A Golden Age of Cowboys Rushing Game Came During 2022

CCBoy

Reaction score
Super Bowl X was won by Pittsburgh over Dallas. The Dallas defense had: Harvey Martin, Ed 'too tall' Jones, Lee Roy Jordan, DD Lewis, a secondary of Mel Renfro, Mark Washington, Charlie Waters, and Cliff Harris. Dallas was led by Roger Staubach and Preston Pearson, included Drew Pearson and Robert Newhouse, with Rayfield Wright up front. The Cowboys were considered a' Cinderella' team.

But the Pittsburgh Steelers were dependent upon a strong running game, again, led by Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier. They used a strong running scheme and defeated a very good Dallas defense for the win.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe we went pass stupid because elliot turned into two yards and a cloud of dust.
It's funny that when Pollard got touches and took over all of the sudden the running game was looking pretty good wasn't it?
Maybe you should check your pass versus run percentages ya think?

Well it's McCarthy's offense now so we'll see how effective it is.
At the same time we'll see how horrible kellen moore does in los angeles.
MM in GB had Favre and Rogers---do we really have a good idea how he will do in play calling?...

T-RO

Reaction score
Imo even the coaching has improved. Addition by subtraction. And now you have a HC who has his guys coaching his way. That's huge because that's just something that doesn't happen in Dallas.
We'll see...

"The Cowboys averaged 391 yards and 27.7 points a contest during Moore's time as the team's offensive coordinator and playcaller, No. 2 in the NFL during that time. The Cowboys ranked No. 7 in rushing (126.6 yards per game) during that span."

Source:
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/n...looks-to-bring-explosiveness-to-l-a-s-offense

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
We'll see...

"The Cowboys averaged 391 yards and 27.7 points a contest during Moore's time as the team's offensive coordinator and playcaller, No. 2 in the NFL during that time. The Cowboys ranked No. 7 in rushing (126.6 yards per game) during that span."

Source:
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/n...looks-to-bring-explosiveness-to-l-a-s-offense
Yup and I'm sure half of them 126.6 yrds would usually come on 1 big drive. 126.6 yrds for this team is pathetic. If moore would have dedicated more time on the run game focus more on when to keep running. Who know what they could've averaged. Callahan knew what he had and elliot was head and shoulders over the league. Moore just didn't want to run. Hearing Aikman and Romo stressing the need to run consistently not let it disappear for whole quarters some of the time.

Does it talk about how Herbert is going to be getting killed with the OL they got when defense start sitting on them 4 comeback route plays? From 20 -20 Moore was great. In the redzone he's one of the worst play callers in the history of the nfl

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yup and I'm sure half of them 126.6 yrds would usually come on 1 big drive. 126.6 yrds for this team is pathetic. If moore would have dedicated more time on the run game focus more on when to keep running. Who know what they could've averaged. Callahan knew what he had and elliot was head and shoulders over the league. Moore just didn't want to run. Hearing Aikman and Romo stressing the need to run consistently not let it disappear for whole quarters some of the time.

Does it talk about how Herbert is going to be getting killed with the OL they got when defense start sitting on them 4 comeback route plays? From 20 -20 Moore was great. In the redzone he's one of the worst play callers in the history of the nfl
They ran too much.

A good run game is a product of throwing the footballl. Forcing the run is the best way to cripple your offense.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
A Golden Age of the Cowboys Run-Game Came During 2022...and I suspect you might have missed it. Or failed to appreciate its epic grandeur.

There was an 8 game stretch in 2022 where a certain Dallas running back averaged 6.2 yards per carry over 111 carries. That my friends is King Arthur's Camelot. High Valyria. Elvish Rivendale. The promised land of a promised people. Oh yes, it was forty-burger time on the scoreboards. Running backs don't do that in today's NFL. Maulers up-front don't maul so viciously, play after play. Runners don't dart and dance with such results.

Yet it did happen.

Before I continue with details of this mini "golden age" and describe my view of the vital elements, I'm curious to hear your thoughts:
-What was the stretch of games?
-Who was the running back? (softball question)
-What were the key ingredients and how can it happen again?
I know Zeke Mr. OLYMPIA Elliot was tearing it up during that time. :thumbup: