A Golden Age of Cowboys Rushing Game Came During 2022

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Everyone has their sentimental favorites. And some of those guys of the past were special.

But the reality? None of them produced as much per-play as Pollard.

2021...on receiving/rushing touches...6.2 (1,056 yards)
2022...on receiving/rushing touches...5.9 (1,378 yards)

Best Cowboys season, Yard Per Touch:
Dorsett: 5.4
Calvin Hill: 5.7
Zeke: 5.6
Emmitt: 5.6 (Smith only had one season exceeding 5.0)
Smith in his prime years had the ball nearly 500 times a season. Pollard touched the ball less than 300 times.

Even just looking at receiving wise Smith was receiving the ball over 40 times from 1991 to 1996. Pollard received 39 times - in that span, Smith's longest receptions were 57, 86, and 68. Pollards has been 30, 32, and 68.

Last edited:

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Question:
Since 1970 how many times has an NFL qualifying running backs enjoyed 6.2 yards per carry (or better) in a season:

Answer:
Three times.

Yet that 6.2 yard pace was the power and production of the Cowboys offense with Pollard spearheading things, during the eight games the line was intact and permitting a few games for Tyler Smith to settle in.
I don't understand this logic. I'm sure you can find 8-game stretches where players average this all over the place.

Just looking at random running backs with 8-game stretches at over 6.2 ypc...

Tatum Bell, 2005: 94 carries, 595 yards, 6.33 average.
Maurice Jones-Drew, 2006: 92 carries, 631 yards, 6.86 average.
DeAngelo Williams, 2008: 153 carries, 993 yards, 6.49 average.
Chris Johnson, 2009: 155 carries, 1034 yards, 6.67 average.
Alvin Kamara, 2017: 71 carries, 523 yards, 7.37 average.

6.2 ypc over an entire season is an historic pace because it's almost impossible to do long term. In a small sample though, it happens all the time.

T-RO

Reaction score
You absolutely take out the long runs in a small sample. You would take out a -10-yard run as well. Over the course of a whole season, taking out outliers is less important, but outliers drastically skew the perception in small samples.

If a player had 5 carries for 100 yards, but had a 99-yard run and 4 fumbles, saying he averaged 20 ypc is ridiculous.
An uninterrupted 8 game sample is a valid sample. That's what we are discussing.

I didn't cherry pick individual games, but took an uninterrupted stretch (half a season). You are the one trying to isolate single games and even single plays.

If we want to look at a full career Pollard is near the top of all active qualifying RBs in YPA.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
An uninterrupted 8 game sample is a valid sample. That's what we are discussing.

I didn't cherry pick individual games, but took an uninterrupted stretch (half a season). You are the one trying to isolate single games and even single plays.

If we want to look at a full career Pollard is near the top of all active qualifying RBs in YPA.
It is a valid sample, sure. But it's still a small number of carries that is skewed by outliers.

T-RO

Reaction score
I don't understand this logic. I'm sure you can find 8-game stretches where players average this all over the place.

Just looking at random running backs with 8-game stretches at over 6.2 ypc...

Tatum Bell, 2005: 94 carries, 595 yards, 6.33 average.
Maurice Jones-Drew, 2006: 92 carries, 631 yards, 6.86 average.
DeAngelo Williams, 2008: 153 carries, 993 yards, 6.49 average.
Chris Johnson, 2009: 155 carries, 1034 yards, 6.67 average.
Alvin Kamara, 2017: 71 carries, 523 yards, 7.37 average.
Look at your list bro!
-MJD was 2nd in rookie-of-the year in 2005
-DeAngelo was all-pro in 2008
-Chris Johnson was all-pro in 2009
-Alvin Kamara was was all-pro in 2017

"Just a random list." My arse. LOL All Golden years by great players

GINeric

Reaction score
Folks are going to miss kellen moore much more than they realize now
I think he's destined to be a great OC but never a head coach.
If he wasn't mandated to use Zeke as the starter Pollard would have been a top 3 RB

Folks are going to miss Kellen Moore??? WHO??? Our opposing defenses???? LOOOOOOL!!!!

