A few hidden observations from the game

Sydla

Reaction score
The Joe Buck hate always has me perplexed. Every fan base hates him and every fan base thinks he doesn't like their team. Apparently he hates every NFL franchise if you listen to fans.

It's weird.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Pereira says they make the right call everytime even if they don't. Those guys are there to side with the NFL.
Wrong. Pereira said that they shouldn't have picked up the flag on that illegal contact in the end zone where Eli got sacked. Said the guy was tackled and it should have been called.

Sydla

Reaction score
I pay attention to our games far more than any others, but has any other teams been called for leading with the helmet?

I know Zeke was once last year and not Pollard. I don’t recall seeing it anywhere else.

I've seen in called in other games. It's rare but it happens.

sean10mm

Reaction score
2. Dak was Dak. He had some great throws and some meh throws

This is such a weird take that I almost wonder if you know what good quarterback play even looks like.

Code:
Player         Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Lng  Y/A  Y/C  Rate
Dak Prescott    25  32 78.1 405  4   0  62 12.7 16.2 158.3

This is literally a historically great stat line. As in, hardly any QBs in history matched it in a game, no matter how great they were or how bad their opponent that day was.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
The Joe Buck hate always has me perplexed. Every fan base hates him and every fan base thinks he doesn't like their team. Apparently he hates every NFL franchise if you listen to fans.

It's weird.
Everybody hates him, yet they keep putting him on the air.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Wrong. Pereira said that they shouldn't have picked up the flag on that illegal contact in the end zone where Eli got sacked. Said the guy was tackled and it should have been called.
then he stated, but it was close and they might not see it that way. i knew it was a crap call from jump.

Sydla

Reaction score
Even after their own rules expert (Pereira) said the refs made the right call.

Are you talking about the 4th and goal play? The one where we tackled the WR?

We got away with one there. I initially thought Manning got hit before we tackled the WR but the replay showed that to be false.

And Pereira also was bizarrely wrong on another call.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Looking at highlights, both Jaylon and LVE looked a little slow. I hope they didn't bulk up too much to a point its detrimental

Sydla

Reaction score
Everybody hates him, yet they keep putting him on the air.

They put him on the air because he's their best play by play guy.

As I said the people that hate him and think he's biased against their team is bizarre to me.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Are you talking about the 4th and goal play? The one where we tackled the WR?

We got away with one there. I initially thought Manning got hit before we tackled the WR but the replay showed that to be false.

And Pereira also was bizarrely wrong on another call.
I am referring to the call where we had 12 men on the field, but called a time out. Pereira said the refs got it right and picked up the flag. Shurmur wasn't happy and Buck whined about it for the next 10 minutes.

aikemirv

Reaction score
How about the Penalty on Pollard for leading with his helmet?

We had some weak calls but the Giants got some calls at bad times too. I thought the officials were ok.

What is everyone opinion on the Daniel Jones fumble? The ref blew the whistle and then he fumbled but they went to instant replay and gave us the ball.
It was the definition of clear recovery so I think it was right to stand.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I thought the Elliott call was bad. He pretty much decleated the linebacker with his block. His hands came forward on either side of the leg due to the impact, but he did not grab and tackle the player like Aikman said in the booth. The broadcasters didn't look at it closely enough, just like the officials, and assumed it was a hold. My thought was what was Elliott supposed to do there, tuck his arms in so it doesn't give the perception of a hold? It was a great blitz pickup.

He would’ve looked like a fish outta water flopping around if his arms didn’t come forward. It really was a weird call.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Yeah but whats the difference between that and illegal contact - that was never made clear.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
They put him on the air because he's their best play by play guy.

As I said the people that hate him and think he's biased against their team is bizarre to me.

I'm not going to lie, I always feel he's heavily biased towards one team..not just the Cowboys. He also has the same issue Collinsworth has, in my opinion, of getting hung up on one subject and rolling with it for far too long.

