A good indicator of whether the Cowboys are a playoff team

Billyd

Reaction score
A Good Indicator of if the Cowboys are a playoff team, will be getting the team through camp without anymore injuries..A DT emerges with at least the ability to do the basics in the run game, to keep the lbrs clear..Lbr integration of LVE GOES SMOOTHLY,and Jaylon is to his or close to his expected recovery level..I think that Jaylon starts in the middle but that LVE rotates in for a large number of snaps..But another indicator would be Jaylon being set free to help control the run game and rush the passer from the Sam Backer...Cowboys when they had Woodson, they would bring him up, and do just that but from the weak side..Just a thought and something to look for..

Other signs of course better play from the secondary and either a trade from outside for a FS/SS candidate or a SS from the team developing quickly...This might be too much to ask...I think the team probly more solid in the secondary, it seems to be playing well in camp, and Richards is exercising his leadership there.

Offensively keys would be the oline playing together and solid in preseason..Although I think they will not play together in all preseason games, they need to be tight and sharp with the tightends when they do...All indications so far is Swaim and Jarwin playing well, with Jarwin getting most of the targets out of Dak and playing well, his blocking being ramped up as well..

My take so far in the receivers is that Austin is integrating well, Gallup is playing well, integrating well but he is a rook, and it will show..I dont think overall in a detrimental way.I think he is a pleasant surprise and is another indicator..Preseason production...

TWIL Showed up in the last few practices, im not sure how good this is, but Twill if healthy should provide a decent WR to Block in the Rg and make some plays..I wouldnt be surprised to see him get a suspension anyway. ROGER SEEMS to get horny when the police magically find nothing after investigating or like in this case, the player cooperates and pays for damages yada..I dont think that the Cowboys would get nicked relying on TWill too much...Maybe we get some type of ROI out of him one more season..

Hurns has been solid with Beasley and if the movement both at the outside around the field is true then this is another indicator he will get back on track..Thompson has been positive here an there no indication he is solid yet..

Linehan seems to be pushing hard but still says the offense needs to solidify their redzone offense..This willl be a solid indicator..This season the Cowboys must close this year both in the first half and the third qtr. I MEAN TDS..and be efficient.So Look for this in preseason and the reg season..if Efficiency returns well, that is half of the overall issues with the offense from the scheme that must improve.

THE symptoms of that will show with Dak and any perceived flaws that some of you continue to see *** a larger problem, I think will be mitigated..Look for it...The benefit to the Defense if the above scoring efficiency will help give the defense time to solidify..Winning TOP, keeping the defense fresh off the field for the first six gamez..Critical..Not that it is mandatory, just something else to see as a positive playoff team property...

I have a scenario that would include early success because teams are not familar with what we are going to do as an offense, It could manefest into success as teams that believe the hype sometimes lose because they forget to football first..And crap starts running downhill..look for that...

MO is a wonderful bed fellow!!

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
Mental toughness. The ability to overcome the adversity that WILL HAPPEN every season is what separates the contenders from the pretenders. Overcoming injuries, bad calls and sometimes even bad luck are all part of what makes a team successful in the playoffs. You can have talent at every position but if you collectively as a team can’t be tough mentally, it won’t matter.

Mental toughness is what most champions exhibit in droves. Hate to say it, but last year, that beagles team showed some grit losing all those key starters including their star QB, LT, star defender and several others, and still overcoming all that to beat the defending champs in the SB. Filly is talented sure, but I refuse to believe that they’re infinitely more talented than Dallas. What separates us from them last year was mental toughness and better coaching.

If this talented young Cowboys team can fight through whatever adversity lies ahead, they can be a team to be reckoned with. I like the talent we have. I’m not thrilled with he coaching but that too can be overcome.

The mental toughness checklist- Stick together. Accept no excuses. Hold each other accountable. Fight through every injury. Believe in your teammates. Fight to the end.

If our 2018 Cowboys are going to be what we all want them to be, let’s all hope they are tough as boot leather between the ears. Because it takes a lot more than talent to win a championship.

Maybe this has been stated already but the real reason why the Eagles won the Superbowl was that their front office procured players that provided quality depth. Having quality backups like Nick Foles made all the difference in the Eagles run to the championship. Their coaching was a plus but it all comes down to players making plays.

If Dak goes down, does anyone really believe that Cooper Rush can lead this team to a Superbowl championship?