Kellen Moore's trash *** isn't going to be missed in Dallas. Nobody is going to miss his dumb *** calling pass plays on short yards plays when our backs are averaging 5 and 6 yards a run.

Nobody is going to miss Kellen Moore's inability to make in-game adjustments and his boring *** Nintendo designed plays with no motion, no imagination, no disguise, generic, vanill, formations, etc.. He's TRASH!!!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
A Golden Age of the Cowboys Run-Game Came During 2022...and I suspect you might have missed it. Or failed to appreciate its epic grandeur.

There was an 8 game stretch in 2022 where a certain Dallas running back averaged 6.2 yards per carry over 111 carries. That my friends is King Arthur's Camelot. High Valyria. Elvish Rivendale. The promised land of a promised people. Oh yes, it was forty-burger time on the scoreboards. Running backs don't do that in today's NFL. Maulers up-front don't maul so viciously, play after play. Runners don't dart and dance with such results.

Yet it did happen.

Before I continue with details of this mini "golden age" and describe my view of the vital elements, I'm curious to hear your thoughts:
-What was the stretch of games?
-Who was the running back? (softball question)
-What were the key ingredients and how can it happen again?
What's the relevance here? Did the Cowboy's 2022 running game get them to an NFC championship game? I'm sure all of us Cowboys fans saw what you are talking about but it doesn't matter.

T-RO

Reaction score
I remember the run game rolling for a while.
And then, not.

We were a funny team last year. Extremely up and down, on both offense and defense.

Just look at the two playoff games. Night and day.
The season's mysteries melt a bit when you see this:

Setting aside game 1 where Cowboys had two o-linemen playing their first meaningful action...

11 Games when Steele played
4.9 yards per RB carry​
Pollard 6.0 yards per carry (141 carries, 843 yards)​
Elliott 4.1 yards per carry (146 carries, 596 yards)​
Davis 4.7 yards per carry (21 carries, 98 yards)​

5 games when Steele hurt
3.0 yards per RB carry​
Pollard 4.4 per carry (25 carries, 111 yards)​
Elliott 2.4 yards per carry (45 carries, 110 yards)​
Davis, 2.2 yards per carry (10 carries, 22 yards)​

T-RO

Reaction score
The Playoffs were no surprise regarding the Cowboys rush game.

Last five games - no Steele
3.0 RB YPA

Vs Tampa Bay - no Steele
3.7 RB YPA

Vs 49ers - no Steele
3.4 RB YPA

T-RO

Reaction score
Through the first 9 games of a season - only these backs posted:
100+ carries
6.0 or more yards per carry
6 or more rushing TD

Only the Elite Golden Company in this Club

-Nick Chubb, 2021 (in all-pro season)
-Tony Pollard, 2022
-Chris Johnson, 2009 (on his way to NFL AP Offensive Player of the Year)
-Adrian Peterson, 2007, future HOFer
-Mercury Morris, 1973, 3x pro-bowler
-Jim Brown, HOFer 1958 and 1963
Jim Taylor, HOFer 1962
Joe Perry, HOFer 1954

Last edited:

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Everyone has their sentimental favorites. And some of those guys of the past were special.

But the reality? None of them produced as much per-play as Pollard.

2021...on receiving/rushing touches...6.2 (1,056 yards)
2022...on receiving/rushing touches...5.9 (1,378 yards)

Best Cowboys season, Yard Per Touch:
Dorsett: 5.4
Calvin Hill: 5.7
Zeke: 5.6
Emmitt: 5.6 (Smith only had one season exceeding 5.0)
True, but what my guys have in common is they consistently performed well in the playoffs and won in the playoffs, went to the NFC Championship plenty of times and won 5 Superbowls.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Look at your list bro!
-MJD was 2nd in rookie-of-the year in 2005
-DeAngelo was all-pro in 2008
-Chris Johnson was all-pro in 2009
-Alvin Kamara was was all-pro in 2017

All Golden years
None of them averaged 6.2 over the course of the season. The point is that 6.2 over an 8-game stretch is just an arbitrary distinction. It doesn't mean anything other than "the player had a good 8 games."