My Dad says that he's much more tokertole in baseball, I don't watch it so I have zero input there. Neither of us can stand listening to him calling football though.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
My observation is that Joe Buck should never be allowed to call Cowboy games. It's guaranteed every game he will harp on penalties either called or not called on Dallas - almost like it's the only reason the are possibly winning a game. Drives me nuts! Yet, when there is a questionable call that goes against Dallas, he just blows through it and there is no replays shown. Heck this even happens through commercial breaks and it's the first thing he comes back with - "Again, we are going to go back to this questionable call from back a quarter ago - this would likely be a different game if Dallas didn't receive that break" - Joe Buck - 5 times a game.

I don't get all the hate for Joe Buck. And believe me, it is not just Cowboys' fans that claim buck is biased. They hate him in SF and LA. I was at the 49ers game in 2017, and they yelled "F*** Buck" the whole game. Buck is a solid announcer. He calls it as he sees it and is not biased...that is what pisses people off.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
1. There were some weak penalties called. The holding calls on Martin and Zeke and then the "trip" on Martin where he cut block the guy were just terrible. It was bad both ways as the hold by the Giants on Jarwin was a pretty terrible call as well.

2. Dak was Dak. He had some great throws and some meh throws. He's lucky Jarwin didn't drop the TD pass and he would have had a deep TD pass to Cooper on their big hookup but he under-threw it. But I'm not knocking the guy, he's still a stud QB deserving a big contract, just pointing out the good and the bad.

3. I saw a snap count from a site I hadn't really heard of that had Witten at like 45 and Jarwin 26 out of 65 possible? Don't know if that's accurate but it sounds like a solid distribution to me.

4. The Zeke TD run looked like an option play. With Austin as a possible pitch man for Zeke - I wonder if that's in the playbook as an option or just the look to get people to pay attention to Austin. I like the creativity.

5. The D allowed 169 yards in the first half. Yes, they had a few gaffes. But the entire second half they loosened up and played essentially a prevent so I don't care how many yards the Giants had after halftime. Once the Giants made the opening 91-yard drive, the D held them to 30, 17 and 31 yards on drives before halftime. Honestly even that isn't as dominant as I was hoping to see, but it was also the first game action for the group as a unit since last season. The LB play was not up to standard, Jaylon wasn't much of a factor. The secondary looked ok, the DL was meh. I'll worry if this becomes a trend, which I doubt.

6. Two turnovers forced. I'd take 32 for the season if that becomes their average.

7. We outclassed the Giants. It's nice to have a good enough team with good enough playcalling to be able to say that again. If we are as good as we think we are, we should do similar this week against Washington.

1. I agree, bad officiating, on both sides, for all the reasons you stated. I noticed the same things you did.

2. Yes, Dak was Dak. Still needs to work on accuracy. But glad he was decisive with his passes. And I like that he's confident in making the throws.

3. Jarwin needs more snaps, Witten less. We need youth and a little speed at TE, especially on 3rd and long when Witten rarely catches passes 10 yards down the field any more. He's just too slow to beat a LB or safety and get open.

4. Can we PLEASE use Austin more? I think Moore's working on this though, so I'll cut him slack. I imagine Moore will get better use of this full roster as the weeks progress.

5. The Giants O stinks, so it's hard to evaluate the defense. The run defense definitely could be better, as the LBs didn't have a good day, I agree. And I don't think the pass rush was that impressive either. Overall, the Dee needs to play better, because other teams will be much better than the stinky Giants offense. Hec, if Barkley would have gotten 30 touches, the game may have been a shootout.

Still didn't see enough deception at the line of scrimmage. It's so easy to see when the defense is in zone or man, and whether they're blitzing or not. Thus, a good OC and QB is going to easily pick this defense apart.

6. 2 TOs in game 1? That's BIG for the Cowboys Dee. Hope they can carry that forward.

7. Totally agree. They actually outCOACHED the Giants, on both sides of the ball, and it's rare I say that after a Cowboys game. I think most of this attributable to Moore though. Moore outcoached the Giants hands down. For the defense, they outPLAYED the Giants for the most part, because the Giants bonehead offense used Barkley sparingly. All they had to do is run or throw to him as much as possible, and on the downs that he doesn't get it, use him for play action. Would have been hard to stop.