Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:
turnips
beets
hominy
liver
papaya
calamari

I LIKE calamari... but I agree with you wholeheartedly about grits, turnips and liver... my list would also include broccoli and cauliflower... don't be puttin' none of that on my plate...

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
silverbear said:
I LIKE calamari... but I agree with you wholeheartedly about grits, turnips and liver... my list would also include broccoli and cauliflower... don't be puttin' none of that on my plate...

Calamari is great...but ya gotta stay away from those creepy crawly spindly leg things...

:ralph:

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
silverbear said:

i loves me some broccoli :)

cauliflower.............. gotta be in the mood

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Calamari is great...but ya gotta stay away from those creepy crawly spindly leg things...

I could eat shellfish until I turned into one... in fact, I've got a story about eatin' crustaceans, from a younger day...

My best buddy, almost a brother, is a guy who stands about 6-4, and probably weighs 280... we can both do some serious eating... this one day, we decided to go eat at a Chesapeake Bay Seafood House, which featured an all you can eat menu in which you could order any entree of equal or lesser value than your original order for your second plate, your third, and so on... you could get Alaskan king crab legs, then shrimp boiled in beer, then linguini in white clam sauce, then crab cakes... you get the idea...

The only problem was, each plateful got progressively smaller, until by your 3rd or 4th go-round they were bringing you out like 3 shrimp... clearly, the idea was to make you too embarrassed to continue ordering...

Well, me and my buddy were the wrong two guys to try that ploy on, it was just about impossible to embarrass either one of us, so we just kept on ordering and ordering and ordering... we were polite about it, even friendly, but eventually the waitress got pissed, and told the assistant manager, and he came over to ask us what OUR problem was... I told him pretty much the same way I told you guys in this story, and said if they'd brought out normal sized portions, we probably would have had our fill by the 3rd plateful... again, I wasn't nasty or anything... we'd each had maybe 2 beers in the course of the meal, so we were hardly drunk, either...

The guy tore up our check, invited us to leave, and suggested we never return... we walked out of there laughing ourselves silly... best free meal I'd ever had in a restaurant... in fact, it was the ONLY free meal I've ever had in a restaurant...

Yes, I like crustaceans... another time, when I was younger still, the family went to a Red Lobster to celebrate my birthday... after a brief wait, a table came available, but I hung back, checking out the lobster tank... after a few minutes, my Dad came lookin' for me, and found me peering intently into the tank... he asked what I was doing, and I told him "I'm just waitin' for one of these lobsters to REALLY piss me off, that one's gonna be my dinner"...

He told that story many, many times between that day and the day he died, I don't think I ever cracked him up more completely...

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Me I'll eat most anything once just to say I've had it. While I was in the Navy had a Phillipano dish called Lumpia (SP) which is made with dog meat. I didn't know it at the time and it wasn't bad. I've also had Rattle Snake and many other odd foods. I hate Liver but like gizzards.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i've had a few gizzards......... back in the day.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I usually have a problem eating something that has the same name cooked, as when it was alive.

That's a big rule of mine.

Chicken is an exception because I need to know what chicken tastes like because it's the universal reference "It tastes like chicken"

But that's it...no clams...lobster...fish...duck...lamb... :eek:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I am pretty much a billy goat. I eat almost anything, and enjoy most of it. As a matter of fact, I had escargot yesterday (for the second time) on a date, and find that food just plain terrific.

I am not afraid to eat anything at least once, and normally I like it.

I can think of two foods, though, that I can't stand.

Hominy - I can swallow it, but I prefer not to. And I LOVE corn, so I know how odd that is.

Malt - not really a food, but anything that contains malt makes me gag. I can't so much as swallow it. Malted milk balls (whoppers) - one bite and I gag, sometimes to vomit. As much as I love a milkshake, if you put malt in it, you WILL be making it again, along with cleaning a mess, because I will pour it on your head.

As many know, I am a barista at Starbucks. We just started serving malt again for frappuccinos. Many customers are ecstatic. Not me. I won't make it. I have another worker come and make it, just because the smell sickens me.

I FRIGGIN HATE MALT.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
in webster's - my mugshot appears under the word "omnivorous".

but i cannot stand asparagus (they just don't make enough hollandaise for it to be palatable - yet other family members eat it cold out of the can or just start macking on wild spears... yeccchhhh!!!!), avacados (which is odd - because i'm crazy about mexican food having grown up in el paso), and sunflower seeds. i just don't appreciate the taste of asparagus. but avacado and sunflower seeds make me physically nauseous.

i could digest rocks. but these 3 things are way off my diet.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
in webster's - my mugshot appears under the word "omnivorous".

but i cannot stand asparagus (they just don't make enough hollandaise for it to be palatable - yet other family members eat it cold out of the can or just start macking on wild spears... yeccchhhh!!!!), avacados (which is odd - because i'm crazy about mexican food having grown up in el paso)

I grew up in El Paso too... well, as much as I've really grown up...

4905 Tropicana Avenue, directly across the street from Terrace Hills Elementary School... was one of the first students through those doors... ditto Andress High School, I was in junior high over there the first year they opened...

But I like avocados, and I even found a way to stomach asparagus... the Germans call it "spargle" (not sure about the spelling, but that's how it's pronounced), and they seem to steam it, then slather it with butter...

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I am pretty much a billy goat. I eat almost anything, and enjoy most of it. As a matter of fact, I had escargot yesterday (for the second time) on a date, and find that food just plain terrific.

I am not afraid to eat anything at least once, and normally I like it.

I can think of two foods, though, that I can't stand.

Hominy - I can swallow it, but I prefer not to. And I LOVE corn, so I know how odd that is.

Malt - not really a food, but anything that contains malt makes me gag. I can't so much as swallow it. Malted milk balls (whoppers) - one bite and I gag, sometimes to vomit. As much as I love a milkshake, if you put malt in it, you WILL be making it again, along with cleaning a mess, because I will pour it on your head.

As many know, I am a barista at Starbucks. We just started serving malt again for frappuccinos. Many customers are ecstatic. Not me. I won't make it. I have another worker come and make it, just because the smell sickens me.

I FRIGGIN HATE MALT.

whoppers can choke a buzzard off a gut wagon............. fo sure.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Juke99 said:

I take it you've never tried the whole baby octopuss that they have on oriental food buffets? Meat tastes fairly similar when cooked right, though the legs on the octopuss and a little chewy and the little suction cups take some getting used to.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
sushi - I don't eat anything that hasn't had some kind of heat put to it and don't give me that crap about the acid cooking it either.....I don't buy it.

seafood - mainly crab because well I can't eat it. The first time I ever went to Houston we ate at Landry's and the next morning I won a gold metal in the cookie toss :D

but probably the one thing I will never eat again is Hamber Helper Cheeseburger Mac. The thought of it makes me gag.