You also conveniently left off Tatum Bell, I'm sure I can find others who didn't have accolades.

CJ Anderson, 2015: 70 carries, 445 yards, 6.36 average.

T-RO

Reaction score
True, but what my guys have in common is they consistently performed well in the playoffs and won in the playoffs, went to the NFC Championship plenty of times and won 5 Superbowls.
Wow "your guys" are spiffy. Running backs that won 5 Super Bowls. They probably didn't even need those silly HOF coaches and teammates.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The season's mysteries melt a bit when you see this:

Setting aside game 1 where Cowboys had two o-linemen playing their first meaningful action...

11 Games when Steele played
4.9 yards per RB carry​
Pollard 6.0 yards per carry (141 carries, 843 yards)​
Elliott 4.1 yards per carry (146 carries, 596 yards)​
Davis 4.7 yards per carry (21 carries, 98 yards)​

5 games when Steele hurt
3.0 yards per RB carry​
Pollard 4.4 per carry (25 carries, 111 yards)​
Elliott 2.4 yards per carry (45 carries, 110 yards)​
Davis, 2.2 yards per carry (10 carries, 22 yards)​
This has as much to do with the defenses they played against, as anything. Run defense ranking by ypc:

CIN - 9
NYG - 31
WAS - 17
LAR - 11
PHI - 24
DET - 30
CHI - 26
GB - 28
MIN - 20
NYG - 31
IND - 4

Steele is a good player, but the idea that was singularly responsible for the success of the run game is wrong.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The Golden Age of Cowboys Rushing was during the Emmitt Smith years.
As for Pollard, sure he's a very good running back. But he compares nothing to Emmitt.
Emmitt could tote the rock the entire game, and one game with a separated shoulder.
Skip Peete already told us that after 15 carries in one game, Pollard was basically spent.
We'd better get Pollard some help in the backfield, or he'll be back on IR.
As for KellMo, he'll probably do well in San Diego. Elite quarterbacks often make OC's look great.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A Golden Age of the Cowboys Run-Game Came During 2022...and I suspect you might have missed it. Or failed to appreciate its epic grandeur.

There was an 8 game stretch in 2022 where a certain Dallas running back averaged 6.2 yards per carry over 111 carries. That my friends is King Arthur's Camelot. High Valyria. Elvish Rivendale. The promised land of a promised people. Oh yes, it was forty-burger time on the scoreboards. Running backs don't do that in today's NFL. Maulers up-front don't maul so viciously, play after play. Runners don't dart and dance with such results.

Yet it did happen.

Before I continue with details of this mini "golden age" and describe my view of the vital elements, I'm curious to hear your thoughts:
-What was the stretch of games?
-Who was the running back? (softball question)
-What were the key ingredients and how can it happen again?
that same RB over used tailed off and had 3.8 YPC, 51 YPG and no tds the last 6 games. also was hurt twice in the same stretch. softball question what happened to his speed and explosiveness?? 10mil for 15 carry RB with blocking issues, i sure hope he grows more stays consistent.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Wow "your guys" are spiffy. Running backs that won 5 Super Bowls. They probably didn't even need those silly HOF coaches and teammates.
My guys absolutely had great coaches and teammates. They were tough as nails gave it all they could, all the time. I'll concede that the season is longer today, but the rosters were smaller back then. My guys played virtually every down. Why today's Cowboys can't seem to move forward in the playoffs is debatable, but I think MM has the team heading in the right direction.