A general consensus on Demarcus Lawrence....

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate to lose the 3rd but under the circumstances I understand why they paid the piper to get their guy.

I like Demarcus Lawrence, he has violent hands and he really gets after the QB (hunter) and puts him in the ground while stripping the football.

He needs seasoning in terms of getting off blocks, technique work with reference to pass rush moves and with respect to recognition.

I do think he has upside, certainly plays faster than his 40 time! We certainly needed the RDE and pass rush, they made it happen!

He was really an underrated talent. In February you were talking about a guy who most thought was a 4th round pick.

Don't worry about his 40 time. That's nonsense. It didn't hold Terrell Suggs back and it shouldn't hold Lawrence back either.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I think he only looked slow because of the orange unis contrasting with a blue field.

Seriously????????????

Trust me on this one (I'm BSU Alum).....We got a good player. Probably over paid in the trade...But stop and consider this...The Cowboys traded 2nd and 3rd round picks for Charles Haley.

chicago JK

Reaction score
It is refreshing to see guys say that both Martin and Lawrence were good picks. Who knows if that will become a reality though. But at least the early press is good.

The next few rounds are key. We all know a lot of these picks don't pan out. So if you only have two picks in the first three rounds and one of those picks does not pan out, it can really hurt your draft. Dallas really needs to find a Chris canty/barber fourth round haul. The more good solid picks you make the better chance you have that a few more hit.

Aven8

Reaction score
Weren't you the one pleading that the Cowboys move up to draft Donald?

You bet. And IMO we traded up for the wrong dude. I thought we could have got him for a third.

I figured we would trade up, in fact I heard we tried to trade up for Donald with no suitors, think they wanted our 2nd.
I don't mind trading up whatsoever, however I thought our 3rd last night was a little rich. The whole point I was making was everybody, at least in the media/radio that Jerry was coming around when he took Martin and not going for splash, then the very next day he went back to form and traded way up.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
You bet. And IMO we traded up for the wrong dude. I thought we could have got him for a third.

I figured we would trade up, in fact I heard we tried to trade up for Donald with no suitors, think they wanted our 2nd.
I don't mind trading up whatsoever, however I thought our 3rd last night was a little rich. The whole point I was making was everybody, at least in the media/radio that Jerry was coming around when he took Martin and not going for splash, then the very next day he went back to form and traded way up.

Trading up from the mid to early second is not a "splash."

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
Seriously????????????

Trust me on this one (I'm BSU Alum).....We got a good player. Probably over paid in the trade...But stop and consider this...The Cowboys traded 2nd and 3rd round picks for Charles Haley.

Actually I was trying to make a joke, admittedly not too funny...

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
I'm curious, if Dallas traded the third to move up from 47, into the bottom of the first to get this guy would the reactions be the same? There were many people in this board saying they'd be fine with Lawrence in a trade down scenario and even a backup option at 16. Lots of mocks drafts and so called experts had the guy in the first round. Isn't that worth a third? The price to move up in the first is about a third I think.

I'm just curious, not trying to change your minds but this is how I look at it. He was first round talent, we traded a third to get within two picks of the first round to get a guy that has first round talent, fits a huge need and was the last remaining RDE with real pass rushing ability.

For the record, I love the player and I did not like giving up a starter to get him but I'm okay with it because we got two first round talents with the first 3 picks. Both big needs.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
His highlites are great but I'll wait until I see him play against NFL competition. I like the pick. I don't think you can get a player like him often at 34 if what I see translates.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
the pick cost us a 3rd that could have been used on CB Phillip Gaines to solidify our secondary, but NOOOOOO, once again we throw away picks. This guy better be the 2nd coming of DWare or else this draft blows.

Reaction score
The number of players you mention doesn't matter if we didn't want them. We had Lawrence rated as a 1st round talent and wanted him before the Falcons could get him. Saying this or that player is available doesn't matter. Look what happened to JF.

Would you really rather have Demarcus Lawrence over both Timmy Jernigan AND Kareem Martin? Only if he can play multiple positions at the SAME TIME is Lawrence worth both of those picks.

Reaction score
the pick cost us a 3rd that could have been used on CB Phillip Gaines to solidify our secondary, but NOOOOOO, once again we throw away picks. This guy better be the 2nd coming of DWare or else this draft blows.

You know how likely that is to happen. When you look at the teams that compete year in & year out, they rarely trade up, and when they do, it's not very far and costs them very little. The Steelers, Packers, Seahawks, 49ers, Broncos, etc. let the draft come to them. It's when you force things that your draft usually goes sideways in a hurry. Jerry has traded more in the first round than any other "GM" the last 15 years, & is close to the top in total trades made. Case closed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Draft Analysis:
"This is an interesting pick. He is one of the better edge rushers in this draft. At Boise State, he was asked to play inside and outside (on the defensive line). His best football is ahead of him. He is extremely athletic. I like his size and explosion. I think he will get bigger and stronger. He can get to the quarterback and that is what the Cowboys need right now." -- Mike Mayock

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I thought they did the right thing. I'm always for quality over quantity and this guy was the very last first round quality edge rusher. It is something the team had to get in the draft, or it was wait until next year.

Someone mentioned that we could have had Jernigan and Kareem Martin, but neither of those guys are any better than what we have at those spots and I doubt either would start over McClain and Crawford. As a matter of fact, Crawford was a 3rd round pick just like Martin would have been and both play on the strongside. And, to be honest, I think Ken Bishop will be about as good as Jernigan, while there was nobody even close to Lawrence in later rounds. So we could have had Jernigan backing up at the 1-tech and Martin backing up SDE, or you could have a legitimate edge rusher on passing downs coming off the weakside in Lawrence.

This:

WDE - Lawrence / Mincey
3-tech - Melton / Bishop
1-tech - McClain / Bishop
SDE - Crawford / Selvie

Looks much better than this:

WDE - Selvie / Mincey
3-tech - Melton / Jernigan
1-tech - McClain / Jernigan
SDE - Crawford / Bass

While that might not be exactly right, it is close, and in the second scenario, there is simply no juice off of the edge. None. In the first scenario, Lawrence is that white lightning off the edge that all good defenses have to have.

Martin and Jernigan are replaceable with what we have on the team and with guys later in the draft. Lawrence couldn't be replaced either way. We had to get him there or not at all.

theSHOW

Reaction score
I would like to know the % of people who are complaining about this pick that also complained about the Frederick pick.......

Just so I can ignore them

I loved the Frederick pick. But I am not on board with this pick. Reading some nice things about the new DeMarcus and also wondering why we didn't take Kareem Martin with a late 3rd and grab another offensive lineman. No need to ignore. I am positive 90 percent of the time on backing the Cowboys. Love to be wrong when I'm complaining.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

I'm in the mind set that he replaces Spencer.....I'm not sold Spencer ever makes it back. Patience grasshopper.....Next years draft is loaded w/ Defensive Ends in the Ware mold.