Blackrain

Reaction score
A Good Indicator of if the Cowboys are a playoff team, will be getting the team through camp without anymore injuries..A DT emerges with at least the ability to do the basics in the run game, to keep the lbrs clear..Lbr integration of LVE GOES SMOOTHLY,and Jaylon is to his or close to his expected recovery level..I think that Jaylon starts in the middle but that LVE rotates in for a large number of snaps..But another indicator would be Jaylon being set free to help control the run game and rush the passer from the Sam Backer...Cowboys when they had Woodson, they would bring him up, and do just that but from the weak side..Just a thought and something to look for..

Other signs of course better play from the secondary and either a trade from outside for a FS/SS candidate or a SS from the team developing quickly...This might be too much to ask...I think the team probly more solid in the secondary, it seems to be playing well in camp, and Richards is exercising his leadership there.

Offensively keys would be the oline playing together and solid in preseason..Although I think they will not play together in all preseason games, they need to be tight and sharp with the tightends when they do...All indications so far is Swaim and Jarwin playing well, with Jarwin getting most of the targets out of Dak and playing well, his blocking being ramped up as well..

My take so far in the receivers is that Austin is integrating well, Gallup is playing well, integrating well but he is a rook, and it will show..I dont think overall in a detrimental way.I think he is a pleasant surprise and is another indicator..Preseason production...

TWIL Showed up in the last few practices, im not sure how good this is, but Twill if healthy should provide a decent WR to Block in the Rg and make some plays..I wouldnt be surprised to see him get a suspension anyway. ROGER SEEMS to get horny when the police magically find nothing after investigating or like in this case, the player cooperates and pays for damages yada..I dont think that the Cowboys would get nicked relying on TWill too much...Maybe we get some type of ROI out of him one more season..

Hurns has been solid with Beasley and if the movement both at the outside around the field is true then this is another indicator he will get back on track..Thompson has been positive here an there no indication he is solid yet..

Linehan seems to be pushing hard but still says the offense needs to solidify their redzone offense..This willl be a solid indicator..This season the Cowboys must close this year both in the first half and the third qtr. I MEAN TDS..and be efficient.So Look for this in preseason and the reg season..if Efficiency returns well, that is half of the overall issues with the offense from the scheme that must improve.

THE symptoms of that will show with Dak and any perceived flaws that some of you continue to see *** a larger problem, I think will be mitigated..Look for it...The benefit to the Defense if the above scoring efficiency will help give the defense time to solidify..Winning TOP, keeping the defense fresh off the field for the first six gamez..Critical..Not that it is mandatory, just something else to see as a positive playoff team property...

I have a scenario that would include early success because teams are not familar with what we are going to do as an offense, It could manefest into success as teams that believe the hype sometimes lose because they forget to football first..And crap starts running downhill..look for that...

MO is a wonderful bed fellow!!

Not only camp but the whole preseason injury free would bode very well for making the playoffs . Also if our new coaches got a leg up on changing the culture and making an impact with these young players would also make a difference .

Lastly if Garretts game day coaching improved 50% over this off season we are a playoff team .

Billyd

Reaction score
Was it not good two years ago when he was coach of the year? JASON is not the best coach ever, but I think he is much better than he gets credit for..

I do think he could manage his coaches more!

Billyd

Reaction score
Maybe this has been stated already but the real reason why the Eagles won the Superbowl was that their front office procured players that provided quality depth. Having quality backups like Nick Foles made all the difference in the Eagles run to the championship. Their coaching was a plus but it all comes down to players making plays.

If Dak goes down, does anyone really believe that Cooper Rush can lead this team to a Superbowl championship?

Maybe, but i dont think that Pederson really thought that Foles would be able to duet..It worked out..I do agree a vet backup qb would be wise!

jay94

Reaction score
The Eagles shut down week 17 and won the Super Bowl last year.

It's not a spine issue. It's an ability to coach issue. The Eagles guy has it. The Cowboys guy does not.

The Eagles have much more talent let alone a coach advantage as well.

Eagles bird dropping says we have 2 choices, make moves, or choose Cowboys option EVERY YEAR, make EXCUSES.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Another ridiculous thread. Becoming a playoff team is accomplished one of two ways...

1) Win your division
2) Win a wildcard seed by having more wins than at least 10 other teams.

None of the OP's points tip the hat to whether the Cowboys can do either of those things.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Was it not good two years ago when he was coach of the year? JASON is not the best coach ever, but I think he is much better than he gets credit for..

I do think he could manage his coaches more!

Honestly I feel Garrett dose a lot of good things for this team . He is just very mediocre on game day . Two yrs ago he was coach of the year IMO because the O Line was the best in football and Zeke was ripping off 4 or 5 yrds a carry . That left him much less coaching as the down and distances to move the chains were very manageable . That Oline and Power Running game made everyone look better than they really were .