Video: A few reasons why I'm not worried about our run game

Galian Beast

Reaction score
It will take a little more than this game to determine a lot. This is not one of the NFL’S better run defenses and they are starting an undrafted free agent in his first game in the middle.

A good game by the running backs tonight will drastically change the narrative going forward. It anything this is a good way to build confidence if they can deliver.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
We haven't seen consistent speed at running back since Julius Jones' rookie year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cherry picking. When a running back rushes for over 1,800 yards for the season there has to be plenty of instances where he's getting more than he should.

With the lack of big runs he had I doubt it.

I'd like to know his yards after contact stat.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Cherry picking. When a running back rushes for over 1,800 yards for the season there has to be plenty of instances where he's getting more than he should.

No that doesn't have to be the case at all. Murray had a ton of carries and the best run blocking unit in front of him. That is what led to 1800 yards.

Any "extra" yards he created he more than gave them up with poor vision and lack of speed.

I've been a vocal critic of his dating back to during the season last year. I've been a vocal supporter stating we'll be able to run the ball just fine. We just saw Deangelo Williams and Dion Lewis rip it up Thursday night.

We will run and we will run well. I'm very confident I'll be vindicated tonight.

superonyx

Reaction score
While nice and all I would bet you could find enough plays from every OL in the NFL to show that the line can block.... Not saying our line isn't good...but highlights and select plays are a little Ron Jaworski like and can and have been used to prove the sky isn't even blue.

That said....I like our back more now that we have Michael...we needed some balance and depth.

I hope our offensive line is ready to open some holes and prove they deserve the hype and credit the entire world has given them the last year.

Woke up today and there was a little nip in the air....it feels like football.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
A good game by the running backs tonight will drastically change the narrative going forward. It anything this is a good way to build confidence if they can deliver.

Against a rookie MLB and a punchless defense? Smart people will probably wait before claiming all is well.

RunDMC

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in Darren McFadden as you can tell by my username. I just feel people aren't giving him a fair shake because of his struggles in Oakland. That was a terrible situation and a tough one for anybody to have consistent success there. Opposing teams always took DMC out of the game early because the Raiders never really had anybody at the quarterback position that they had to respect or a receiver to command double teams and just an overall passing game to loosen up the defense and give him more breathing room.

The talent is still there. He still got a lot of explosion and pop to his game. I won't deny that Murray was the superior downhill runner, but he often times picked the wrong hole and his lack of speed also allowed teams to gang up on him and strip the football. McFadden will not have that issue. Yes he has to prove he can stay healthy, but I also believe being in Dallas will help with that. Not getting hit as much in the back field and being up to get upfield more and protect himself I believe will increase his chances of being able to stay on the field.

dallasdave

Reaction score

Well said indeed sir !!! That's hope they set the tone early and dominate the little giants in the run game, and this will set the tone for the running game for the season !

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score

Murray got in yards in ways that the speedy elusive back wouldn't.

Ender

Reaction score
Our backs need to have vision to see the holes though. So hopefully we will be ok this year. I expect that starting job to change a couple times this year

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in Darren McFadden as you can tell by my username. I just feel people aren't giving him a fair shake because of his struggles in Oakland. That was a terrible situation and a tough one for anybody to have consistent success there. .

Great post, I mostly agree. I think the Cowboys are slightly underestimating what they need at RB and I would have drafted Buck Allen to add to the mix. But I think McFadden is much better than he is given credit for here and will have an excellent season this year. He will be given some huge holes each game and won't be overworked as a Cowboy.

Its like dating, we had a girlfriend (Murray) who was an 8 or 9 but suddenly became very high maintenance (salary). Now we have a 7 and two 5's but they are very low maintenance. Its not as cool, but its probably more productive and the cost will be a fraction of what it would be if we resigned Murray.

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Man, I am just so sick of hearing/talking/reading/writing about it. I am thrilled that finally, we start to get answers tonight.

This season took a loooong time to get here.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Great post, I mostly agree. I think the Cowboys are slightly underestimating what they need at RB and I would have drafted Buck Allen to add to the mix. But I think McFadden is much better than he is given credit for here and will have an excellent season this year. He will be given some huge holes each game and won't be overworked as a Cowboy.

Its like dating, we had a girlfriend (Murray) who was an 8 or 9 but suddenly because very high maintenance (salary). Now we have a 7 and two 5's but they are very low maintenance. Its not as cool, but its probably more productive and the cost will be a fraction of what it would be if we resigned Murray.

Much like dating, the only relevant scale for a RB boils down to basically, a 0 or 1.

Anything else is just a bonus.:laugh:

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym5wAhJBCbc

The plays in video show our offensive line opening things up for Murray. Randle and DMC showed they can set up their blockers and then hit the hole. Our offensive line can get a lot of movement and open lanes for the RB which will give Randle/DMC their chance to rack up the yards.

(I cut the first clip short because Murray gained more yards breaking tackles)

Saw one where he had open field and fell down. Left some meat on that bone. Lol

Thomas82

Reaction score
If nothing else, we'll find out if that theory of "anybody can run behind this line" is really true.