Video: A Football Life - Troy Aikman

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

From Troy's a Football Life ... Troy yelling on the sidelines, that attitude, intensity.
Do you think there's any of that on this current team? Witten? Dez? Dak? Any leaders? Anyone on the coaching staff?

No. And Romo didn't bring that intensity either. It's is something that has been missing for a LONG time. Dak is close.

robjay04

Reaction score
Maybe, if Newton had 3 SB rings and a SB MVP to his name. Cam is more of a "team-selfies" type of leader.

He didn’t reach those achievements as that type of leader.

I see people, including myself, criticize Brady for screaming on the sidelines and yelling curse words and his achievements exceed Troy’s. Still I have never seen Brady’s act like that.

As I said, the Jerry Jones Dallas Cowboys are the only place where a player can seen as a leader for acting like that on the sidelines. Maybe it’s because our coaches are generally deemed as having no back bone and Jerry is the one in charge. That doesn’t mean any player should rise above the player/coach concept. If you have an issue, settle it behind closed doors.

CapnB

Reaction score
Yelling and screaming at people doesnt necessarily mean intensity. We have plenty of people that can yell and holler and tell people they stink. Sean Lee has plenty of intensity and hes not screaming at people.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Yelling and screaming at people doesnt necessarily mean intensity. We have plenty of people that can yell and holler and tell people they stink. Sean Lee has plenty of intensity and hes not screaming at people.

No I don't think yelling for yelling sake does anything. But in the clip you can see Troys frustration with other players/coaches not wanting it as much as he did.

We now have a coach that claps when his opponents make a good play. Troy would have flipped his lid if he was in the sideline.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
No I don't think yelling for yelling sake does anything. But in the clip you can see Troys frustration with other players/coaches not wanting it as much as he did.

We now have a coach that claps when his opponents make a good play. Troy would have flipped his lid if he was in the sideline.
The ownership, coaches, players, and even most fans no longer have a demand for excellence. I get fans don’t really have a say in the matter, but they do come up with excuses other fans should just be happy with the status quo of being in playoff contention late in the season, as if that is an accomplishment.

Troy retired to get away from all the bad decisions the team was making and he didn’t want to be a part of it. A coach pumping up players instead of holding them accountable was a big reason why. I can’t see Troy playing for a coach like Garrett who claps and butt slaps as his primary motivational tool when things go south.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I don’t disagree but take that up with Jerry instead of raising hell on the sidelines in front of your teammates. That’s not leadership. It’s not like Troy was leading that way when the Cowboys were at their best. Publicly bashing a coach is not the job of a player. Actually...only a player under Jerry Jones would get away with this which is probably why Troy felt entitled.

I just want consistency. Imagine if a clip of Cam Newton came out acting that way...I guarantee nobody would be saying intensity.

I’m not sure if Troy would’ve got away with this in the days of social media...maybe. Most of us never seen this side of him prior to this video.

I understand your premise and to be honest, I don’t respect inadequate and incompetent authority. Some men are shepherds, the rest are sheep. I refuse to follow a defunct leader into a ditch. To each his own...

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
When it comes to the vocal antics on the sidelines and how we perceive it the perception varies. Some are seen as fiery competitive leaders while others are seen as out of control selfish whiners. Unless we get a testimonial from a current or former teammate much of our perception can be slanted through the media. What I've noticed with the passage of time is the diminishing aspect of vocal accountability. Coaches are less apt to confront a player and players seem to think they are above reproach. When this occurs from a player-to-player standpoint this can quickly escalate into a fight. When did this violent sport played by self-proclaimed warriors become so sensitive to accountability.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
That was not intensity.

Troy was bashing coaches and I really thought differently of him after seeing that. I didn’t like the coaches but it isn’t his job to raise hell on the sidelines bashing coaches.

If other players do that, they are a headcase but Troy was just intense?

Some of the stuff he said would’ve made TO blush.

