A Fantasy to Pass the Time

Aven8

Reaction score
X I’ve seen you post this many times about Stephen “taking the reins”. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but what is your source on this?

I’ve never seen anything publicly said that “Stephen Jones is running everything now.” I have seen Jerry very recently say “he’s still making all final decisions.” Again, you may be correct about SJ, but I’ve never seen that in writing anywhere. Do you have a source on that?

Secondly, is Stephen Jones someone we should feel a whole lot better about running everything? Obviously the Cowboys have done better drafting the last decade, they have made some occasional good moves, so it isn’t all bad. But we still have to come to this team’s three decades of failure in the playoffs.

Sincere question- If SJones is the guy fully in charge, why is that better?
Stephen is the one that talked his dad into letting go of star players of years past. Ware, Romo, TO, Zeke, Witt, and so on. Jerry would never do that. Especially with someone like Ware. He could still play at the time. Broaddus said this the other day in his rant as well. Maybe he’s not that great on scouting, but he knows everyone over there and worked there for years. He knows Stephen really well.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Good points. And honestly, I don’t know that Stephen Jones isn’t running the show. I’m just saying we don’t know for certain either way. I could certainly be convinced that SJ is in charge. I just haven’t seen anything that convinces me.

Put it this way: If Stephen was in charge, why would he allow Jerry to continue being the ultimate mouthpiece of the team? Why would Jerry be allowed to make the Trey Lance trade with (according to Jerry) no one else involved? The statement that made it clear that Mike McCarthy was coming back next year was attributed to Jerry and only Jerry. Maybe SJ was 100% in agreement but it just seems odd to me that Stephen was not quoted nor he did make any public statement.

Last point: If Stephen Jones is THE MAN in charge now at the Star, I do not feel much better about the Cowboys future. Sure unlike his dad, he can string a complete sentence together with some clarity. But having SJ acting as the pilot of the Cowboys doesn’t exactly give me confidence. I doubt any of the 31 other NFL teams would hire him as their GM if he were suddenly available. The football side of this organization badly needs a reset button that does not include any Jones DNA.
That’s the easiest part of the equation to me if I’m being honest ; Stephen makes the majority of the decisions with McClay behind the scenes and they let jerry take all the credit when things work and when there’s things that don’t work jerry gets all the blame. Stephen literally is shielded from the major criticism while reaping all the benefits (and salary) still.

Hell, jerry gets all the blame even if the roster moves work (gilmore, cooks) but the team falls short, Stephen is bulletproof from any and all criticism, letting his pop take all the blame and all the credit (even when it’s not his and Jerry would do this regardless of the set up). It’s actually a sweet gig if you can swallow your pride and not need credit. All the risk? none of the blame yet still the rewards.

TheCritic

Reaction score
My fantasy is for the Cowboys nation to move on from 90s nostalgia. The current players and staff need their own identity.

Creeper

Reaction score
From everything I have read and heard, Stephen signing the checks is the problem.

rags747

Reaction score
A press conference is scheduled..

Both Jerry and Stephen are there. Jerry announces that his doctor adamantly recommends retirement. His age and related health issues are beginning to wear him down. His entire family is deeply concerned. He hands the reigns over to Stephen.

Stephen reports that he is taking the owner position but will not be the GM. He wants to focus on the marketing and sales aspect. His only participation in football related matters will be from the financial end which basically involves only signing the checks.

The salary cap will be the domain of the GM. He explains that he has begun to form a committee of 5-7 prominent players, coaches and scouts that have affiliations with the Cowboys, past or present. They will decide on the very best and most qualified candidate for the position.

The committee might include players like Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach, or Calvin Hill. The coaches might include Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells. They will look at dozens of candidates until they come to a general consensus on who that GM should be.

Who would you like to see as the next Cowboys GM?

My choice would be former Cowboy Daryl Johnston who is the current president of football operations for the USFL. He is extremely intelligent and sets a high standard.

Johnston was selected in the 2md round of the 1989 draft, the same that netted Troy Aikman, Tony Tolbert, and Mark Stepnoski.
Committee? Exactly the road Boeing took and look at them now. No thx…

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A press conference is scheduled..

Both Jerry and Stephen are there. Jerry announces that his doctor adamantly recommends retirement. His age and related health issues are beginning to wear him down. His entire family is deeply concerned. He hands the reigns over to Stephen.

Stephen reports that he is taking the owner position but will not be the GM. He wants to focus on the marketing and sales aspect. His only participation in football related matters will be from the financial end which basically involves only signing the checks.

The salary cap will be the domain of the GM. He explains that he has begun to form a committee of 5-7 prominent players, coaches and scouts that have affiliations with the Cowboys, past or present. They will decide on the very best and most qualified candidate for the position.

The committee might include players like Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach, or Calvin Hill. The coaches might include Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells. They will look at dozens of candidates until they come to a general consensus on who that GM should be.

Who would you like to see as the next Cowboys GM?

My choice would be former Cowboy Daryl Johnston who is the current president of football operations for the USFL. He is extremely intelligent and sets a high standard.

Johnston was selected in the 2md round of the 1989 draft, the same that netted Troy Aikman, Tony Tolbert, and Mark Stepnoski.
Very good fantasy. Will McClay has earned the right to elevate to the general managership. My next short list choice would be stealing Duke Tobin from the Bengals. I would have Daryl Johnston as a fourth or fifth choice.