on radio.
- Alienating the teams they cover, especially the Cowboys, is not a good career move for local sport media people.
- Dale Hanson is the only only one that managed to survive after alienating Jerry; although he lost the radio job in the process.

2. Did you prefer the days of giving up two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway and hiring Dave Campo as Head Coach?
- A 1st and 3rd for Roy (WR) Williams...
- The 2009 draft.
- Shante Carver.
- Jerry would have drafted Johnnyy Football if not for S. Jones preventing it.

3. Jerry would have:
- Kept Garrett another decade.
- Dez, Witten, Romo, Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory, etc.. would still be on the 2024 roster with max contracts...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it better with SJ than JJ ?
- Too soon to say for certain.
- SJ fully in charge started the day they fired Garrett.
- They've had 12 wins each of the past 3 seasons.
- The one bad season since Garrett was McCarthy's 1st (Dak played less than 5 full games).
- They initially hired Nolan as DC due to lack of other opions available by the time they had hired McCarthy.
- They quickly moved to fire Nolan and hire Quinn.
- Stephen and McClay had wanted to hire Quinn instead of Kiffin/Marinellli back in 2013.
- Quinn had departed Seattle for 2 season to serve as a college DC (Florida) before getting the DC job in Seattle in 2013.

1. It is common knowledge for anyone that is around the team that Stephen is the acting GM and delegates talent eval to McClay.
- All of the local media know it.
- Broaddus clearly stated it during his recent rant after the big loss.

- Local DFW sports media won't put it into print but will talk about it on radio.
- Alienating the teams they cover, especially the Cowboys, is not a good career move for local sport media people.
- Dale Hanson is the only only one that managed to survive after alienating Jerry; although he lost the radio job in the process.

2. Did you prefer the days of giving up two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway and hiring Dave Campo as Head Coach?
- A 1st and 3rd for Roy (WR) Williams...
- The 2009 draft.
- Shante Carver.
- Jerry would have drafted Johnnyy Football if not for S. Jones preventing it.

3. Jerry would have:
- Kept Garrett another decade.
- Dez, Witten, Romo, Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory, etc.. would still be on the 2024 roster with max contracts...
You make some good points here. And I do remember the Brian Broaddus comments on video recently.
BUT…there’s still nothing official that has some kind of journalistic integrity to it that says Stephen is the man in charge.

I recently heard DMN writers Tim Cowlishaw and David Moore on Dallas radio back in October talking about this very subject regarding how much power Stephen has now. They both agreed that Stephen is very influential and has much more influence than he did 15 years ago.

But they both also agreed that Jerry Jones still is the final authority on all decisions on personnel, coaching, and the direction of the organization. David Moore says JJ bristles when this subject comes up in his presence.

I agree with you that Jerry would have made some even worse decisions than he has without SJ’s influence. But I’m still skeptical that Stephen Jones is pretty much running things at the Star. If there’s something out there that’s credible that says otherwise, maybe. But until then, it appears to me that Jerry Jones is still the man in charge.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Stephen has had the reins for multiple years.

Jerry Jr. and Charlotte are in charge of everything else.

Jerry just retains 1st dibs on any camera or radio time...
I literally had no idea there was a Jerry Jones Jr.

They’re multiplying exponentially.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I thought it was Stephen who stopped Jerry from drafting Johnny Manzel over Zack Martin.

On topic:
Stephen and Jerry are locked out of all power
due to a totally made-up legal issue. This forces
them to hand over ownership to Spaulding.
A completely made-up loophole allows Charlotte
to assist but not have final say.
Where was Jr when he traded for Trey Lance???

His number 1 job should be don't leave Jeruh by himself.

plasticman

Reaction score
Stephen has had the reins for multiple years.

Jerry Jr. and Charlotte are in charge of everything else.

Jerry just retains 1st dibs on any camera or radio time...
I don't believe that. I don't believe that Stephen has the freedom to make critical decisions that affect the future of the team. without any interfeence from Jerry.

That is to say, I don't believe his choices are completely free from parameters set by Jerry Jobes. In other words, he gets to make decisions so long as they are within the boundaries that Jerry has set.

plasticman

Reaction score
I am thinking Jason Witten needs to be in a key role somewhere. I could see him as a GM or Head Coach.
I considered that but going from high school coach to NFL GM is quite a jump. Having said that Jason is a phenomenal high school coach.

