Twitter: A federal judge has denied La’el Collins restraining order

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
At this point, just finish it out and get back at RT so we can dominate even more.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah, right :cool: It is Collins who is massively overrated here. All based on 2019 and previous years.
What else would you base it on? Collins is the better player and Steele makes a very good swing tackle.

John813

Reaction score
Then Steele could either shift to LT or stay at RT with Nsekhe or Knight could play either LT or RT.

Again, this isn't just about $1.2M in 2022 but if they moved on.

That said, I looked at over the cap and as a post 2021 June 1st trade/release candidate, his dead money would be split amongst seasons so it actually would look like this in terms of savings:

2021 $1.1M saved ($5.25M dead money)
2022 $10M saved ($5.25M dead money)
2023 $10M saved ($5.25M dead money)
2024 $10M saved ($3.45M dead money)

Again, if I am reading the site correctly Dallas would spread his dead money out over numerous years but would result in a savings each season as a result.

So in theory if Collins were traded/released this season then the savings of $10M next season could be used towards re-signing TE Schultz and WR Wilson for instance.

While trading/releasing pieces now may not seem to make sense given the way Dallas is playing, sometimes moves like J. Smith are needed for a better tomorrow to build a more well rounded team.

What would happen if Dallas traded him this year is this years prorated signing bonus would stick as dead cap, and the remaining signing bonus(2022-2024) would be all applied to the 2022 cap. So, in 2022 his absence would have a 13.945mil dead cap, or a savings of under 1.3mil, due to his cap hit of ~15.2mil
Now, obviously in 2023 and 2024 the team would of freed up 15.2 and 13.45mil in cap space as by then the contract is fully off the team.

What you see as a post first cut for dead cap/savings is only for that year only.
So if you select trade/cut post june 1st, the numbers shown are only for that applied year and does not take into account any future dead cap hits.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Steele is being massively overrated around here.

I'd agree with overrated, but not massively. Yes he gets to play next to All World Martin, but if he's that bad even Martin couldn't help him. He's a second year guy, he just might be one of those players that surprise...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't see how Steele is being over rated. When word came out that Collins was suspended for 5 game the assumption was Dallas was in big trouble and Steele could not handle the job. What we have seen is Steele can handle the job even shutting out Bosa when playing against the Chargers. Personally I want Collins back in the line up, I do think he is better and more experienced but the job Steele has done up to this point has been very good and deserves the credit he has gotten.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I'd agree with overrated, but not massively. Yes he gets to play next to All World Martin, but if he's that bad even Martin couldn't help him. He's a second year guy, he just might be one of those players that surprise...

He's a pretty good run blocker than you need to scheme around in pass situations. Fans should be encouraged about having a good swing tackle, but of course most our fans are causal and need to take it to the extreme.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I don't see how Steele is being over rated. When word came out that Collins was suspended for 5 game the assumption was Dallas was in big trouble and Steele could not handle the job. What we have seen is Steele can handle the job even shutting out Bosa when playing against the Chargers. Personally I want Collins back in the line up, I do think he is better and more experienced but the job Steele has done up to this point has been very good and deserves the credit he has gotten.

He didn't shut down Bosa. They schemed for him with the quick pass.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Yeah, GMs take that into account when making decisions … said no one ever :cool:

Yeah, star QBs have always had no consideration in roster decisions.

You continue to show how little you understand about this league with each post.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He didn't shut down Bosa. They schemed for him with the quick pass.

Yeah he kind of did and yes they schemed it as well but he had match ups in the game where he had to hold his own without help. Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing we would not do with Collins in the lineup vs a top ranked pass rusher.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Yeah he kind of did and yes they schemed it as well but he had match ups in the game where he had to hold his own without help. Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing we would not do with Collins in the lineup vs a top ranked pass rusher.

I disagree. They are most definitely helping him and scheming around his pass blocking way more than they would for LC.

LC will open up this offense even more when he returns.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I disagree. They are most definitely helping him and scheming around his pass blocking way more than they would for LC.

LC will open up this offense even more when he returns.

I don't see Steele as over rated, he has gone out and done the job, we have the 2nd best run team in the NFL and one of the top passing teams as part of the OL he deserves the credit for doing his job. I want Collins back but I damn happy with the job Steele has done.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I don't see Steele as over rated, he has gone out and done the job, we have the 2nd best run team in the NFL and one of the top passing teams as part of the OL he deserves the credit for doing his job. I want Collins back but I damn happy with the job Steele has done.

Then perhaps you are not overrating him. He's a good swing tackle to have. I am happy with how he has played.

But if you're saying he's as good or better than LC you are over rating him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Then perhaps you are not overrating him. He's a good swing tackle to have. I am happy with how he has played.

But if you're saying he's as good or better than LC you are over rating him.

No he is not better than Collins, Collins is very talented and much more experienced. Steele went from struggling last year as an UDFA to now a guy we can count on to do the job when called on and I will go a step further in saying Steele will continue to learn and develop as a player. Last year I was very critical of his play and this year he showed himself as a guy that can help this team.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Steele has been dominant in the run. I am set to watch the cartel view for this game but he has has not been good against the pass. He has given up a lot of pressure seeing problems with his recognition, punch, and feet.

We are enjoying a dominant running games against lesser fronts but against the upcoming Minnesota, Arizona, New Orleans, and Denver who are top 10 in run DVOA I think Collins is a better choice.

Collins is every bit as over powering in the run and he is superior in pass protections recognition, sets, and hands.