A good indicator of whether the Cowboys are a playoff team

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mental toughness. The ability to overcome the adversity that WILL HAPPEN every season is what separates the contenders from the pretenders. Overcoming injuries, bad calls and sometimes even bad luck are all part of what makes a team successful in the playoffs. You can have talent at every position but if you collectively as a team can’t be tough mentally, it won’t matter.

Mental toughness is what most champions exhibit in droves. Hate to say it, but last year, that beagles team showed some grit losing all those key starters including their star QB, LT, star defender and several others, and still overcoming all that to beat the defending champs in the SB. Filly is talented sure, but I refuse to believe that they’re infinitely more talented than Dallas. What separates us from them last year was mental toughness and better coaching.

If this talented young Cowboys team can fight through whatever adversity lies ahead, they can be a team to be reckoned with. I like the talent we have. I’m not thrilled with he coaching but that too can be overcome.

The mental toughness checklist- Stick together. Accept no excuses. Hold each other accountable. Fight through every injury. Believe in your teammates. Fight to the end.

If our 2018 Cowboys are going to be what we all want them to be, let’s all hope they are tough as boot leather between the ears. Because it takes a lot more than talent to win a championship.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is a very young team.

It needs a great leader at the top to lead them to victory.

Thank goodness we have that.

10zsXsz.gif

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Mental toughness. The ability to overcome the adversity that WILL HAPPEN every season is what separates the contenders from the pretenders. Overcoming injuries, bad calls and sometimes even bad luck are all part of what makes a team successful in the playoffs. You can have talent at every position but if you collectively as a team can’t be tough mentally, it won’t matter.

Mental toughness is what most champions exhibit in droves. Hate to say it, but last year, that beagles team showed some grit losing all those key starters including their star QB, LT, star defender and several others, and still overcoming all that to beat the defending champs in the SB. Filly is talented sure, but I refuse to believe that they’re infinitely more talented than Dallas. What separates us from them last year was mental toughness and better coaching.

If this talented young Cowboys team can fight through whatever adversity lies ahead, they can be a team to be reckoned with. I like the talent we have. I’m not thrilled with he coaching but that too can be overcome.

The mental toughness checklist- Stick together. Accept no excuses. Hold each other accountable. Fight through every injury. Believe in your teammates. Fight to the end.

If our 2018 Cowboys are going to be what we all want them to be, let’s all hope they are tough as boot leather between the ears. Because it takes a lot more than talent to win a championship.
You're right and this can't be emphasized enough. Luckily, one of Garrett's strengths seems to be his ability to get players to play hard for him.

I feel like we have a talented enough roster, just a matter of better handling of game day situations and play calling (especially halftime/late game adjustments) and I think we can go far.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last year, IMO, the Jaguars were more talented than the patriots in the AFC championship game and they led for 3 plus qtrs. What happened is they were not mentally strong enough to handle the pats mojo. Talent alone is not enough.

Wood

Reaction score

litmus test for me is week 10 in philly. Dak looked horrible in his head-head match up with Wentz last year. If that doesn't change this year then its time to break out brown bags.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Is it possible to instill mental toughness when you're giving players a vet day off the 2nd day of training camp?

Garrett showed what he's all about in 2016 when his safe space mentality got his own team eliminated in the playoffs.
Hey, at least this year, there are only like four guys that qualify for the vet day off.

And one is a long snapper.

kskboys

Reaction score
Last year, IMO, the Jaguars were more talented than the patriots in the AFC championship game and they led for 3 plus qtrs. What happened is they were not mentally strong enough to handle the pats mojo. Talent alone is not enough.
Ooooohhh, can't agree w/ you there. Jax shut NE down, refs bailed them out more than once. You know that I'm not a conspiracy nut, Bob. Check out the Jags D penalties during the year, and then compare them to that game. That was disgusting.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ooooohhh, can't agree w/ you there. Jax shut NE down, refs bailed them out more than once. You know that I'm not a conspiracy nut, Bob. Check out the Jags D penalties during the year, and then compare them to that game. That was disgusting.
Jags got some bad calls no doubt. Where I thought they lost their edge was thinking too much about who they were playing. They looked tight in the 4th.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is a very young team.

It needs a great leader at the top to lead them to victory.

Thank goodness we have that.

10zsXsz.gif
Alexander--Oh man...blindsided by red-ball...maybe he will get lucky like in 2016 and it all falls in his lap?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Is it possible to instill mental toughness when you're giving players a vet day off the 2nd day of training camp?

Garrett showed what he's all about in 2016 when his safe space mentality got his own team eliminated in the playoffs.
Dallas lost by 3 points to the top player in the NFL...Rodgers.

Notice a push for defense?

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

If I hadn't seen it w/ my own eyes....I wouldn't have believed it. but that Seahawks loss last year...told me everything I need to know about this organization. Having everything to play for....this team came out like it was a pre-season game. So lackadaisical...coaches missing in warm ups....players half *** stretching. No organization what so ever...IMO the players had checked out of this staff...and was hoping to get people fired. Yeah...there may have been some churning of this staff...but still the same clowns are running this circus.

So I don't see how any of this changes....It's only gonna get worse. Brutal schedule + incompetency = No playoffs. No playoffs= Gotta find a scapegoat. I don't see how Red survives....:rolleyes: