A hypothetical at pick 58

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jachai Polite
6-3, 258, 4.84 forty
Said to have gained sloppy weight before the combine.
College playing weight was likely 245-ish.

Reminds me of some other small-framed college pass rushers; although, they all tested much better at the combine.

Bruce Irvin
6-3, 245, 4.5 forty
Never a full time pass rusher. Max of 8 sacks (2017)
Moved between LB and DE.

Tim Williams (Alabama)
6-3, 244, 4.68 forty
2 total sacks in 2 NFL seasons.
Plays OLB in a 3-4.

Vic Beasley
6-3, 246, 4.53 forty
1 big 15 sack season but only 5 sacks each of the past 2 years
Moved between LB and DE.

He also only really has one year of production at Florida.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

From the team's perspective I would want to keep a database of personality/character evaluations over the years and see which types tend to fail and which types tend to succeed.

For example:
The Charles Haley alpha-dog type crazy seems more likely to succeed than the David Irving type that thinks he is great before he has actually accomplished anything and is a bit lazy type.

There is also the off-field character problems vs football related character problems. Haley and TO didn't get into many legal type problems that I recall.

It's impossible for us as fans to know much about guys like Polite.

The videos from the combine were off the cuff comments that many players probably make in private but Polite was not prepared and talked with a camera/mic rolling.

This pro-day video seems like it was setup to look impromptu but was likely somewhat staged.

I think we are seeing a lot of idiocracy from agents this year with players such as Polite/Ferguson in the draft and DLaw in contract negotiations.

Neither Polite or Ferguson were prepared at the combine and both unwisely gained a bunch of weight. Polite was not prepared for interviews and Ferguson didn't appear to have ever done a 3-cone drill.

DLaw's agent has him waiting to get surgery which is the most moronic thing I can imagine. Intentionally not maximizing your probability of bring healthy is the dumbest thing a player/agent can do, IMO.

visionary

Reaction score
Head case-itis and poor work ethic are nearly incurable diseases

I'd stay away