What about the current staff? The clapping carrot is not going to raise hell. That's why I miss the BP or Mike Ditka type coaches. Loved the stare the Tuna gave you coming off the field.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

From Troy's a Football Life ... Troy yelling on the sidelines, that attitude, intensity.
Do you think there's any of that on this current team? Witten? Dez? Dak? Any leaders? Anyone on the coaching staff?

If you watch the sidelines there has been some yelling. They’ve shown Witten pissed off a few times. Witten and Dez went at it a few years ago and Ware had to step in. Dez does a lot of yelling due to frustration. What he does doesn’t help the team it’s a distraction. I don’t think players yelling on the sidelines accomplishes much.

Most of the times they showed Troy yelling, the Cowboys didn’t have good teams and he was frustrated. You didn’t see much yelling on the sidelines during the Cowboys Super Bowl winning seasons. Those teams were ready to play. We didn’t need players yelling at each other to get everyone fired up. Jimmy had them fired up.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Dez has it but it’s considered a distraction nationally when he does it.....
Dez has it when he doesn’t get the ball and most times he does it we are winning. Troy did it when the team played like crap and needed a kick in the butt.

Troy wanted to win, Dez wants stats.

Last edited:

Satchel89

Reaction score
Easy answer....Rico Gathers. He said he's going to be the greatest Tight End of all-time or something like that. That's definitely attitude and intensity from a player who didn't play the entire season.

RoboQB

Reaction score
He didn’t reach those achievements as that type of leader.

I see people, including myself, criticize Brady for screaming on the sidelines and yelling curse words and his achievements exceed Troy’s. Still I have never seen Brady’s act like that.

As I said, the Jerry Jones Dallas Cowboys are the only place where a player can seen as a leader for acting like that on the sidelines. Maybe it’s because our coaches are generally deemed as having no back bone and Jerry is the one in charge. That doesn’t mean any player should rise above the player/coach concept. If you have an issue, settle it behind closed doors.

You make it sound like he held a press conference to bash his coach. He was letting off some steam to an assistant.
The pressure put on Aikman after Johnson left was immense.

robjay04

Reaction score
You make it sound like he held a press conference to bash his coach. He was letting off some steam to an assistant.
The pressure put on Aikman after Johnson left was immense.

And we have criticized guys for much less than that based on just seeing perceived frustration without actually knowing what they say.

That’s the only point I am making.

RoboQB

Reaction score
And we have criticized guys for much less than that based on just seeing perceived frustration without actually knowing what they say.

That’s the only point I am making.

We? No, not "we". Some.
It sure sounded more like you were bashing Troy Aikman for expressing his frustration over
a coaching staff, mostly Switzer, seemingly not into the common team goal of doing what
it takes to win.

Frankly, the cameras shouldn't even be on the sidelines or in locker rooms. But where's the fun in that, right?
Professional sports is emotional. Some take their legacy very seriously.

"We" don't have cameras following us around at work. Imagine a microphone catching you expressing
you frustration with a co-worker over how the boss is an idiot, for example.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw Dak get in Butlers face and yell at him his first year behind the helm. Haven’t seen it since...
When Dak was a rookie, he yelled at Dez in a preseason game for screwing something up.

It was awesome that an unknown rookie QB was yelling at the highest paid non-QB on the team.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
When Dak was a rookie, he yelled at Dez in a preseason game for screwing something up.

It was awesome that an unknown rookie QB was yelling at the highest paid non-QB on the team.

I bet u got all wet to...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll always consider Troy as one of the best leaders the Cowboys have ever had. He wasn't afraid to voice his pleasure or displeasure with those on the team and even the coaches at times. Those types of players are practically as rare as hen's teeth. His focus and intensity in the biggest of games were something to behold. Here's hoping he's not the last of that breed we'll be seeing from the likes of the Cowboys' teams in future years. Players like that tend to make those around them better than they'd be otherwise.

Last edited: