A few hidden observations from the game

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
1. There were some weak penalties called. The holding calls on Martin and Zeke and then the "trip" on Martin where he cut block the guy were just terrible. It was bad both ways as the hold by the Giants on Jarwin was a pretty terrible call as well.

2. Dak was Dak. He had some great throws and some meh throws. He's lucky Jarwin didn't drop the TD pass and he would have had a deep TD pass to Cooper on their big hookup but he under-threw it. But I'm not knocking the guy, he's still a stud QB deserving a big contract, just pointing out the good and the bad.

3. I saw a snap count from a site I hadn't really heard of that had Witten at like 45 and Jarwin 26 out of 65 possible? Don't know if that's accurate but it sounds like a solid distribution to me.

4. The Zeke TD run looked like an option play. With Austin as a possible pitch man for Zeke - I wonder if that's in the playbook as an option or just the look to get people to pay attention to Austin. I like the creativity.

5. The D allowed 169 yards in the first half. Yes, they had a few gaffes. But the entire second half they loosened up and played essentially a prevent so I don't care how many yards the Giants had after halftime. Once the Giants made the opening 91-yard drive, the D held them to 30, 17 and 31 yards on drives before halftime. Honestly even that isn't as dominant as I was hoping to see, but it was also the first game action for the group as a unit since last season. The LB play was not up to standard, Jaylon wasn't much of a factor. The secondary looked ok, the DL was meh. I'll worry if this becomes a trend, which I doubt.

6. Two turnovers forced. I'd take 32 for the season if that becomes their average.

7. We outclassed the Giants. It's nice to have a good enough team with good enough playcalling to be able to say that again. If we are as good as we think we are, we should do similar this week against Washington.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
How about the Penalty on Pollard for leading with his helmet?

We had some weak calls but the Giants got some calls at bad times too. I thought the officials were ok.

What is everyone opinion on the Daniel Jones fumble? The ref blew the whistle and then he fumbled but they went to instant replay and gave us the ball.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score

We had some weak calls but the Giants got some calls at bad times too. I thought the officials were ok.

What is everyone opinion on the Daniel Jones fumble? The ref blew the whistle and then he fumbled but they went to instant replay and gave us the ball.
I don't think the refs were biased, just calling some weak stuff. It was a legit fumble to me, we had a clear recovery so, whatever. The ball was clearly out when watching replay.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
1. There were some weak penalties called. The holding calls on Martin and Zeke and then the "trip" on Martin where he cut block the guy were just terrible. It was bad both ways as the hold by the Giants on Jarwin was a pretty terrible call as well.

I thought the Elliott call was bad. He pretty much decleated the linebacker with his block. His hands came forward on either side of the leg due to the impact, but he did not grab and tackle the player like Aikman said in the booth. The broadcasters didn't look at it closely enough, just like the officials, and assumed it was a hold. My thought was what was Elliott supposed to do there, tuck his arms in so it doesn't give the perception of a hold? It was a great blitz pickup.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think it was just hard for the referee to see it and even I originally thought it was jarred loose when he hit the ground.

The rules now allow for the referees to review the play even if a whistle was blown as long as there was a clear recovery of the ball.

As long as they get it right, I don't care if it's instant or minutes later, when it comes to possible turnovers.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't think the refs were biased, just calling some weak stuff. It was a legit fumble to me, we had a clear recovery so, whatever. The ball was clearly out when watching replay.

The problem with the fumble is the whistle was blown and he fumbled after the whistle.

reddyuta

Reaction score
That penalty on Zeke pissed me off,he has done that blocked 100s of times and never got called for a penalty.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Yes, if there's a clear recovery instead of everyone just stopping, then the play can be reviewed. He obviously fumbled so Awuzie did a great job of playing through and getting on the ball.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
I dont think you're allowed to be optimistic about the defense on this board.

Or the Refs
Blind+ref.jpg

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
I'll take +2 for the turnover stat line any day, to be honest.

I'd also take the +4 we could have had, if I am being picky.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
One observation for me was how well special teams played.

Haven't seen that in several years.

And yes, the Pollard call was borderline vindictive, IMO. What's he supposed to do......stand up and take a shot to the sternum?

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My observation is that Joe Buck should never be allowed to call Cowboy games. It's guaranteed every game he will harp on penalties either called or not called on Dallas - almost like it's the only reason the are possibly winning a game. Drives me nuts! Yet, when there is a questionable call that goes against Dallas, he just blows through it and there is no replays shown. Heck this even happens through commercial breaks and it's the first thing he comes back with - "Again, we are going to go back to this questionable call from back a quarter ago - this would likely be a different game if Dallas didn't receive that break" - Joe Buck - 5 times a game.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

I pay attention to our games far more than any others, but has any other teams been called for leading with the helmet?

I know Zeke was once last year and not Pollard. I don’t recall seeing it anywhere else.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
My observation is that Joe Buck should never be allowed to call Cowboy games. It's guaranteed every game he will harp on penalties either called or not called on Dallas - almost like it's the only reason the are possibly winning a game. Drives me nuts! Yet, when there is a questionable call that goes against Dallas, he just blows through it and there is no replays shown. Heck this even happens through commercial breaks and it's the first thing he comes back with - "Again, we are going to go back to this questionable call from back a quarter ago - this would likely be a different game if Dallas didn't receive that break" - Joe Buck - 5 times a game.
Joe Buck should not be allowed to call any games whatsoever. I have no idea how Aikman can stand to sit next to him for 3+ hours every sunday afternoon.

Dallasfann

Reaction score

He *****ed about a time out call for 2 quarters yesterday.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I hate that penalty. It's one thing if you're targeting another helmet, but it's just a general rule regarding 'forcible' contact, whatever the hell that is. It's not necessarily going to keep players safer because there aren't useful guidelines for what a RB is supposed to be able to do, and it just creates another opportunity for a judgment call that affects the outcome of games.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The problem with the fumble is the whistle was blown and he fumbled after the whistle.
lol no it wasn't. the ball fumbled before the whistle because he wasn't down yet. and chido smartly jumped on it anyway which gives us a clear recovery.