The most unpopular choice despite making sense, is Judd Garrett. He used to be the Cowboys Director of Player Personnel

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't believe that. I don't believe that Stephen has the freedom to make critical decisions that affect the future of the team. without any interfeence from Jerry.

That is to say, I don't believe his choices are completely free from parameters set by Jerry Jobes. In other words, he gets to make decisions so long as they are within the boundaries that Jerry has set.
Trey Lance trade clearly states otherwise.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The gm is already here- he just needs the title. It’s Will McClay. We don’t need a 7 panel committee of old cowboys

CTcowboy203

Reaction score

To be fair bob, do you think if Jerry had given the reigns to Stephen, that his ego would allow that to be known publicly?….i sure don’t.

I also think Stephen is in charge mostly and Jerry is used as a “tie breaker”. I think they let Jerry be the face of the franchise because he loves the limelight, he is a salesman and at the end of the day it’s his team but I don’t think he is doing nearly as much as many here do.

Lastly, no, I’m not sure Stephen would be much better. He may be better building through the draft but he seems extremely frugal- in regards to free agency which is scary.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Where was Jr when he traded for Trey Lance???

His number 1 job should be don't leave Jeruh by himself.
I don't remember anything implying Stephen wasn't
in on that deal. It might've been his idea.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A press conference is scheduled..

Both Jerry and Stephen are there. Jerry announces that his doctor adamantly recommends retirement. His age and related health issues are beginning to wear him down. His entire family is deeply concerned. He hands the reigns over to Stephen.

Stephen reports that he is taking the owner position but will not be the GM. He wants to focus on the marketing and sales aspect. His only participation in football related matters will be from the financial end which basically involves only signing the checks.

The salary cap will be the domain of the GM. He explains that he has begun to form a committee of 5-7 prominent players, coaches and scouts that have affiliations with the Cowboys, past or present. They will decide on the very best and most qualified candidate for the position.

The committee might include players like Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach, or Calvin Hill. The coaches might include Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells. They will look at dozens of candidates until they come to a general consensus on who that GM should be.

Who would you like to see as the next Cowboys GM?

My choice would be former Cowboy Daryl Johnston who is the current president of football operations for the USFL. He is extremely intelligent and sets a high standard.

Johnston was selected in the 2md round of the 1989 draft, the same that netted Troy Aikman, Tony Tolbert, and Mark Stepnoski.
As I began reading I was thinking Moose!
Strikes me as a guycwho would always put team first and never keep a guy hanging on too long at the detriment of the team or overpay.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be fair bob, do you think if Jerry had given the reigns to Stephen, that his ego would allow that to be known publicly?….i sure don’t.

I also think Stephen is in charge mostly and Jerry is used as a “tie breaker”. I think they let Jerry be the face of the franchise because he loves the limelight, he is a salesman and at the end of the day it’s his team but I don’t think he is doing nearly as much as many here do.

Lastly, no, I’m not sure Stephen would be much better. He may be better building through the draft but he seems extremely frugal- in regards to free agency which is scary.
Good points. And honestly, I don’t know that Stephen Jones isn’t running the show. I’m just saying we don’t know for certain either way. I could certainly be convinced that SJ is in charge. I just haven’t seen anything that convinces me.

Put it this way: If Stephen was in charge, why would he allow Jerry to continue being the ultimate mouthpiece of the team? Why would Jerry be allowed to make the Trey Lance trade with (according to Jerry) no one else involved? The statement that made it clear that Mike McCarthy was coming back next year was attributed to Jerry and only Jerry. Maybe SJ was 100% in agreement but it just seems odd to me that Stephen was not quoted nor he did make any public statement.

Last point: If Stephen Jones is THE MAN in charge now at the Star, I do not feel much better about the Cowboys future. Sure unlike his dad, he can string a complete sentence together with some clarity. But having SJ acting as the pilot of the Cowboys doesn’t exactly give me confidence. I doubt any of the 31 other NFL teams would hire him as their GM if he were suddenly available. The football side of this organization badly needs a reset button that does not include any Jones DNA.